News re India and Portugal | Golden Skate

News re India and Portugal

lulu

Final Flight
I agree skating should become more global in scope. I read a few articles about some Indian skaters. There was a named Singh who skate in Canada, I think there was an article about them on the Golden skate awhile back.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
As far as I am concerned, the whole idea of National Federations is somewhat outdated. You see this especially with pairs and dance. I mean, if Jenny and Fedor want to compete in pairs, one of them has to change his/her citizenship, and they cannot continue to compete in US and Canadians singles Nationals respectively. There is nothing good for the sport in this. Also, you get teams with incredible depth, such as US or Japanese ladies who can only send 3 skaters, whereas skaters from other countries can go to Worlds with far less talent than the 4th place US or Japanese ladies. I am not sure what the solution is, but I definitely think it's time for some kind of a change. Also, what does it mean that Portugese federation is no longer an ISU member? Does this mean that a Portugese skater would not be able to compete at ISU events? :confused:

tdnuva

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Does this mean that a Portugese skater would not be able to compete at ISU events?

The ISU publication sounded to me like there are no portuguese skaters.... :D

Matt

On the Ice
tdnuva said:
The ISU publication sounded to me like there are no portuguese skaters.... :D

Well, there was a Portuguese skater, according to the skater bios on the ISU website. Her name was Giovana Almeida Leto, but she hadn't competed since the 1997/1998 season. She's the only one I've ever seen from Portugal