Movies you want to see? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Movies you want to see?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
There are parts of Schindler I don't like from a storytelling perspective. Such as the sex scenes. Spielberg was using it as a "creative interpretation" of the tension within Schindler's mind about what he was doing (Jews and cheating on his wife) I just don't think it advances the story at all. Same with Munich. Oh look a woman took off her top, um why? Or Saving Private Ryan where Ryan remembers his brothers basically taking advantage and raping a girl. Supposed to be endearing you to the story of how close the brothers werent and were, but you're just like "really?" Glad his latest war movie/serious piece didn't follow that same route. Though the Father-Son relationship theme was still there. Very classic Spielberg in that way.

Spielberg is my favorite director of any era. I just love his work. I might be nitpicky (some call it prudish) but he's just amazing. I've never had uncontrollable sobbing (uncontrollable tears, yes, sobs, no.) before in a movie theater.

the entire theater applauded when it was over. it's that good. last time I was in a theater that did that I saw Toy Story 3 (also an amazing film).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wasn't as moved by the Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but I think that's because I knew how it would end...

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yes, that happened to me with the book! because first I saw the movie and then I read the book and I had a bitter taste from the beginning, like, let the end be different..!
But I liked the movie, the whole set up and the actors.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am going to skip War Horse. It would be too emotional for me. I think Dances with Wolves was a great film but there is no way I could stand to see the horse and the wolf shot again.
ref: Toni's remarks...I think some movies do have gratuitous sex scenes for marketing purposes , but I also think that in many movies, sex scenes play a very important roll, such as in the swedish version of
"Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" aka "Men who hate Women" In this day and age, Compared to now what's now out there on the web, what you see in the theatre is pretty mild.
Chris who would rather see a boob than a horse get shot.

Johar

Medalist
I saw War Horse again last night and am please that 3rd time was the charm. The first two viewings people around me texted or had their cell phones ring loudly during the film.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am going to skip War Horse. It would be too emotional for me. I think Dances with Wolves was a great film but there is no way I could stand to see the horse and the wolf shot again.
ref: Toni's remarks...I think some movies do have gratuitous sex scenes for marketing purposes , but I also think that in many movies, sex scenes play a very important roll, such as in the swedish version of
"Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" aka "Men who hate Women" In this day and age, Compared to now what's now out there on the web, what you see in the theatre is pretty mild.
Chris who would rather see a boob than a horse get shot.

I don't care what it is, if it doesn't advance the story it doesn't need to be in the film. And I'll never understand how violence against humans is better to view than violence - even when it's a mercy - against animals. I think they're both incredibly graphic.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, if you like people more than animals, then I suppose seeing the horse get shot in Dances with Wolves is easier than seeing the old mule skinner in the same movie get shot full of arrows while he says, IIRC, "Take care of my mules".. But both incidents are important to the plot and the movie. The truth is that life is full of sex and violence, love and hate. Good and evil. Truth and lies. Sometimes we would all like to retreat to our own fantisy worlds, but that is all they are...we must come back and deal with reality that is our lives. Dramatic Movies reflect real life in many cases. Unfortunately, the new Sherlock Holmes movie is way too life like in the way it portrays the military industrial complex.
Chris who likes happy endings but in general likes individuals more than people.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
now here is real life in the movies...

>>> Tuskegee Airmen Breaking Race Barrier ... Again?

RED TAILS: HOLLYWOOD DIDN'T WANT TO FUND BECAUSE OF BLACK CAST
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/2105-full.html#206017)
Famed director George Lucas says his soon-to-be-released movie on the
Tuskegee Airmen almost didn't make it into theatres because the film
industry didn't want to fund its release because of the all-black
cast. "It's because it's an all black movie. It has no major white
roles in it at all," Lucas said in an interview
(http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/10/george-lucas-hollywood-di_n_1197227.html)
with Comedy Central's Jon Stewart this week. Lucas said Red Tails,
which he funded himself to a budget of about $58 million, met nothing
but closed doors in the film industry, which Lucas was depending on to
market and distribute the film. He said Red Tails was expensive and
cost more than traditional black-cast films that play to smaller
audiences. "And they don't believe there's any foreign market for it,"
Lucas said, adding that if the film isn't successful, larger budgets
for future films with black casts may be in jeopardy.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/2105-full.html#206017

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
George Lucas is making it about race - I'd bet it's more because of how his last few films fared by critics. Or they read the script and it was pathetic. If it were Spielberg or some other director who's known for good scripts/movies then it'd be different. cult classics like Star Wars don't translate as great director. Especially since he directed, what, two of the six movies? And was heavily critisized for his lack of story/script for all of the prequils.

I think there probably really was a problem getting financing for the movie. While I agree with you that Lucas isn't the greatest storyteller, his point is valid. There is generally a difficulty getting certain kinds of pictures made, both because it's assumed they won't appeal to the mainstream American audience and because it's feared they won't sell worldwide. That's not to say such movies don't get made--in fact, Spielberg was involved with two movies dealing with African American subject matter and a largely black cast, Amistad and The Color Purple--but such films have a harder time getting bankrolled. Keep in mind that a lot of the people in charge in Hollywood these days are bottom-line folk, not movie lovers. They want money in their pockets, and that tends to make people less daring. Some years ago I remembered reading that action movies got preference in Hollywood because it was easier to translate their appeal to overseas audience, because they didn't depend on dialogue and the subtleties of emotions. You could just show Schwarzenegger glowering and flexing his muscles, and growling three words, and the drift of the scene was made clear. In other words, big muscles meant bigger bucks.

Fortunately, Lucas is rich enough to bankroll his own movies. He's also famously thrifty. I think the original Star Wars cost about 9 million dollars, and even in those days there were far more expensive films being made. Lucas storyboards everything and plans things out to the nearest quarter of an inch.

I emphatically agree with you about the storyline and character development in the three Star Wars prequels, though. And even if someone within the production team noticed at the time, who would venture to bring up these worries to--gasp--George Lucas? Really; breathes there a Lucasfilm employee who's going to say to the big honcho that his taste is in his mouth?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know that they're talking bottomline - that's why I'm saying it's not a race thing... yeah Hollywood is probably twenty some years behind the rest of the country when it comes to race (which is probably why they pull the whole "we're sooooooooooo racist in this country" no, just in your little high school party atmosphere). I'm not denying we still have race issues, but I don't believe that Red Tails will bomb because of the black cast, just because a lot of folks are like me, I'm not going to waste money on a movie I know has a good chance of being really stupid. Again, not because of the cast, but because the guy behind the scenes can't tell a good story to save his life these days.

If I'm wrong, then YAY, but movies are too expensive to hope for and not get it... IMO.

Our best source will probably be Chris, who sounds as though he's predisposed to seeing it, being an aviation buff. If by some miracle I get to see it, I'll report to you.

Johar

Medalist
I may see it as well because I also like aviation movies. Our cinema has been slow getting the new films in, though.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I usually see movies when they get to redbox or can order on cable but cabe is so greedy-no competition here. Toni, I was gonna post a thread about movies. I saw snippets on Golden Globes. Has anyone seen the Madonna directed W.E. about Wallis Simpson. The one movie I know I want to see is Iron Lady. I hope you'll give a synopsis of the others you'll list. Last year I only really wanted to see Black Swan and The King's Speech. I think we are lucky to get 5 good pictures a year out of Hollywood. I am wondering where the good comedy writers have gone? Bridesmaids was funny. Anything else out with lotsa laughs.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It will be interesting to see if the story "sings". In my aviation history magazines over many years, I have read many Redtail stories, so I know there is pleanty of good material there to draw from. I am going to try and keep an open mind. I saw "Flyboys" in the theatre and unlike many of my pilot friends, I mildly liked it. But I was not expecting a "Blue Max" with many real airplanes. The real story here is not so much what they DID in the air, it was breaking the color barrier and getting into the air. And dealing with the prejudice once there. In many ways, it reminds me of the American citizens of Japanese descent that were thrown into concentration camps by Roosevelt at the start of WWII and then allowed to fight in the US Army in Italy. They had to prove something too, and the problem wasnt getting them to fight, the problem was holding them back. Just hope between nats and Four Conts, I dont come home and have seen my movies move on!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If Red Tails bombs it may be gone pretty early in theaters... only the box office successes stay on for any length of time. it's too expensive for movie theaters to keep them in their establishments. (I know people gripe about the price gouging, but I feel for tehaters. they are at the mercy of the distribution companies. And with people bringing in their own consessions these days, they're not making a heck of a lot of $$... most of their revenue come from the drinks and snacks.)

But, speaking of box office... anyone - without running to wikipedia - tell me what is considered the first Summer Blockbuster (which started what we have today)?

And on that same theme, do you know what movie brought on the change/addition of PG-13 to the ratings system? do you know why?

But, speaking of box office... anyone - without running to wikipedia - tell me what is considered the first Summer Blockbuster (which started what we have today)?

And on that same theme, do you know what movie brought on the change/addition of PG-13 to the ratings system? do you know why?

I'm assuming it was Jaws.

I can't remember the first PG-13 movie, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were either a Halloween or a Friday the 13th film.

Thanks, Toni!

I love movie trivia. But I think you have me beat on actual movie attendance. You sound very well-informed, which leaves me in the dust where recently released films are concerned. I love things like old movies, even silents, and I have books about actors and suchlike. (This is why I so enjoyed Hugo.) I have a vague recollection that the first X-rated movie was Midnight Cowboy, which might just qualify for an R these days. But PG-13...nothing comes to mind. When are you going to divulge the answer?