Name where/when this performance took place | Golden Skate

Name where/when this performance took place

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
http://youtu.be/H5HRP9JAxx0

This randomly popped up when I was on Youtube and it intrigued me.

At the beginning of the video, when did Michelle do that? It looks like she was performing her 2005 Long Program with full CoP technical content. I'm assuming it was 2005 Champions on Ice, but I wonder why she'd be doing a 3Lutz-2Toe-2Loop in that kind of setting.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Can't answer your question, but thank you for posting the link. I thought I had seen all of Michelle's talk show appearance videos, but not this one.
Josh Farris in the audience how cute was that.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Could the clip have been from the '01/'02 season, when she wore a gold dress for "Fields of Gold"?

Dragonlady

Final Flight
http://youtu.be/H5HRP9JAxx0

This randomly popped up when I was on Youtube and it intrigued me.

At the beginning of the video, when did Michelle do that? It looks like she was performing her 2005 Long Program with full CoP technical content. I'm assuming it was 2005 Champions on Ice, but I wonder why she'd be doing a 3Lutz-2Toe-2Loop in that kind of setting.

Kwan did not compete in the 2004/05 season other than at Nationals and at Worlds so she was using her COI appearances to get her LP out in front of an audience before these competitions. It's such a shame that Michelle was so leery of competing under CoP. I've always been of the opinion that she was the prototype skater for CoP - strong basic skating and blade control, very nice jumps, lots of transitions (especially pre-2002), and nice spins. Kwan wasn't the best at everything - Irina had bigger jumps and more speed, Sasha had more flexability, but she was the best overall skater I've ever seen in the Ladies Division.

It's definitely a later Michelle, judging by her hair and the shape of her face.

I agree that the CoP would have been very kind to Michelle because of her superior basic skating skills and, as you say, Dragonlady, her all-round excellence. As you pointed out, she had more transitions pre-2003, but a good choreographer would have designed a transition-filled program to meet to CoP requirements, and Michelle would have brought it to life in A+ style. Remember the way she gave every movement its maximum beauty in Lyra Angelica! And can you imagine what she would have been able to do with the footwork sequences!

The interview itself is charming. She's so warm and at ease, and at one point when attention is called to the number of little girls in the audience who are brandishing her picture, she says she'll be happy to stay and sign every one of them.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think that clip is from Champions on Ice in 2005. I saw that show and Michelle did the three-jump combo--right in front of where I was sitting-- during her program to This Used to Be My Playground. I also recall her wearing the gold dress (but I could be wrong). Michelle was looking so good then--her jumps seemed stronger and higher. What a shame that she was felled by injury and lost her last chance to compete at the Olympics (and in a relatively weak field, too).

Bartek

On the Ice
I think that clip is from Champions on Ice in 2005. I saw that show and Michelle did the three-jump combo--right in front of where I was sitting-- during her program to This Used to Be My Playground. I also recall her wearing the gold dress (but I could be wrong). Michelle was looking so good then--her jumps seemed stronger and higher. What a shame that she was felled by injury and lost her last chance to compete at the Olympics (and in a relatively weak field, too).

She has some CoP friendly qualities but she would've certainly struggled with getting high levels on spins. This part of skating was her weakest one in my opinion. And spins when done with all the features give a lot points. Irina and Sasha had this advantage over Michelle, they had all sorts of difficult variations, change of edges etc. But in PCS Michelle should score high. I was surprised that she received rather low PCS marks at her only CoP competition (Worlds 2005). A few weeks after that she skated good Bolero at 2005 Marshall's US Skating Challenge. That performance would've given her the bronze at Worlds.