Alysa Liu Changes Coaches to Lee Barkell | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu Changes Coaches to Lee Barkell

Fried

Final Flight
I am pleased that no one has yet called her "traitor", that no one is attacking her father and that none branded her thanksgiving to her previous coach as cynical. I wish Alysia that her decision will pay off.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I am pleased that no one has yet called her "traitor", that no one is attacking her father and that none branded her thanksgiving to her previous coach as cynical. I wish Alysia that her decision will pay off.

She’s not a Russian lady, it’s not gonna happen

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
They have probably figured it all out. I did high school at a nearby town, and I had to take a school bus at 5 am every day, traveling for two hours just to get to my school. I mean, traveling by plane from US to Canada is not that bad. They are probably going to use a week system, like 3 weeks in US and 1 week in Canada. And many girls live by themselves to study, too. I started living alone at a bigger city to have a better high school at 15, and my cousins at 13. Those are the sacrifices some people have to do to reach their goals. I’m not saying it’s easy, but it’s possible with organization and family support.

macy

Record Breaker
i'm sure they have everything planned and figured out before committing to such a big move.

i don't understand the concerns of "panic" either...this is a critical time in Alysa's career. she probably felt Laura had taken her as far as she could and i'm honestly not surprised at all she moved. i think it was only a matter of time before she realized this.

it's go big or go home at this point. Beijing is a year and a half away. its crunch time.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
This is long overdue, in my opinion. All of Lipetsky's students seem to have somewhat dodgy jump technique. I'm not sure how much further she could progress in that situation. I'm not sure why Lee Barkell has suddenly become the flavor of the month for so many skaters looking for a change, but hopefully he can help her.

have an ice day

Spectator
I'm not sure why Lee Barkell has suddenly become the flavor of the month for so many skaters looking for a change, but hopefully he can help her.

I most definitely have the same question, but nonetheless, Alysa is a incredible young lady with extraordinary abilities and I wish her the best of luck with Lee Barkell and his team for seasons to come!

zounger

Medalist
It would have been nice if she went all the way to Olympics with her previous coach but realism is what prevails in life...

theharleyquinn

Medalist
This is long overdue, in my opinion. All of Lipetsky's students seem to have somewhat dodgy jump technique. I'm not sure how much further she could progress in that situation. I'm not sure why Lee Barkell has suddenly become the flavor of the month for so many skaters looking for a change, but hopefully he can help her.

From my impression of the North American coaching landscape, I wouldn't have expected Alysa to go to a coach that wasn't considered top-tier. Coaches like Brian and Raf have fuller rosters of top skaters. Lee has a growing camp. Even still, he certainly has attracted a lot of skaters with well-known underrotation issues, and I wonder how that will play out.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
From my impression of the North American coaching landscape, I wouldn't have expected Alysa to go to a coach that wasn't considered top-tier. Coaches like Brian and Raf have fuller rosters of top skaters. Lee has a growing camp. Even still, he certainly has attracted a lot of skaters with well-known underrotation issues, and I wonder how that will play out.

Well, if anybody could fix underrotation it would be him. He has a history of teaching non ideal techniques (with edges PR) but all of his skaters have improved rotation (in Toronto Cricket Club). He was one if the main TCC jump coaches before going to Granite.

But I dont think it will change much with Alysa, as she isnt in Toronto.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I wish her all the best.

Alysa's skating is pretty well-rounded as of now...except for the skating skills. That is the one main issue with her skating. She needs more speed, more power to leave a bigger impression on the ice. That should help her other issue of her jumps lacking distance and flow. If she can carry more speed into her jumps hopefully she'll be able to flow out of them better. More speed and flow and she'll be exactly where she needs to be.

I'd imagine her programs will change up a bit as well. I enjoyed her SP these past two years but I'd imagine they'll be going for something a bit more mature now. She can handle it. One thing I find remarkable about her is the attention she gives the music and movement in her programs. She hears the music and actually listens to it which is something some of her Russian competitors really need a lesson in. Alysa doesn't rush and there's a nice smoothness to her movements. She's little and cute, but she's very polished for someone so young.

Stronger skating skills with more speed, step up the programs, more flow and distance out of those jumps. That's what I hope to see from her.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Why would anyone do that?

There are certainly soap opera aspects to the sport, but it's not a "personal betrayal" to pursue new coaching and training directions. It's a business decision. She wants long term success, so she's making moves that she believes will get her there. (Well, I suppose I might say her family is making the decision... but you get the drift.)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I most definitely have the same question, but nonetheless, Alysa is a incredible young lady with extraordinary abilities and I wish her the best of luck with Lee Barkell and his team for seasons to come!

Alysa reminds me a bit of Tara - great joy but more artistic. Her family also appears to have great means to fund her dream. I think she is the real deal. Bradie has been a rock but Bradie does not have the it factor. She reminds me a bit of Kimmie Meissner. But skaters like Cohen and Bobek don't have a world gold to their names but theyhave the it factor moreso. Liu is similar. I wonder why Barkell is suddenly the latest flavour of the month. I think he had Jeffrey Buttle as a pupil before.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have to laugh with all the speculation and name calling at Lee Barkell like he's a nobody in this sport. You can thank him for all the wonderful jumps coming out of TCC before he made the move on his own and out of the shadow of Orser/Wilsons team there.

Skaters are going to Lee because they know that he knows what he's doing and the skaters/successes that came out of his work with them. He was known way before he went to TCC, he was originally at Mariposa in the 90s/00s where he was pairs director and worked with many pairs and singles names known to people here like Jeffrey Buttle, Chris Mabee, Oda, Langlois/Hay, Duhamel and her former partner, Arnold.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I have to laugh with all the speculation and name calling at Lee Barkell like he's a nobody in this sport. You can thank him for all the wonderful jumps coming out of TCC before he made the move on his own and out of the shadow of Orser/Wilsons team there.

Skaters are going to Lee because they know that he knows what he's doing and the skaters/successes that came out of his work with them. He knew way before he went to TCC, he was originally at Mariposa in the 90s/00s where he was pairs director and worked with many pairs and singles names known to people here like Jeffrey Buttle, Chris Mabee, Oda, Langlois/Hay, Duhamel and her former partner, Arnold.

Thank you for pointing this out. I think in skating people can forget that there are other great coaches besides the ones with easy name recognition. I think this is a good reminder.

Either way. Best of luck to Alysa.

Also, to the non-skaters- changing coaches is really hard. I am just an adult skater but when I changed coaches it felt like getting a divorce. I was also 29 years old. Alysa is 14 so maybe we shouldn’t read into her social media too much.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Skaters are going to Lee because they know that he knows what he's doing and the skaters/successes that came out of his work with them. He knew way before he went to TCC, he was originally at Mariposa in the 90s/00s where he was pairs director and worked with many pairs and singles names known to people here like Jeffrey Buttle, Chris Mabee, Oda, Langlois/Hay, Duhamel and her former partner, Arnold.

Hopefully it's a fruitful partnership. Alysa has already set a high bar, and it's important that she improves in certain areas without seeing any degradation in the jumps she excels at. She is coming as the top US woman, and probably one of the top 5 ladies in the world on scoring potential (outside of Russia). It'll be interesting to hear what her goals are for the upcoming season; the only thing she hasn't accomplished that she can do this year is win Junior Worlds.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
They have probably figured it all out. I did high school at a nearby town, and I had to take a school bus at 5 am every day, traveling for two hours just to get to my school. I mean, traveling by plane from US to Canada is not that bad. They are probably going to use a week system, like 3 weeks in US and 1 week in Canada. And many girls live by themselves to study, too. I started living alone at a bigger city to have a better high school at 15, and my cousins at 13. Those are the sacrifices some people have to do to reach their goals. I’m not saying it’s easy, but it’s possible with organization and family support.

Agreed. This has been happening probably for almost as long as the sport. Off hand current skater Donovan Carrillo was about 13 if i recall correctly when he had to move with his coach to another city to keep skating.

So much legal work can be done remotely, and even more now, that her dad likely could do half his job up with her. There are so many options.

Beyond that, Vincent and Jason also train at the Cricket Club. It may be a different country, but their is more than enough to make her feel at home. Many people her age have made harder decisions.

This is doable.

theharleyquinn

Medalist

Skaters are going to Lee because they know that he knows what he's doing and the skaters/successes that came out of his work with them. He was known way before he went to TCC, he was originally at Mariposa in the 90s/00s where he was pairs director and worked with many pairs and singles names known to people here like Jeffrey Buttle, Chris Mabee, Oda, Langlois/Hay, Duhamel and her former partner, Arnold.

I don't see anyone treating him as a nobody. He's a big name and now has a slate of top skaters that he's training on his own. It's just that this particular coaching arrangement can't be considered the same as Satoko or Vincent moving to train with Lee in Toronto. Alysa has a multi-coach arrangement and she will not be based at Granite with him. There are lots of moving variables here and past accolades are not always instructive when conditions are different.

slider11

Medalist
Alysa is entering an interesting segment of her life. She will undoubtedly go through some body changes since she has entered puberty and now also changing coaches. Maybe the theory is to make the coaching change now since she will likely have to make some adaptions to conform to her new physical capability. She seems like a capable young woman and it would seem ready for the change. I like it when someone makes changes before problems arise.