Mid-Grand Prix thoughts | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mid-Grand Prix thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Totally agree. Pairs (and Women) are just non-events to me. Adding T/M to the list, what can I say...
I pop in a GP event here and there, but I'm no longer looking forward to it. Luckily, we've got the Russian competitions.

I also was hoping for years a GP or other major event would come to the UK...and it happens in the year without Team Russia! Kudos to all those that can thoroughly enjoy it, even though results need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Before anyone gets their blood pressure up: No, I don't take the scores at Russian comps too serious either, but, especially in pairs, I thought last season 'now I'm looking at the world champions, then I'll switch over to 1tv to watch the best in the world'. Nothing has changed. May this nightmare be over by next season.
Oh, I don’t about the scores this season either side of the divide. It’s all the orgy of stupid.
Totally agree. Pairs (and Women) are just non-events to me. Adding T/M to the list, what can I say...
I pop in a GP event here and there, but I'm no longer looking forward to it. Luckily, we've got the Russian competitions.

I also was hoping for years a GP or other major event would come to the UK...and it happens in the year without Team Russia! Kudos to all those that can thoroughly enjoy it, even though results need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Before anyone gets their blood pressure up: No, I don't take the scores at Russian comps too serious either, but, especially in pairs, I thought last season 'now I'm looking at the world champions, then I'll switch over to 1tv to watch the best in the world'. Nothing has changed. May this nightmare be over by next season.
Oh, gosh, yup. They are just so good, I wish they reverse number of pairs and ice dance couples for RCF and RusNats! That would have been glorious. 😻

The season Russians are back will be the best. I am planning to save up and do 2 or even 3 accessible stages. Lol. Binging! 😊😊😊

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I changed awful to terrifying as it's more correct. I'm not talking politics here, just observation of the common stance and contentment due to the lack of Rus sportsmen. And this smile as a symbol of something positive looked completely perversed to me here, sorry. It's not just directly to you, my remark, but more like a general statement, seeing many comments like yours.
The power of the gloating smiley 😊 Just Use It!

mrrice

Record Breaker
As a fan from the US, I am THRILLED with how things have gone up to this point. Ilia and Isabeau are truly living up to the expectations I had for them and Starr is having a breakout season. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
As a fan from the US, I am THRILLED with how things have gone up to this point. Ilia and Isabeau are truly living up the expectations I had for them and Starr is having a breakout season. I couldn't be happier.
We all love Malinin and Levito. Andrews’ scores though is what truly reminds us of Russians we miss! That medal sure outshines the stunning breakout achievements of the certain Russian Ice Dance duo last season. Astoundingly rewarded performance! So glad Americans keep the Russian traditions alive. 😊

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here's the thing about the Russian Ladies being out of competition this season. Starr can only compete against the people who are actually in the event. Although I love Elena Sokolova, to say that her Silver Medal at Worlds in 2003 was a gift given to her by the absence of Defending World Champion, Irina Slutskaya would be an understatemen.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They mean JGP this year, where there are no US teams in the JGPF which was a surprise.
There might have been, if NESET / MARKELOV had been able to do their first event in Poland (they were third in Italy). He couldn't get a visa since he has a Russian passport. They hadn't been able to do the earlier JGPs because of injury.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
There might have been, if NESET / MARKELOV had been able to do their first event in Poland (they were third in Italy). He couldn't get a visa since he has a Russian passport. They hadn't been able to do the earlier JGPs because of injury.
Maybe, maybe not. We’ll just never know just like we’ll never know how other Russians might have performed this year. Instead, we are treated to inflated scores, backroom deals and all-hands on deck, no really, I said, all-hands! Except, this is not a musical for a backbencher to truly produce something exceptional.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
We all love Malinin and Levito. Andrews’ scores though is what truly reminds us of Russians we miss! That medal sure outshines the stunning breakout achievements of the certain Russian Ice Dance duo last season. Astoundingly rewarded performance! So glad Americans keep the Russian traditions alive. 😊
I am really sad about skating now. Especially pairs and ladies. People talk or some say it is better now without Russia but to me it isn't because you have seen some great skating and now you literally are getting third and fourth tier teams at the top of the world not just Grand P rix podium. Brendan and Alexa maybe knew they could get away with crap skating until the Grand Prix final where they will need to do better only second! Second with a poor skate. I am sorry I want to get behind Deanna and Maxime but they have no special tricks other than an ugly death spiral. None of the top pairs teams have shown any super magic artistry, ultra c skills or amazing speed, or amplitude on elements. And the ladies are good just not great. Nothing against Starr but her winning a medal at a Grand Prix while nice really with that skate and score says a lot. I give full credit that everyone is doing their best to take advantage of the lack of Russians and depth in all events except men - even then Russia still added drama and some good skating and that is their weakness (Canada should be so lucky) Kaori and Loena are fine skaters but they are not of the level of the Russians.

LadyB

Record Breaker
The season Russians are back will be the best. I am planning to save up and do 2 or even 3 accessible stages. Lol. Binging! 😊😊😊
That'll be like a dream! I'm hoping this coincides with relaxed travel restrictions, cause I'll be on the plane to Russia (and anywhere in Europe where my favs perform) in no time. Or on the train to Sheffield :biggrin: 🤞

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That'll be like a dream! I'm hoping this coincides with relaxed travel restrictions, cause I'll be on the plane to Russia (and anywhere in Europe where my favs perform) in no time. Or on the train to Sheffield :biggrin: 🤞
I hope so too. I will definitely do Skate Am and Canada back to back, and might try one Eu stage. I just hope that we’ll know far in advance to save up vacation time. Tbh, Moscow or Chinese stage moving to Finland or England permanently would be convenient in terms of travel. I could never understand why China holds onto GP. They are not big on FS.

RobinA

On the Ice
Generally not a very interesting season to me. The best thing about it is the lack of Russians in Ladies. Part of the problem is it's so hard to watch and so far I haven't seen a short program and a long program by the same skater in the same event. Pairs, what little I've seen, is a train wreck, although that's been since CoP. I've seen so little ice dance I can't even comment. I'm not a Chock & Bates fan, but I do like the recent fire and air program.

Ladies - probably my most enjoyable this year. I like the Japanese ladies. Isabeau I will probably like in a couple years. Again, haven't seen a lot, the timing on Peacock just doesn't work for me. Men? Ehh. I like Shoma. It's a new cycle, so hopefully things will develop. Pairs might just be a splatfest write-off until some rules get changed. Not enough (very few) can do side by side triples, so that's always a disaster. Add the hideous and often shaky lifts, and I don't really make an effort to watch that anymore. I was there in person when Totmianina/Marinin crashed, I don't need to see something like that again.

All that snark said, I am looking forward to the Final, nationals and Worlds where hopefully the coverage will be better and I can get a better sense of who is who. What I'd really like to see is the Japanese Nationals.

rain

Record Breaker
Well I've been loving this season and I don't miss the Russians in the slightest. I haven't been keeping up with their alternate competition circuit at all.

I love all the new faces we've seen and some of the young up-and-comers who've been able to start to make their mark. I like that results seem less pre-ordained, in all four disciplines, than they have in a long time. It's been exciting.

That said, I have a few complaints. Some of the rules are causing some really ugly moves to be repeated over and over ad nauseam.

1. I hate that almost every single one of the dance teams has at least one lift where the man slings the woman around his neck as a way to get into some kind of other position (many of which are consequently rather ungainly looking). It must add a level or something, or not all of them would be doing it – it's certainly not for aesthetic reasons. It's clunky, ugly and repetitive. I hope the rule changes for next season. It's hideous.

2. I would love to see the pattern back in the rhythm dance. It was a chance to compare apples to apples, and I don't think that getting rid of it has made the dances any better. All it's done is taken away something that was a technical challenge in the fundamentals of the discipline.

3. In the same vein as number one, I would love to never, ever, ever, ever have to see the pairs lift again where the woman does the splits and lies forward along her leg, grasping her blade, so she's parallel to the ice. It's hideous and completely unaesthetic. Once upon a time there was at least some novelty to the position, but no longer. Now it's just ugly and common. For that matter, the woman grasping her blade in a lift needs to not be a way to get a level. It leads to ugly, contortionist positions. The whole point of lifts was to create the impression of flight, but the rules as they stand have destroyed the beauty and magnificence of these once-soaring elements.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I haven't watched a minute and surely didn't go read the mean comments that i'm sure are in the threads, God bless me.
I only watched JGP and i plan to watch only JGPF.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think all of us should remember that this is a building year for figure skating. Not only is it post-Olympics but quite a few of our most accomplished skaters have either retired or are still deciding whether they want to continue or not. And I truly don't think the competitions are any less challenging or winning medals any less commendable because the Russians aren't there. That demeans all of the skaters who have medaled so far. They've worked just as hard and in many cases just as long, if not longer, than the Russian skaters. Do I miss seeing some of the skaters? Yes, of course, but it's important in any sport to level the "playing field" I've mentioned up-thread that clean programs aren't very prevalent so far but have to remember that many of the competitors are just up from the Junior ranks or have not competed on the international level. I'm hoping the US skaters will peak at Nationals.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I haven't watched a minute and surely didn't go read the mean comments that i'm sure are in the threads, God bless me.
I only watched JGP and i plan to watch only JGPF.
Actually, the competition threads for GPs and Challengers have been quite nice. Now, after the competition ends, there can be a bit of bickering, and of course we have the occasional wuzrobbed, but for the most part it is just a lot of cactus and dinosaur GIFs.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Just want to clarify for those who aren't familiar: the Russian Cup series has always existed, it's not a copy of the ISU GP (even if Channel One is trying to market it that way). It functions like Sectionals in Canada or the US - domestic competitions for skaters to qualify to nationals. In usual times the field is a bit weaker, as the strongest skaters earn a berth to Nationals through being sent to international events. This year is basically like 2020, when nobody could go anywhere due to the pandemic. Back then, there was also an expanded Russian Cup with the national team members participating. The ISU also held domestic GP events which were also GP in name only since lower-level domestic skaters participated who ordinarily wouldn't have spots.

I wouldn't call the Russian Cup a 'Grand Prix' (mischaracterisation of its nature) or even a 'fake GP' (judgmental towards participants/viewers), because to me it's basically Sectionals with a deeper field than usual. Depending on discipline this field can be shallower than the current ISU GP (especially ice dance) or deeper (pairs). The same thing can be said for e.g. Japanese National qualifying events where there is a lot of buried talent at the domestic level in singles, but pairs and dance are almost uncontested.

Actually, the competition threads for GPs and Challengers have been quite nice. Now, after the competition ends, there can be a bit of bickering, and of course we have the occasional wuzrobbed, but for the most part it is just a lot of cactus and dinosaur GIFs.
This is quite true. No matter where the competition is being held, you can count on the reliable companionship of cacti, Rinky and a certain Zamboni-driving Korean girl disguised as a dinosaur. 😄

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
and me talking s*it, so nothing has changed :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.