What Goes Up Usually Comes Down - Skaters on the decline | Golden Skate

What Goes Up Usually Comes Down - Skaters on the decline

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This isn't a very nice topic but not everything is roses. Some things aren't so positive. Not everyone can be getting better; there are sadly skaters and teams that are or will decline for whatever reason - lack of money, age, injuries, lack of interest etc.

It sounds rather bold and brash but I think Brian Joubert is on the decline. He hasn't really skated well for a while although at nationals he seemed to improve however, that is nationals and you don't get a great indicator of how someone skated until you see them in an international competition. He use to always be a sure podium finish and now we can't even be sure he is in the top ten. I would add Oda to the list simply because he is being passed by teammates and seems to have fallen out of the good books of the Japanese federation. Makaraova isn't getting artistically or technically stronger and is looking to be pushed out due to her "elderly" age lol by the Russian baby ballerinas. Sad but there are only so many team spots. The French dance team of P and B while good to many look like they should grab their world bronze medal and leave on top or be pushed off by the second wave of Americans, Canadians and all the Russians and Italians. Of course it would be nice to stay on as long as you can or want but remember Stoijko left reusing former programs (oops isn't that what Joubert is doing could this be his swan song???) I am not sure they are fading any more but Jenna McCorkell and husband Kevin Vanderperrin have been the benefactors of weak national competition but they seem to be no longer growing as skaters. I see great opportunities in ice shows though. The Zhangs look like they need a shot or jolt. I think it is sad to say but safe to say Suguri faded away all together. Rachel flatt seems to have faded at least for the Season as has Mirai but I think a lot think Mirai has a future but she needs to make a decision - does she want it???? I hope whatever they decide they have a wonderful future (if in fact these skaters are fading).

Brenda

On the Ice
I don't think that's bold or brash regarding Joubert at all. I think most people would agree that he's been on a decline for quite awhile now. too many injuries, consistency issues, bad choreography. he's improved his artistry and spins quite a bit, but overall his form hasn't been as good as it was in the mid-2000s; not consistently anyway.

as for Makarova; I don't think age is really the problem, she's a lot younger than Carolina or Alissa...she just can't compete without a flip or lutz, and not getting full credit on her other triples. I don't think her artistic growth has necessarily stopped though...she seems to be the type of skater whose presentation really depends on the choreography. Her short program this year (done by Averbukh) is quite lovely and brings out her best qualities. Her long program is badly costumed and full of empty posing that makes her look tacky. It's a shame that from her interviews, she seems to really believe in the Marilyn program and rarely mentions the much better short program.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think the popularity just switch to the other side of the world
Japan, Korea and even China, FS is very popular or is on the rise

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Slight decline- Zhang & Zhang, Makarova, Czisny, Pang & Tong, Evora & Ladwig, Oda, Phaneuf. It is all relative of course. Some of those were never that good to begin with.

Major decline- Flatt, Nagasu, Verner, Joubert, Suguri obviously (if she is even still an active skater, presumably down to trying to quality out of local events to regionals by now).

Nadine

Record Breaker
An oldie but goodie, nevertheless apropos for this topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi9sLkyhhlE :biggrin:

Skating is a fickle sport, just like so many others, one day you're winning (& everybody is on your side), the next not, and so it goes... ;)

It's best not to take it too seriously, those with a sense of humour about it all will survive. Jmho. :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
sky-fly
I think you missed the op question , tho truly the future of fs and so much else is gone to Asia. Everyday brings many skaters closer to "old age." That's life. But Jouby and KVDP I think have amazing days, sometimes in actual competition, too. So here's to the geezers. Like Plush. Skate on, and if all the over 24s quit it leaves us with fickly youth. No way to answer this, as people like
Plu and Dai surprise us. And maybe Abbott has the two skates of his life. Lets see how Nice treats the 'elders' of skating.

Only one skate left to see some of these 'terminal" cases. lol. Sometimes I wish older skater x would retire, but hey, if Fumie is having fun, well, let her. Maturity and elegance have helped dai and Caro. For all Pat's youth and superior skating skills he falls a lt and wins. This season, age doesn't seem to be the deciding factor with the comebacks of younger and older.

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
Aw.. SkaterBoy. That’s a very depressing thread/topic. Maybe .. a title like “Newton’s Law of Gravity and Figure Skaters” may sound less depressive, more scientific and intriguing.:biggrin:

I wouldn’t call it ‘decline’, I would rather use the term ‘stagnate’. Not that the skaters you have mentioned are getting worse, it is just that they cannot grow anymore due to a myriad of reasons one of which is most obvious, age. Figure skating is a demanding sport particularly the jumps making it a sport with a limited competitive lifespan much like other extreme sports. They all have to retire some day. Will they choose to retire at the top of the curve or at the other end is their choice. Those who choose to retire at the other end may end up looking like ‘decline’ to some of us.

I do agree with you, for the benefit of their fans and those who enjoy their skating, skaters who choose to retire can always join the ice shows. Then their fans still get to enjoy their skills without the demanding elements like jumps. It’s a win-win situation. This shouldn’t be as depressive, right? Smile. :)

I think some skaters consciously decide not to leave when on top. Because they might wonder later whether or not they would have been able to get even better. I.e. is a bronze medal at Worlds the best you could have gotten or would you have won a silver if you had remained competitive... When you are clearly on a decline you know it for sure.

One of the skaters who did it right was Jeffrey Buttle, because he has always been a headcase. I'm sure he wouldn't have been able to repeat his success at Worlds 2008. He knew that (was honest to himself) and quit.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
sky-fly
I think you missed the op question , tho truly the future of fs and so much else is gone to Asia. Everyday brings many skaters closer to "old age." That's life. But Jouby and KVDP I think have amazing days, sometimes in actual competition, too. So here's to the geezers. Like Plush. Skate on, and if all the over 24s quit it leaves us with fickly youth. No way to answer this, as people like
Plu and Dai surprise us. And maybe Abbott has the two skates of his life. Lets see how Nice treats the 'elders' of skating.

Only one skate left to see some of these 'terminal" cases. lol. Sometimes I wish older skater x would retire, but hey, if Fumie is having fun, well, let her. Maturity and elegance have helped dai and Caro. For all Pat's youth and superior skating skills he falls a lt and wins. This season, age doesn't seem to be the deciding factor with the comebacks of younger and older.

sorry for not throughly reading , lol
but I think its because reputation is important too, as you get older those who are still favored by the judges are the ones tat will be successful
I have no doubt Kim Yuna if she comes back will be as strong and of course Kostner who is rewarded by the judges..
those who can't keep up sad to say will be left behind ala Makarova who we may not see ever again in an international competition starting next season
or those who still compete past their prime has the chance of losing that once great reputation Joubert and Fumie Suguri, skaters have their peaks and if they have passed their prime and no more potential to extract, it is best to retire, though there are exceptions to this like Pluschenko and others.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Buttle may have had trouble repeating a world title and was to be passed by compatriot Chan but he still could have been competitive. JMHO A clean or one mistake Buttle is better than a clean quadless Evan. He still could medal at world's and olympics. The sentimental and illogical side was rather sad to see Maria Butyrskaya leave on such anegative note, Seeng Elvis barely able to skate due to the pummelling on his body over the years; Sarah Hughes leaving a memory of her OGM performance though I am glad she did what she wanted to do to try for a world title I guess, Michelle Kwan the greatest skater ever potentially just sort of fizzling out always on the pretense or hope of returning from injury and trying to learn COP, I think there was a great hope years ago I read about Tiffany Chin who just literally fell off the side of a cliff (a crashing spectacular decline) and retired (maybe due to the over involved mommy syndrome but still). there were some tragic declines - Shalabin one of them. It was sad that his injury was career ending and Olympic Gold ending. Reminds me of Krylova - skaters who are "forced" out of skating and decline because of injury is so sad.