Sonia Bianchetti Review on the GPF | Golden Skate

Sonia Bianchetti Review on the GPF

skateflower

Match Penalty
GPF review by Sonia Blanchetti.
http://www.soniabianchetti.com/writings_2011grandprix.html

Patrick Chan of Canada placed first in both short and free. Performing to "Concerto de Aranjuez," Patrick struggled to control the landings of his two quadruple toe loop attempts and also fell on a triple Lutz, but still got enough points to win the free skating over Takahashi. There is no doubt that Patrick is a fantastic skater. The way he moves his body, the depth of his edges, his natural elegance and class are surely unique; still, yesterday he was not as convincing as usual, he seemed to me unable to reach the heart of the audience, he left me cold. To me, he was overmarked once again.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Sonia Bianchetti wrote about her impressions of both the junior and senior GPF - but all that matters is that she was displeased with Patrick Chan's FS marks? :rolleye: There are people on this forum who can be over the top in their Chan fandom, but I wouldn't blame anyone who reacts negatively to your choice of thread title and highlighted comment.

I'm going to quote some of Sonia's other comments:

On Carolina Kostner:
Every movement of her body, head, and hands was perfectly in line with her superb music, creating a great harmony between the elements she was performing and the music. Just magic. The perfect melding of sport with art.

Jason Brown:
I was impressed by the beauty and the elegance of his skating. A very promising young man.

Dai:
The whole program was just superb. He is inside his music; he lives it and transmits his own feelings and emotions with each movement and through fabulous steps and step sequences.

Hanyu:
...a real talent and a very promising young skater. He is technically excellent, very flexible, and the way he glides on the ice is marvellous.

Davis and White:
The music is very beautiful and their interpretation just fantastic. The program is of a very high technical level, with beautiful lifts executed at unbelievable speed exactly on the music. And their skating on deep edges is like a dream to me. They literally fly on the ice, transmitting deep, memorable emotion. This program is simply breathtaking; it is one for the ages.

It's really a very positive column from Ms. Bianchetti, and the quotes I chose are only part of it. I think it serves no purpose to focus specifically on her comments regarding Chan.

figureskate

On the Ice
It's really a very positive column from Ms. Bianchetti, and the quotes I chose are only part of it. I think it serves no purpose to focus specifically on her comments regarding Chan.
And actually she didn't say that chan is not talented

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sonia Bianchetti wrote about her impressions of both the junior and senior GPF - but all that matters is that she was displeased with Patrick Chan's FS marks? :rolleye: There are people on this forum who can be over the top in their Chan fandom, but I wouldn't blame anyone who reacts negatively to your choice of thread title and highlighted comment.

I agree. If you're going to post the article, can you please do it in context and instead of using it to push your opinion/viewpoint?

Not only is a lack of context bad for forum discussion it also puts the person quoted in an inappropriate light (i.e. that Sonia Bianchetti is a Chan basher).

Thanks for posting the other quotes, Buttercup. I thought they were interesting, in particular that she did not harp on Jason Brown's lack of a 3A, but rather the promise he offers to the sport.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker

I'm going to quote some of Sonia's other comments:

On Carolina Kostner:

Jason Brown:

Dai:

Hanyu:

Davis and White:

I agree. If you're going to post the article, can you please do it in context and instead of using it to push your opinion/viewpoint?

Not only is a lack of context bad for forum discussion it also puts the person quoted in an inappropriate light (i.e. that Sonia Bianchetti is a Chan basher).

Thanks for posting the other quotes, Buttercup. I thought they were interesting, in particular that she did not harp on Jason Brown's lack of a 3A, but rather the promise he offers to the sport.

This.

skateflower

Match Penalty

Is it also true that Chan is the only skater she said anything negative in her entire piece. Does that speak some volume?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
This subject has come up on more than one message board. If Patrick is a darling of the judges, then why is he a darling?
What did Patrick do that other skaters did not that earned the judges' favor? Is it Patrick's fault that he gets overmarked, or is the other skaters' faults for not doing what is necessary to get overmarked?
Patrick was not born with the judges' favor ....... somehow he earned it.

Puchi

On the Ice
I can see both sides of the argument, but this Chan thing is getting really tiresome.

figureskate

On the Ice
I do believe that Patrick is not a darling of anyone, as I don't think that judges have any darling. he is the best quality skater of the moment. Anything he does has a superior quality, from steps, to spins, transitions etc. And that's why he is ALWAYS above others, because even with a fall anything else remains exceptional. The lutz at the end of the program with that kind of transition is crazy! Anyway when you see a skater falling and earning more points than other good skaters who didn't, you feel like judging is unfair. My first impression when i saw virtue moir's scores in the sd i thought it was unfair, because other excellent couples were down in the rank (and it is obvious that they are the best along with D/W)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Nice classy article.

As to Patrick's scores, he's marked according to the system. If asked to simply rank the competitors, a la 6.0 style, some judges might not put him first. But their job is to mark according to the rules, with no way of controling the final outcome. That's one of the objectives of the COP - to be objective and accountable. The chips fall as they do. Under this system, Patrick receives high marks even with flaws, but extremely high marks when he's flawless or nearly so. He earns them with his skills. All competitors are welcome to get scores like he does, if they could. The same rules apply to all, in the open.

Ms Biachetti was a 6.0 judge so perhaps instinctly she feels Chan should not have won, but it's not accurate to say he was overscored.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
So the very person who a couple Chan fanatics used to point out as an expert opinion to how Chan is not overmarked now comes out with the exact words "to me he was overmarked once again". Ouch. :laugh: Which was a foolish example to begin with as it was quoting from last years Worlds where nobody denied he was the clear winner. Little surprise the couple over the top Chan fanboys continue to be in denial to reality that everyone else sees as well.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ms Bianchetti appreciates Chan's skating and she still does. Doesn't mean she has to think he has to win all the time. Neither do I. I may be what you consider OTT Chan fan, but can you point out if I have ever complained when he does not win? I defend his win just as I defend those who beat him.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Is it also true that Chan is the only skater she said anything negative in her entire piece. Does that speak some volume?
If that was the point you wanted to emphasize, you should have done so in your first post, while still referring to the rest of her commentary. In which, BTW, she did criticize at least one other GPF medalist:

Alena Leonova of Russia placed third. She executed a triple toe-triple toe combination and three other triple jumps, but fell on the triple Lutz. In my opinion, her program needs to be improved from an artistic point of view. Too much movement of her arms up and down without any meaning at all.

Sounds like she only saw the FPs.

I like reading Sonia. She knows her stuff but judges with her heart and taste, rather than a calculator. I'm pleased that she likes Sui/Han so much and I look forward to seeing the Canadian junior pair she praised also.

She loved both D/W and V/M equally but it seems the "tears in her eyes" led her to agree with the D/W win.

Her words about Dai are perfect IMO. When he's "on," she seems to recognize that there is an artistic genius and intensity about him that elevates him above every other male skater these days, and when his jumps are there, as at the GPF, it's thrilling. I know I should say "except the quad," but for a Dai fan, he almost got it with that attempt so it was a near-success. :biggrin:

I don't think I agree that Javy resembles Brian. Javy seems like a tenderer personality and a more versatile performer, with a humorous side.

It sounds like she had a really good time for a change, and with all the gloom and doom talk about skating, that's nice to hear!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm glad she found this GPF an exciting event as I did, especially the Men's cometition. I find it hard to understand that many keep focusing on and whining about a couple of discarded scores, instead of appreciating so many great SO worthy skates.

one4V&M

Spectator
I agree with Sonia's candid take on the GPF, despite being a Chan uber. Her assessment of Patrick 's skate was pretty much in line with mine, without being left cold. Patrick is an enormous talent but by his own admission he's not a dancer, therefore interpretation and performance do not come naturally to him IMO. He has to work at it. And I feel the high degree of difficult in Patrick's programs add to the length of time it takes for him to really get the music. This program is no different.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Welcome to GS, one4V&M! We hope you will post long and often.

Patrick is still quite young-his inner dancer may not have yet entirely revealed itself yet. I think of Brian Boitano. He was 25 before Sandra Bezic helped him give birth to his inner dancer with Les Patineurs and Napoleon programs.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
This subject has come up on more than one message board. If Patrick is a darling of the judges, then why is he a darling?
What did Patrick do that other skaters did not that earned the judges' favor? Is it Patrick's fault that he gets overmarked, or is the other skaters' faults for not doing what is necessary to get overmarked?
Patrick was not born with the judges' favor ....... somehow he earned it.

Exactly!:yes:

I was supposed to thank the thread starter, like always, that he/she finally found the real Sonia Bianchetti's blog. But I can't, as the thread starter's sole purpose on finding anything negative on Patrick Chan's skating was obvious and distasteful.

I, too, don't find much similarity between Fernandez and Joubert except they both have had excellent jumps. Fernandez is much more capable of wider ranged artistic expressions. With his consistent jumping abilities, he has a bright future waiting for him.