Adam Rippon to be coached by Rafael Arutyunyan in Lake Arrowhead, Calif. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Adam Rippon to be coached by Rafael Arutyunyan in Lake Arrowhead, Calif.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Article with quotes from Rippon: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120912&content_id=38300996&vkey=ice_news
Excerpts:
Over the years, Rippon has trained with several different coaches and realized that he had the most success under a more aggressive, hands-on coaching style and felt that Arutunian could offer this.
Rippon also said that Arutunian thought it was essential to enlist the advice of Olympic and world coach, Frank Carroll, because they had collaborated successfully in the past and his evaluation and input could be very helpful.

"I spoke with Mr. Carroll, and he was very supportive about my move to Arrowhead and said that he would meet with Rafael and me to offer advice and assist with my progress," Rippon said.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope this works for him, but sometimes as Shakespeare says,
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Sometimes you wonder whether it's the skater, not the coach.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I hope this works for him, but sometimes as Shakespeare says,
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Sometimes you wonder whether it's the skater, not the coach.

Didn't Rafael help Mirai with some jump issues recently?

Don't know if there was any noticable improvement - but as Doris implies a different coach is not necessarily a cure-all.

Hope this move works out for Adam.

Victura

On the Ice
Hate to say that Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil has sent a series of judgmental tweets about Rippon's decision:

Is Adam Rippon going after Niciole Bobek's record for coaching changes? By my count it's now 4 changes, 5 coaches since 2009.
1:07 PM - 11 Sep 12

Bad math, still a lot of coaching changes for Rippon: 4 coaches, 3 changes since 09: Morozov-Orser-Dungjen/Ina-Arutunian.
1:10 PM - 11 Sep 12

If Hersh is going to be judgmental, the least he can do is get his facts straight. Since when did Jason coach with Kyoko Ina? Hmph.

Anyway, all the best to Adam. I kind of like his short hair, actually. It gives him a more mature look, which should help with his overall presentation.​

samson

Medalist
Interesting. I'm really I wonder if something was said to him at champs camp that made him rethink is training. It sounded like his jumps were sort of in process a few weeks ago. He was going to the gym to build more power in his legs, which is a great thing, but it also stated like he was getting used to that new power.

He does have a tendency to coach hop. I'm not really convinced that's a great thing for any person. I think coach hoping is usually a symptom to some other underlying problems.

But hey, from personal experience, I know how vital it is sometimes to allow yourself the opportunity to travel. See "the world" to figure out what you really want in your life. There's no denying the quality of the Jason/Yuka team. But the press release says he's had a chance to realize what sort of training works well for him. Every athlete is different, and by the time you're in your twenties it's going to be hard to be willing to mold yourself to another coaches style, and I don't expect a coach to change the way they work just to please their student.

So maybe Rafael will work for him. All this shuffling around! It's hard to keep up and soooooooooo easy to speculate! I really need this season to just BEGIN already!

mskater93

Record Breaker
From working with several coaches, I can tell you that it takes a good 1-1 1/2 years to really understand and work with your coach's ideas/philosophies and training styles. If you aren't giving the coaching relationship that much investment, you won't even start to reap the benefits before you start over...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am not sure but I don't think that Rafael is coaching any senior men right know. Correct me if I am wrong.

If that is the case Adam would definitely get a lot of one on one time with Rafael which I think he needs and maybe
he was lacking that with his other coaches.

Wishing him the best with this coaching change, I hope it works out for him.

brightphoton

Medalist
From working with several coaches, I can tell you that it takes a good 1-1 1/2 years to really understand and work with your coach's ideas/philosophies and training styles. If you aren't giving the coaching relationship that much investment, you won't even start to reap the benefits before you start over...

But why should Adam stay in a bad situation? Look at what Yuka and Jason have done with Alissa and Jeremy. Arutyunyan has a far better and longer track record.

I have a soft spot for Adam. I wish he could skate as well as he did with that Seagull (?) program at TEB. Seems so long ago, he had so much promise with his Rippon lutz. Maybe his new coach will help him fix his skating issues.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But why should Adam stay in a bad situation? Look at what Yuka and Jason have done with Alissa and Jeremy. Arutyunyan has a far better and longer track record.

I have a soft spot for Adam. I wish he could skate as well as he did with that Seagull (?) program at TEB. Seems so long ago, he had so much promise with his Rippon lutz. Maybe his new coach will help him fix his skating issues.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull was a stunning program and skate indeed. The Rippon lutz at that point in the program was just marvelous.

Buttercup

Record Breaker

I saw that live at that year's TEB and was really impressed with how he skated it. I wish Rippon could find something that would work for him as well, but all these coaching changes concern me, it seems like he's looking for quick fixes and I'm not sure at this point he's going to find them.

mskater93

Record Breaker
That was the point I was trying to make - if you aren't invested in the relationship and giving it full commitment, it won't work! Typically 1 to 1 1/2 years to get comfortable with the training regimen and teaching style before you start to really reap the benefits. If you don't invest full on in it, you will never reap the benefits.

As to Adam, he KNEW Dunjen and Sato had two other high level US skaters when he moved there, so why would the attention now be a problem when he knew he wouldn't get undivided attention like an only child when he went to that team?
There have been rumblings about his less than enthusiastic aproach to off ice training...I believe Orser and Morosov had both mentioned it previously.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

As to Adam, he KNEW Dunjen and Sato had two other high level US skaters when he moved there, so why would the attention now be a problem when he knew he wouldn't get undivided attention like an only child when he went to that team?

Excerpt from the article at the link above explains that Rippon would have preferred to train with Arutunian (IN's spelling) as of last year. Seems that Dungjen and Sato had not been Rippon's first choice for the past year.

Over the years, Rippon has trained with several different coaches and realized that he had the most success under a more aggressive, hands-on coaching style and felt that Arutunian could offer this. Actually, he said he tried to work with him last year but the timing was not right. This summer, plans were made for Rippon to work with Arutunian for two weeks following Champs Camp in Colorado Springs.

"I always admired Rafael and the students he worked with," Rippon said. "I am grateful that the timing is better for both of us this year."

Off-topic:
To see Rippon as a kindergartener, check out photo #10 at the link below.
http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gallery.jsp?content_id=38309984

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I have always enjoyed watching Adam skate. And I have to honestly say it surprised me when he went with Jason and Yuka. I think it's difficult if almost impossible for a coaching team to have two very prominent senior skaters and give both the attention they need. Last year after Nats I said I hoped Adam lost the curls, got rid of the blousy sleeved-costumes and skated to something a little more edgy that would separate him from the crowd. I think Jeremy did that this year with his short program! Good luck to Adam. Who knows why a skater leaves one coach and goes to another other than the skater himself.