Mid-90 Temps... blech | Golden Skate

Mid-90 Temps... blech

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm headed down to California for my cousins wedding (not Disney... yet) next week and it's forcasted to be 98 degrees the day I get into the area and then it "drops" to 95* the next day and most of the week. Are you freaking kidding me?! BAH!

DianaSelene

Medalist
That's nothing compared to 106 degree temps where I live. It feels like 115. You can't go outside at all.

heyang

Record Breaker
Being from Alaska, anything over 70* is awful for me lol

I'm in NJ and my preference is day time temps below 80 and night time temps in the 50's. Ain't getting that.

Tomorrow, my brother and SIL have a surprise party to go to - so, I promised the nephew and nieces that I'd take them out for Howell Day - free rides, etc. I wasn't counting on the temperature prediction to be 102+ humid. Ugh! Will be spending money on beverages - hopefully 2 hrs will be enough and they 'll want to take a dunk in the 90degree pool or just shower and stay inside with the a/c. Maybe watching E.T. wil convince them to stay in....

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It is so dreadful in the lower 48. Our 4 seasons are gone. I wish I could live in Alaska for half the year. Even Canada is muggy a lot. Is this the future? Blackouts because we cannot AC everyplace all the time? And then we might get a horrible winter that keeps everyone in. God help us, again and again. I truly wonder what sort of life small children have, and honestly, were i young, I would not have any, as I am so fearful. Look at the present? Such suffering seems unavoidable. I get very ill in humidity. And there are many folks like me. Virginia is really suffering with millions still w/out power. Every day a new disaster somewhere. It is insane. I wish I could live in FLA since people have to stay inside all the time due to heat/humidity/air quality. At least there is no snow, and the sun shines over the blue ocean...

Toni, I hope the wedding hotel has a pool you can jump into! )if there is such a venue for the nuptials).

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
children don't realize all that goes on - in most cases... there's still innocense...

and no I don't find 90 degree temps the wrath of god by a long shot.

My cousin is getting married at home in her parents yard... outdoor wedding...

There are so many misconceptions of Alaska - we do not have four traditional seasons (never have)... we have about one month (not all at one time) of summerish weather... the rest feels/looks like fall... or it's 6-8 months of winter weather... The grass is always greener on the other side. We have our extremes the same as everywhere else.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
It's unbearable here with the humidity. Last summer was our hottest on record (last record was in '78) and it was awful. We were in an awful drought and it was around 108 every day. I just stopped going outside. My mom, an old exchange student who was visiting, and my nephew went to the pool last summer and said it was like getting in warm bath water.

The thing that bugs me about the AC is there are some businesses (and obviously some homeowners) who abuse it. Yes i want to be cool and comfortable in the summer, but if i cant wear shorts to your establishment or if i have to bring a sweater in the middle of summer, somethings wrong. My school is unbearable in the summer because its freezing. Last summer i wore sweatpants and a hoodie to class, and i was still freezing!. And yet on the news theyre badgering us to cut back on the AC. We used to host exchange students often and they usually came in August. every single one of them has caught a cold from having to adjust to the air conditioning. I know some countries dont use AC like we do here in America, but you know theyve been exposed to it, it's just that businesses feel the need to blast it. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's nothing compared to 106 degree temps where I live. It feels like 115. You can't go outside at all.

Are you in Arizona?

Toni, have a great time @ your cousin's wedding.

Everyone, stay cool wherever you are, and however you can!

I'm headed down to California for my cousins wedding (not Disney... yet) next week and it's forcasted to be 98 degrees the day I get into the area and then it "drops" to 95* the next day and most of the week. Are you freaking kidding me?! BAH!

I know how hard it is to deal with temperatures you're not normally used to. Please pace yourself and make sure you drink enough fluids. I hope the wedding is wonderful.

For the rest of us across the U.S., stay safe and hydrated.

I know what you mean about air conditioning ryanbfan. My office is so cold (because another part of the office is hard to cool, so they have to turn up the a/c in my section to reach that area) that I keep a wool scarf, a small blanket, and leg warmers in my workspace. And air conditioned air is somehow rawer and damper than natural air, I've found. I have one small air conditioner in my apartment, and I never use it at night, because it would make me sick if I slept in electric air. Fortunately, I tolerate the heat fairly well, though I don't love it. For a really bad day, I'll cool the air before bedtime and then turn the unit off. But air conditioning can be lifesaving when used correctly. I really feel for the people in the DC area who have been without electrical power during this awful week. I heard that one city used city buses as cooling centers, which is a smart solution.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
I know what you mean about air conditioning ryanbfan. My office is so cold (because another part of the office is hard to cool, so they have to turn up the a/c in my section to reach that area) that I keep a wool scarf, a small blanket, and leg warmers in my workspace. And air conditioned air is somehow rawer and damper than natural air, I've found. I have one small air conditioner in my apartment, and I never use it at night, because it would make me sick if I slept in electric air. Fortunately, I tolerate the heat fairly well, though I don't love it. For a really bad day, I'll cool the air before bedtime and then turn the unit off. But air conditioning can be lifesaving when used correctly. I really feel for the people in the DC area who have been without electrical power during this awful week. I heard that one city used city buses as cooling centers, which is a smart solution.

Yeah we had rolling blackouts last summer and some people died from it. There were also a lot of people who refused to use their AC (whether it be the cost or they're old fashioned) that passed away also. I can't imagine having to sit in my house basically in a pool of my own sweat. Ugh

ryanbfan

On the Ice
As someone who's prone to heat related illness, I saw some advice on twitter that I think everyone should follow! Always drink water BEFORE you are thirsty if you're outside. Keep yourself hydrated even if you are not thirsty! One summer I went to an outdoor concert and drank absolutely nothing (I swore up and down I was not thirsty)... I ended up going home with a migraine and I vomited for the rest of the night. Don't learn the hard way!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yup. you have to force yourself... and make it water before anything else... soda and booze will actually "dehydrate" you faster.

Apparently tea, because it can be a diuretic, is also not a good idea. Good old water is the best.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
children don't realize all that goes on - in most cases... there's still innocense...

and no I don't find 90 degree temps the wrath of god by a long shot.

My cousin is getting married at home in her parents yard... outdoor wedding...

There are so many misconceptions of Alaska - we do not have four traditional seasons (never have)... we have about one month (not all at one time) of summerish weather... the rest feels/looks like fall... or it's 6-8 months of winter weather... The grass is always greener on the other side. We have our extremes the same as everywhere else.

No I did not mean to imply the weather is the wrath of God. I clearly know green houe gases/fossil fuels are our doing, which I stated and climate change got moved to political thread, thus proving the old saying, all life is politics or political. I beg God to save us from self inflicted misery, but do not see this as his wrath by a long shot either. If he unleashes his wrath, I think it will be clear to all concerne. Although, two cities in Japan could not have felt more cursed in 1945, and most of Europe was in hell in WW2.

People are suffering very much in every corner with the climate and many have died, though there is no tally for all the disasters per year. The young in New Englanf think highn humdity and a fiercely burning sun causing rockting rates of melanoma the norm, as it is now. I am middle aged, and we had four distinct seasons in New England. Two years ago we had 6 months of snow, worst winter on record. last winter we had almost no snow. We had a big storm in October. We all know mother Earth is direly sick, and her inhabitants of all species trying to survive. Marginal folk and many species are disappearing. I could deal with the cold in Alaska (I think) easier than the heat. But increasingly people have to stay indoors year round if they are not quite healthy and sturdy. Alaska has such natural beauty, and I think there are misconceptions. If I had money and help, I'd be in the south during the winters and would head to Northern climes in the summer. Northern or western Canada, or Alaska! I had always planned to visit as you know, it is largely a wild and unspoiled area. The grass is indeed greener, so the saying goes, but my area has become ugly due to the death of US Mfg. And ^ months of snow and difficulty for disabled people becomes hot humid summer in May! People loved living in NE because of our 4 distinct seasons. I mourn the spring and the fall. Last year we had an October storm that came when all the leaves were still on the trees! Then nothing. Which I liked because snow and ice are scary for disabled people. A fall might mean paralysis for spinally afflicted folks. I wish I could pinpoint the year when it began to be obvious we were in a trend for the worse. I know last summer many in Moscow were suffering and dying as most do not have AC as they never needed it. Yes, as a child and young adult we had dog days of summer. The healthy can ride out these weather extremes, but the elders and the ill cannot. So I do plead with God, as I do believe he can "heal" the hole in the ozone layer if he chooses. But if he were always fixing human made disasters, we would have no respect for "reality" and cause and effect.

I find it interesting as a Catholic that a famous German stigmatist (Therese Neumann0 predicted the US would go under from the costs etc of natural disasters. We have them constantly...who pays? I was grateful for the no snow despite the ensuing drought as many cities are broke (aren't we all?) and we saved a bundle on snow removal. Anyway, one of my dream trips long ago was to visit the Alaska town where the polar bears come through. I can't recall the town, but tours go there to see this and a friend got to go. Doesn'r everyone dream of cruises to Hawaii and Alaska? If anyone from Norway wants to adopt me, let me know. I don't speak Norwegian but that was rated the best country to live in these days for many reasons. My city is small and once a gem: no longer. And rural rolling hills around it. Funny, I dreaamed of being a New Yorker when I was a young "culture vullture" but too much concrete. I envy those who live in small towns, where neighbors help each other. I'd love to live on a farm with a huge family. Sometimes as they say man plans and god laughes. 'El hombre propone y Dios dispone.' That is life for many.

As for Tonchelle's cousin's wedding, there is always the hose and sprinklers. Think sunscreen and a big hat for 100 degree weather. All the brides wear strapless now, as we have become such a tropical nation. I pray every day for his intercession for our world and nation and to deliver us from harm. Often I feel it doesn't matter but what else can we do? We face such perilous times. Young people often feel they are in control, and many do not pray when thinhs "seem" like all is well. Age and experience teach us the world changes on a dime. For me, Mother Mary and her visits to earth, which I listed in a long thread, are what gave me hope when I searched the world (figuratively and a bit literally).

I will say that hope comes from love, and while I never had an angel visit, my freind years ago gave me a direct answer. Since I have spoken of serious topics, and many serious topics get addressed her in the Off Edge forums, I asked God years ago where would I find hope, as I was suffering terribly and hopeless. My best friend was awakened at 4 am and my angel (she used my secret name for my guardian that only I knew0 answered my question. 'If there is love, then there is hope.' I never have had a angel visit me, though many claim such wonderful experiences, and this Angel came to my friend, who also needed hope. (Her marriage was on the rocks, and she did divorce-but a happy ending -for her).

So, it is late, and most skate fans are young on this forum, and off season we don't have many talkers, but when I mulled it over, it made all the sense in the world. I share it only in case someone secretly has a hopeless situation, and wonders where to find hope, as I asked scrunched in the church. I got an immediate answer.

It is hard to love, esp those different from us, who disagree with us, when we become opinionated, to use an example of what happens in the internet forums. All life is an opportunity to try to love those we don't find loveable, yes? We are tested in all ways. What do you think of angels, SF? Peace to you, in the cooler northern climes!;)

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
The thing that bugs me about the AC is there are some businesses (and obviously some homeowners) who abuse it. Yes i want to be cool and comfortable in the summer, but if i cant wear shorts to your establishment or if i have to bring a sweater in the middle of summer, somethings wrong. My school is unbearable in the summer because its freezing. Last summer i wore sweatpants and a hoodie to class, and i was still freezing!. And yet on the news theyre badgering us to cut back on the AC. We used to host exchange students often and they usually came in August. every single one of them has caught a cold from having to adjust to the air conditioning. I know some countries dont use AC like we do here in America, but you know theyve been exposed to it, it's just that businesses feel the need to blast it. What's wrong with this picture?

Can't speak for all businesses, but some places crank it up because they are anticipating a larger crowd and all that body heat can raise the temperature quickly. I once volunteered to hand out bottled water at the end of the NYC marathon - it felt like a wave of heat when the crowds of runners passed through. My brother once had to put his a/c to 65 because they were having a party inside and there were so many people that the house felt 'hot' even though the a/c was originally set to 75. Same is true of the movie theater - if it's full house, it won't feel cold, but it's much harder for them to lower and then raise the temperature.

WHere I work, the cooling/heating is uneven and partially dependent upon time of day, as well. The inside conference rooms are always cool, but the cubicles near the windows are warm.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I had the AC on in my car today full blast and it was only 60*... I am going to die in California! LOL

My brother has been hysterical in communicating their travels so far. He texted me this morning saying they made it to "Secattle" (I could believe it a typo but he kept typing it that way. He's 17! UGH! lol) and then when he called to say they made it to Sacramento he called and was whining "It's sooooooooooooooooooo hot and we're just in the airport!" Duane's been "outside" Alaska only three times in his life lol

That's because he doesn't go to Disney enough, right?

One thing you might want to take with you is witch hazel and cotton puffs. Dab yourself with witch hazel periodically, especially on the inside of your elbows and wrists and on your forehead and neck. Rubbing alcohol also works, but it's drying and a bit too aromatic. Witch hazel is just pleasantly astringent and neutral, and it can be very refreshing. If you get very uncomfortable, use an ice pack or a closed cup of ice cubes. Really! It's helped me when I've had to get somewhere on foot on days as hot as 100 degrees.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah we do the washcloth/ice cubes approach...

Duane's been to Disney twice, once on a family trip in June (where we spent the heat of the day in the hotel or pool) to Walt Disney World and once on a band trip - it was cold and the band director doesn't know the parks at all and swears up and down she's an expert.. drives me nuts. She was the person that gave dad and me our first taste of WDW and we left with a very sour taste in our mouths... :biggrin: Thankfully my aunt fixed that, but yeah... it was funny listening to my parents and Duane say just how wrong the band director did the planning and how much she was just plain WRONG on the info. :no: