Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: 2012 Skate America Ice Dance SD

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Meryl's costume is perfectly fine as a generic Act 1 Giselle costume.. it's just not as flattering to her as it could be , so I hope for some improvement , since I always want all my favourites to look as good as possible.

Custom Title
    The 'generic' Act 1 Gisele costume is actually a romantic length tutu. Ice dance requires a shorter skirt, so it is all a question of proportion. For a lady as tiny as Meryl, I would recommend less fullness with the over-skirt the same length as the underskirt, and with less color contrast.

Custom Title
    Meryl's dress has a fullness that is very "polka-ish" . If you ever watch actual professional polkas - the dress is always somewhat short and very full. The dance itself requires a lightness and lift in each step, something that Davis & White do to perfection as to expression.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Yes it is true fans see what they want to see. I guess I see Davis and White being overmarked far too generously. In life, not every program is a clear cut winner. Sorry, I like D and W and know they probably will Oly and World gold but I just don't see how in the world or universe the judges can give them marks so far much ahead of the Candians and Russians. I expect if we are to be fair then V and M should be marked similarly in Canada. I just don't see why D and W should be marked that much better than Wever and Poje or even B and S. It is almost an insult. I hope the freeskate will be better judged. To think D and W even had a one point penalty - how in the world did the gap get bigger rather than get smaller? I think both B and S and W and P have made far greater strides than V and M or D and W yet the marks don't show it. D and W have this in the bag - wrapped up with a pretty bow and a bonus treat too lol.
    You must look at their feet. Poje is the weaker skater of the two and is often on 2 feet, especially in their FD. Neither skater has particularly deep edges. B&S don't skate on 2 feet and have good edging. Davis & White have the better/deeper edges.

Medalist
    I like D/W's polka very much! I like the little nods to the ballet, which are fun and cheeky. I loove the toe-pick hops in the middle--very clever! The costumes don't bother me--it seems consistent with other Giselle types I've seen. I just think they did a better job of selecting music--it carries them and the program so well. It keeps everything moving and when they stop to highlight sections of the music with a spectacular lift or bits of choreo, it just elevates the overall effect. On paper, I like their short dance the best this season.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8