Lysacek optimistic his issues with U.S. skating close to resolution | Golden Skate

Lysacek optimistic his issues with U.S. skating close to resolution

Neat article. Good on the guy who bid at the charity auction for a skating lesson with Lysacek for his daughter! :agree:

"It was never an issue of dollars and cents," even if the USFS funding offer was less than he hoped for. Sources with knowledge of the negotiations told me the main sticking point involved individual sponsorship contracts Lysacek currently has and could get in the future.

I guess we will never know the true skinny about that. Did greedy Lysacek want too much money from USFS or did USFS try to horn in on Lysacek's sweetheart deals?

Did it seem like Hersh was trying to hint that the U.S. Olympic Committee might have leaned on USFS a little to get it worked out?

Well, Hersh is just saying that the general public is not familiar with Abbott's name. I think this is quite true, but I wonder how many people know who Evan Lysacek or Johnny Weir are, either.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Well, Hersh is just saying that the general public is not familiar with Abbott's name. I think this is quite true, but I wonder how many people know who Evan Lysacek or Johnny Weir are, either.

weren't they those guys in that figure skating movie with Will Ferrel and that Napoleon Dynamite guy?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I imagine Lysacek is even more eager to come back now, if he watched the recent US championships. Men's was a bloodbath of vomit. Outside of Jeremy Abbott, it was a painful mess. I'm not fond of Lysacek, but if he can skate better than those guys, which shouldn't be hard, than please, by all means.

I think we could certainly use a strong, steady men's singles skater about now, no disrespect meant to Abbott or the others.

As for Lysacek not being known either, some nonskating fans might remember him from Dancing with the Stars. Either way, I'm glad to hear that we might see him in competition next year. And hey, if he goes back to Frank Carroll, maybe he can revive Mirai a bit as well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I don't think there will be blood between Evan and Johnny maybe a few loose Vera Wang feathers, a sequin or two but not blood with those two. I kind of think these two had their time. Evan was a good competitor who seemed to be a the right place at the right time and was a bit lucky everyone skated so poorly at the Olympics - even then it was a toss up with Plushy. However, Samson and Delilah is a good choice of music = doesn't it usually lead to medals - Buttle, Davis and White, Rochette come to mind. Just a coincidence.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You wont see Evan back. He is no dummy and I am sure knows he has no prayer to compete with someone like Chan so what is the point. Another excuse will be around the corner. This is just his way of keeping his name in the spotlight. Weir likewise also wont return.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I imagine Lysacek is even more eager to come back now, if he watched the recent US championships. Men's was a bloodbath of vomit. Outside of Jeremy Abbott, it was a painful mess. I'm not fond of Lysacek, but if he can skate better than those guys, which shouldn't be hard, than please, by all means.

So he should be excited that he can come back and be 2nd at Nationals and maybe 5th-7th at Worlds, LOL! Give up his marquee professional period and reputation as World and Olympic Champion when he last competed just for that.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
As for Lysacek not being known either, some nonskating fans might remember him from Dancing with the Stars.

I think the majority of Americans who know him only remember him from DWTS. That show garners very high ratings, and the weakness of the US ladies, I believe, has translated to lower overall US interest across all events. Regardless of how he is known, the fact is a lot of people who don't watch skating regularly know who he is and that could help increase viewership somewhat.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Neat article. Good on the guy who bid at the charity auction for a skating lesson with Lysacek for his daughter! :agree:

I guess we will never know the true skinny about that. Did greedy Lysacek want too much money from USFS or did USFS try to horn in on Lysacek's sweetheart deals?

Did it seem like Hersh was trying to hint that the U.S. Olympic Committee might have leaned on USFS a little to get it worked out?

Is it "unkind" to say Evan is "greedy" when he is just trying to make a living and capitalize on his OGM as all the men before him have tried? No, because you don't personally know what is going on and it is just speculation. At least i interpret you that way. And you are not writing an article calling him greedy.

Why then would you tell people they are "unkind" when they (along with you in so many words) imply Chan is the favorite skater currently amongst the judges and seems to have a fall cushion? (His gluteas maximus, LOL) He does indeed have a fall cushion!:laugh:

Or maybe you do see him as greedy. Perhaps he is just a businessman at heart tending do his product as best he can. Donald Trump, now he is greedy, but Evan? Nah.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
You wont see Evan back. He is no dummy and I am sure knows he has no prayer to compete with someone like Chan so what is the point. Another excuse will be around the corner. This is just his way of keeping his name in the spotlight. Weir likewise also wont return.

Weir may try as he likes to train, but he of course will not come close. It is publicity he needs, and it will please his very large gay (and non-gay fan base.) He will be forgotten by them quickly, especially if a younger North American skater starts using more sequins, plays with his image a bit. Ross miner could do this, but too early in his carer. Adam Rippon is too much a purist in his skating and would not want nororiety. But clearly someone will come along eventually in USFS and copy Weir's "plan" for success." With tolerance at an all time high for Weir's brand of "entertainment/skating" formula, expect a copy cat. How many Madonnas are there in music in the last 30 years?

I believe Evan is very confident. I think he will train hard, attempt a comeback and he will do well. Evan has won an OGM, he is no featherweight. I think he still has it, the mental toughness, the calm that wins medals, even more than talent. If he is healthy, he is a contender with most of the current crew with injuries, falls. How can anyone not count out Plushenko, with alledged surgeries coming, age 29 and think Evan is a joke. Money was the issue, not training, desire, or injury this season. I think he's a great skater and moreso a proven very tough, seasoned competitor. I'd put a little money on his comeback bid. I believe his sincerity. What else does he have to do? He isn't ready to quit and good for him. Glad to see him in the mix.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Nobody is suggesting Plushenko could be competitive with Chan, and Plushenko at Europeans skated far better than Evan has his whole career (he would have crushed Evan in Vancouver with the same LP). Evan already peaked and it wasnt even that high a peak. Plushenko is a legend, that is why he is given some chance (and he isnt really given a chance if you mean winning) even at an old age. Evan is not.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Rewatch Evan's Olympic skate. It was a well crafted, great LP which he skated with great attack. 2012 Euros was Plush's best outing in years.. Evgeni was given rep points for his LP 2010. It was very shaky, no transitions, devoid of choreography. It is a joke it was so close. Plushinflation. My point is that you are laughing at Lysacek whose gold medal was just 2 years ago. Everyone seems to think Plush can pull a bronze despite spinal problems in Sochi. Maybe but only with a lot of rep points and I suspect if he gets there, it will be a controversy. I like him a lot, but think it unlikely he can even still skate at all two years from now if said surgeries are very accurate and not media manipulation.

Evan could pull bronze much easier than pPush, and several posters think Evgeni can honestly medal in two years. I think it is hopeful wishes for a great champion. I think Euros will be remembered as his last triumph but only Artur skated really well. Plush had no competiton there. His compeitors are Chan, Dai. Hanyu, Abbott. I think he, Artur deserved the gold, and Evgeni silver, but Internet is not like being there. So, whatever. He is such a magnetic performer. He gets the bravura points every time. I like him more now than baby Plush who could jump all day. No one has his charisma/star quality of the current eligibles. I wish him well.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Plushenkos LP at the Europeans is already enough to prove his chances of a medal in Sochi would be MUCH higher than Evans if his body doesnt break down (which could easily happen to either Evgeny or Evan at this point). Evan has never skated at the level Plushenko skated at Europeans this year, and never will. You yourself are even admiting that Plushenko will always get rep points and even in Vancouver where he skated poorly for his standards and Evan skated at his very best, Evan still barely won. Plushenko gets those rep points since he is a legend and one of the all time greats, Evan will not since he is neither. Since you were responding to me it also makes no sense for you to use the Plushenko example as I have also downplayed Evgenys Sochi chances and said I have my doubts if he will even compete as well, so your attempted point in using him as your counterpoint when replying to me is even more confusing.

Anyway since you want to entertain Plushenko as an example, Plushenko can afford to come back for the Olympics just to place 3rd-5th if he skates his best. Why he would want to I have no idea, but it doesnt do anything to his reputation and weatlh which is already secure. Evan on the other hand would have nothing to gain by coming back just to maybe fight for a bronze medal (which you are conceding is the best he could do). The only reason he has any value in North America is that he is remembered as an Olympic Champion and his window to make money as a pro will only lost probably until Sochi where regardless how the U.S men fare he will be yesterdays news, especialy with NA Chan the certain gold medalist there. He is best to cash in on that window before it closes, especialy already wasting a year with his wishy washy comeback that never happened. You can think what you want but I am pretty sure we wont see Evan back. He is no dummy, what would he be coming back for, and giving up another year on Stars on Ice, just to come 2nd at Nationals (or maybe 1st if Abbott has an off event and he hasnt declined much) and fight for a top 5 or 6 at Worlds. Please.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He can beat Abbott. Rep points.

They've never let Evan slide on that... considering he was world champion in 2009 but not US champion in 2010...

I don't see Evan - or for that matter - Johnny really mounting a comeback. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but only if they are serious - which neither gives me reason to think they are. If this is going to be a half-hearted attempt, please don't waste our time boys.