Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here? | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Canadian Ladies: Where do they go from here?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Fine, Canada can have this POlina Edward lady, Makarova and heck Fumie Suguri too. Maybe RAchel Flatt too and Alyssa Czisny since the USA has Gold, Zhang, Wagner and Zawadiak. Russia has Leonova, Tut and then well Lip, sod or whoever so surely they can give up at least one Polina.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Rather than making do with second tier cast offs and skaters who have passed their "best before" dates, I'd rather we came up with a better development program for our own girls.

I think having a better development program is a far better idea as well. Though it's fun to dream of your adopting, say, Akiko Suzuki or one of the Russians. I know you can do it, Canada! Look at your guys and your ice dancers. I can't wait to root for the next big Canadian lady.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Fine, Canada can have this POlina Edward lady, Makarova and heck Fumie Suguri too. Maybe RAchel Flatt too and Alyssa Czisny since the USA has Gold, Zhang, Wagner and Zawadiak. Russia has Leonova, Tut and then well Lip, sod or whoever so surely they can give up at least one Polina.
EdMUNDS and ZawadZKI. I REALLY don't think the US would give Polina Edmunds up - she just turned 14 and has a very bright future (5th at Nationals in Juniors at the age of 13 is nothing to sneeze at and a top 4 finish in SP). She's already gotten the "growing taller" part of puberty started with improvement to her jumps from the additional height and strength.

hohoho

On the Ice
I think in the next few years that you will see a change in Canadian Ladies. Reason being that with no clear cut leader, the ladies can push to be the next one without having to worry about bogus PCS scores to "prop" a certain skater. And with the group of Juniors listed for France JGP and with Osmond listed for Skate Canada International, I think Skate Canada has seen it also that they have to develop instead of staying with the "chosen few". Hopefully this will lead up to a great Nationals in January. Also, hopefully the Juniors can build off what Osmond accomplished last year and whoever attends Senior Worlds has a shot at a top 10.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The continual propping up of Cynthia Phaneuf had to have had a hugely discouraging effect on young Canadian ladies; I too think the wide open field they have now might energize them! At least I hope so.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
You haven't seen how truly abyssmal the rest of the field is Doris. I don't think Phaneuf was propped up. Her basic skating, speed and non-jump elements are head and shoulders above the rest of the field. None of the girls she was competing against had more than two or three triples and their non-jump stuff wasn't the best either.

What I would like to see is finals for EVERY competition from Pre-Juvenile on up. They had them when my daughter was skating and that generation of skaters could do all five triples. Just because the other disciplines only have enough entrants for one flight does not mean the girls should be so shortchanged.

I'd like to see the return of NAC's which did a lot for our girls, but I understand the reasons why that's unlikely to return.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
I think in the next few years that you will see a change in Canadian Ladies. Reason being that with no clear cut leader, the ladies can push to be the next one without having to worry about bogus PCS scores to "prop" a certain skater. And with the group of Juniors listed for France JGP and with Osmond listed for Skate Canada International, I think Skate Canada has seen it also that they have to develop instead of staying with the "chosen few". Hopefully this will lead up to a great Nationals in January. Also, hopefully the Juniors can build off what Osmond accomplished last year and whoever attends Senior Worlds has a shot at a top 10.

I would not give SC too much credit there yet.

The chosen ones of last year, Charbonneau and Najarro have both aged out of international junior competition. With Osmond getting SC, Canada is forced to show all new faces on the JGP this year.

Most likely Charbonneau and Najarro will get senior B's ( along with Descantis and Samson most likely ) Those 4 skaters will be fighting for the TBA slot at Skate Canada.

The one hopefull thing is that Veronica Mallet ( 18 and 2nd junior at nationals ) and Roxanne Rheault ( 17 and 2011 junior champion ) weren't invited to the junior development camp even though both were substitutes ( though neither got a slot ) on the JGP last season. SC would be taking a huge step backwards if either of these ladies get a JGP as neither has a jump beyond salchow and toe loop. In fact the toe loop is Rheault's only consistent triple. I was mad last season when these 2 skaters were put higher on the totem pole than a skater like Daleman who is only 14 and showed a very consistent lutz all of last season.

Whether SC gets the message will show in later seasons to see if they hold on to perennial failures internationally too long. SC has had the bad habit of giving ladies JGP's and JW slots despite multiple international failures. Najarro, Kang and Grenier come to mind.

Right now SC is forced to start with a clean slate for the ladies on the JGP.

The early choices suggest concentrating on the younger ladies which is a good sign.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mallet and Rheault competed in Senior Ladies at Liberty last week. They finished 3rd and 4th in Group A of that event, scoring 117.66 and 116.29, respectively. However, A was the weaker group. If you rank all the scores in both A and B, Mallet and Rheault finished 8th and 9th.

Ashley Cain, who is scheduled to compete at JGP Courchevel, scored a total 139.04. Samantha Cesario (also destined for JGP) was the top scorer at 158.23.
I agree that Mallet and Rheault wouldn't make much of an impact at the JGP with the Liberty scores.

Juliane SEGUIN (3rd-JR) is assigned to Courchevel.

Substitutes are Alaine CHARTRAND (9th-SR), Gabrielle DALEMAN (1st-JR) and Madelyn DUNLEY (1st-NOV).

Kissx3

Final Flight
Nothing particularly encouraging at Detroit. Good luck in the LP I guess.

K McNeil (CAN) 42.18
K Osmond (CAN) 41.69
A DeSanctis (CAN) 41.18
K Charbonneau (CAN) 41.14
G Daleman (CAN) 39.54
A Chartrand (CAN) 37.85
Z Brown (CAN) 36.96
C McDonnell (CAN) 34.02

hohoho

On the Ice
One encouraging sign coming out of Detroit is Osmond. She came back from 5th in the short to 2nd in her group scoring 91 pts in the freeskate. She then followed it up with breaking 100 pts in the event final to claim 3rd.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
With scores like this, I think she would have been better served to stay in Junior this year. Finishing in the bottom of the field on the GP circuit does not build winning confidence.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The FS is not a problem for Osmond. She's come close to 100 before. Her achilles heel is the SP. Low 40s in the SP when competitors are scoring 50s and 60s won't cut it internationally. She's got to work on delivering a clean SP.

At least Osmond is consistent, which is more than can be said for most of the other Canadian ladies.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Her basic skating needs work. She can jump, she's consistent and she's a performer, but her edges are not deep or strong, and there's no power in her stroking. Just being able to jump and put on a show will not do it for you (see Ryan Bradley).

hohoho

On the Ice
I am thinking that the Sp in Detroit for Osmond had issues. Seemed like she got better as the week went on in the Free (91, 100). This was her first time out this season. She is at Wild Rose next weekend. As for under the 50 mark, she did score more than 50 at Canadians and JW. I haven't seen any videos of the Detroit competition. Did anyone see her there to be able to comment on her skating skills?

geoskate

On the Ice
See the Skate Detroit thread.

I think she has improved considerably from last season, and that her skating skills are just fine.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Not too bad of a result overall for the first time out. Osmond's relative consistency + jump content probably does make her the best young skater Canada has had come through in awhile. I also hope she's realistic about where she's at and her GP results don't hurt her confidence, though. She could very well win Canadians this year.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
I do think that Osmond is the favourite to win Canadians this year.

Phaneuf has her injury issues and Lacoste seems completely unable to land a toe jump at the moment. Lacoste often pops her lutz and flip into singles and does not attempt the toe loop at all. If Osmond is at her best she'll beat the Najarro/Descantis/Charbonneau easily as well.

Unlike Dragonlady, I think that Osmond should be on the senior circuit because it is very likely she'll be our representative at worlds. As well SC must ramp up the international assignments for the younger skaters (JGPs and perhaps other lesser junior and novice events as well ). Last year was a completely lost year for development ( sending Najarro on the JGP last year given her multiple failures internationally was a joke ). A skater like Daleman would have used the opportunity better.

SC must focus more on the ones Osmond's age and younger as those that are older are not going anywhere.

hohoho

On the Ice
I agree with Nadster that Osmond should be on the SGP. She also should get a senior B. Right now she is the only Canadian lady with the minimum TES score for Worlds. To put her on the JGP and then expect her to do senior worlds would not be beneficial.

From looking at the first 2 JGP assignments (Sequin, Chartrand) and Osmond to SGP, it looks like SC are looking more at development and looking past this Olympic cycle with hopes to have a competitive group prior to 2018.

I agree with Nadster that SC has to try to use Junior and Novice developmental competitions and utilise US comps as well.