Ducky / Sucky Lessons & Practices 7/13 - 7/19 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ducky / Sucky Lessons & Practices 7/13 - 7/19

L

Lanechka

Re: Ducky / Sucky Lessons & Practices 7/13 - 7/19

I haven't been on the ice since my encouter with The Ice From Hell(tm), but I just wanted to say congrats, Cindy, and congrats to everyone! Y'all are doing so great! :)

<strong>-Lanie</strong>, who will be back on the ice Thursday (with a coach who will probably be like I am going to kill you!) ;)

S

sk8er1964

Cinderella at the Ball!!!

Woo Hoo Cindy!!! Congrats too - and welcome to the ADULT GOLD MIF CLUB (we are few, but dedicated :D ).

I'm sure you'll do just fine next month on your Silver test. I did the same as you are - used the Bronze music and added 30 seconds for the Silver. It worked out well for me, and I am sure it will for you too.

Ducky: My son had a figure skating lesson yesterday. My son - the little hockey kid. And whats more, he liked it and wants to do it again :) . I told him he can do both hockey and figure skating for now (next year we have to make a decision about more expensive travel hockey so he may have to make a choice then). So we are scheduling another lesson for next week.

This was only his second time ever on figure skates (the first time was about 15 minutes long at an open skate well over a year ago). He came on the ice and promptly tripped over his toepicks. My coach and I looked at each other -- oh no. But he rallied and skated around getting used to the blades while I had a (previously unplanned) lesson. Then he had a lesson. Coach fixed his back crossovers and taught him a mohawk, both moves he's been trying to do on hockey skates. Then he did a two foot spin, a one foot spin, a side hop, and a waltz jump. Not bad for the first time - my buttons are really bursting with pride! :D

As for me, I've had an ah-ha moment on the 2Toe. My mind knows what I need to do - it's just getting my body to do it that is the hard part. Attempted a gazillion 2Toes today (well, maybe not that many :lol: ) and landed all gazillion of them on my butt. Sigh. However, the takeoff and launch is better, so the rest will come.

Happy skating to all!!!!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Re: Cinderella at the Ball!!!

SK8R1964 - Thanks for the congrats. This is definitely a "club" that I want to belong too. Now I hope to prove myself worthy by continuing to improve. I have to confess, I'm so excited about your son embracing figure skating!!! It is always a rush to see "new" skaters embracing the sport and (hopefully) becoming addicted. I think there are so many opportunities for good male skaters. I hope he'll continue.

STARSHINE - Thanks also for the big congrats! You asked about the grades. On the Adult Gold, you need a passing average of 3.0 for each of the 6 moves for a total of 18.0 from each of 3 judges. I received two grades of 18.2 and one 18.4! So that was quite exciting. On the Bronze freestyle, the passing average is 2.5 each for technical merit and presentation, making the passing total 5.0. I received a 5.0 and two 5.3s. So I'm over the moon!

LANIE - Thanks, too for the congrats. Thursday will be hear before you know it and you may not be as rusty as you think. Don't forget to run through everything you know how to do in your head many times before then. I find that it is very helpful to me, and it is a proven scientific fact that just thinking about doing moves triggers your brain into strengthening the neuropathic signals that are required to actually do them. So "virtual" skate your way into your lesson on Thursday!

S

starshinexavier

Those are some awesome marks there Cindy! I'm sooo proud of you!

I will keep everyone posted about how the coaching's going as well. Mackenzie's competing in a few weeks, so right now, we're just trying to get her landing axels and polishing up her solo. She's the cutest thing, and if I get any pics of her, I definitely will post them.

About going to Mariposa, I'm hoping to go visit Stephers a few times during the summer for about a day each. I have to talk to her dad about going, so whenever he's gonna go, I'll go too.

Happy Skating!

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Whoo hoo Cindy--THREE CHEERS and a tiger for you!! You go, girl!!!!:D :D :D

R

rachelstarlet

Yay Cindy! Fabulous job. I hope that I can someday achieve what you have - you are truly inspirational! I know that was corny :) but it's true.

G

Glacierskater

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">CINDERELLA!</span> WOO HOO! I am so proud of you! I knew you would do it! The only thing that you did not mention was whether the cast piqued the curiosity of the judges, and if they asked about it? I can't believe how much you are skating with a cast on! What a trooper :D
You are inspiring me to get there!

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">SK8ER1964:</span> I double as a hockey player/figure skater, and I think that figure skating is much harder. I have had several of the guys that I play with comment on edge control with the figure skating, and how much it helps with the hockey as well. I think it is great that your son is doing both.

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">YAZMEEN:</span> I am envious of your spiral progress! I wish that my coach would do a little more in the area of artistry, and getting me to do some of the things that you mentioned. I can usually do what she shows me, but I lack the experience and creativity at this point to just come up with it myself. I love the idea of an adult flexibility class, and targeting problem areas. I so wish that we had that at our rink.

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">STARSHINE:</span> IT is great to hear (read) that you are so pumped up about coaching. From what you have told us, you are working hard at it, and your passion is bound to turn out some fine skaters. Keep ip the good work. I wish that I had the guts to go after the coaching thing. I really don't think that my foundation is strong enough, but andmire those that are doing it. GOOD JOB!

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">AS FOR GLACIERSKATER:</span>
I have been immersed in skate camp for the last past of the week. My week ends on Wednesdays at 0700 every week, as I work nights. I got up at noon on Wednesday after a nap, and headed to the rink to help with the last half of skate camp. Got my feet wet Wednesday. At 0645 on Thursday, I was at the rink raring to go. I got to do a figures class in between my service time. That was the first time that I have ever done figures. It was HARD! I had no idea. I am going to be doing figures lesson with my coach once a week. I really like them. Makes me a feel a little Sonja Henie-esque :p
Then my little ice princesses arrived at 0900, and I helped with them until they left at 0200. We had a great time. At lunch we ate (I sat at the little table in the little chairs with them) and then colored pictures of ice skaters. We had girl talk, and discussed all things important to an ice princess of 5 to 7 years old. Once the ladies left, we continued camp unitl about 0600 that night. Then, Friday, up and at 'em again at 0645. I got to do the figures thing again, except this time we made up footwork...my weakest element...especially footwork on the fly. I would never be a good interpretive skater. At lunch we ate, then we all donned our skates, and I took to the ice with about 14 of the most delightful ice princesses that ever lived. HOW REWARDING THIS WAS! They all wanted to show me what they could do, and I could not answer questions fast enough. I loved it. I don't have kids, and our rink is a free facility, so this week was my chance to give back to my sport and my rink. I am looking forward to Learn to Skate this fall...I peer coach classes. (Nothing like private coaching, I assure you!)

I had a lesson on Thursday after about 11 hours of working camp. I have started to land my loop consistently. And I have been able to build me confidence back up with the flip...you all may remember that I BONKED my head on the flip last week. AND, AND, AND, I started the preliminary steps into the axel! I cannot believe it! It is basic, but it is progress! I am working on the waltz jump to back spin for the axel. Did anyone else learn it that way? Everyone says that it is hard. I feel like I am a strong skater, so I hope it comes easily. I guess that's it. I did not get to skate or practice much this week. Saturday I was too exhausted to skate, plus I had to work that night, so I let myself recover a bit. I hope to have good news later this week!

Glacierskater

C

Cinderella On Ice

Thanks again, everyone for the kind words. Last night DH and I stayed up to re-cut my music so it is now 2 min 10 secs. I have some rearranging of the choreography to do in order to add in all the silver elements. There are a minimum of 7 required jumps (loop, flip, 1 single of choice, 1 jump combo (2 singles) and 1 jump sequence. Then there are 4 spins (camel, combo spin, camel/sit, and either layback/attitude/sit spin). Plus spirals and connecting steps. I think the biggest challenge is just fitting it all in to that time frame and still trying to look artistic! I hope to come up with a plan today and then try it out tomorrow morning at practice. Wouldn't my coach be surprised on Tuesday if I am basically all ready to work on the brand new program? She can tweak the choreography to smarten up the connecting moves and artistry (such as it is--hoo boy, do I need some work there). I have exactly 4 weeks to work on this program if I am going to test it in August. That's not really a lot of time, when you think about the fact that I can only do a run-through maybe twice in one skating session. So depending on how many times I skate a week, I may only get a chance to do the program 16-20 times before testing. Yeesh!

GLACIER - I'm totally impressed with your volunteerism and am convinced that you've helped several ice princesses on the way to their skating dreams. When I think back on all the adults who volunteered at our rink and helped run our summer camps and made scenery and played music, etc. etc., I am still grateful to them, and it's been 30 years! Seriously, your commitment is wonderful and I totally respect and admire you for it! Oh, and CONGRATS on starting on the axel preparations! Don't let how "hard" it is psyche you out. You may find that you don't struggle with it much at all, that it just naturally progresses. Don't even allow negative thoughts near your axel brain!

S

sk8er1964

Cindy -

Good luck starting on your new program. It sounds ambitious. I don't have this year's rule book (just last year's), but I don't think this part has changed - you might want to check with the USFSA. 7 jumps and 4 spins is too much for a 2:10 program.

Anyway, according to my rule book, you only need 5 jumps/combos (loop, flip, plus one other, one combo jump and one sequence) and 3 spins/combo (camel, combo spin and choice of layback/attitude/or sit spin). When I did my Bronze into Silver program, I did the elements in the exact same places in the program (just changed it to fit the requirements ie salchow became a loop) and put the jump sequence and part of the combo spin in the extra 30 seconds.

I hope I haven't offended you, but in my opinion there's no need to make this harder than it has to be, especially when you are so pressed for time.

As far as my skating went yesterday - it looked like this:

toe loop walk-through -- single toe loop -- axel -- single toe loop -- double toe loop -- fall -- repeat :rolleyes: :lol:

C

Cinderella On Ice

Sk8r1964 - Oops, I didn't mean to confuse on the number of jumps. I was counting each of the 2 jumps in the combo and the sequence separately. I was thinking that getting a variety of jumps would be nice (in other words, not doing the required flip, the required loop, and then as the jump combo doing a flip/loop). Or on the spins, you need a camel and a camel/sit, so not then using a sit again as the solo spin.

I've done exactly what you suggested--substitute things for other things wherever possible. My "dismay" was that the way we added in the extra 30 seconds, I wasn't sure that the music lent itself to the requisite camel spin. But I shoved a couple of things around a bit, and I think I'm going to like this even better. I'm still so new at choreography, though, that I don't know if I've allowed the right amounts of time for the new elements, so I'll find out tomorrow morning on-ice. And then my coach can certainly tinker with it on Tuesday, since that's what I pay her for.

It used to be I could do this stuff in my sleep because I knew how long it took me to get from here to there. Now I suspect that it's taking me a lot longer to get from here to there! :lol:

I appreciate the advice. I am SO hoping to make it to ANs and meet you in April!

P.S. How is the falling affecting that leg? Is everything holding up?

G

Glacierskater

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">SK8ER1964:</span>:
Excellent job on your jumps! I am so impressed! Whoo, I hope that someday I will be just thowing out the axel like no big thing in my repetoire. I am evious, and you and Cinder are inspiring me. I have to admit that some days I ask myself what I am doing? I have high aspirations, and I get scared that I might not make it. Then I lace up my skates and give it my all. You guys keep me focused that I CAN do it. Thank you that.

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">CINDER:</span>
I am so excited for you. I hope to be in your skates (figuratively) next year. I have never tested USFSA, and I will be doing that this year. Next year I hope to work on AN for 2005. I have a wedding next year also...wedding or skating? It's a huge scale to balance. At any rate, I will be looking forward to some "CINDERELLA ON ICE" video maybe?
I truly hope so!

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">RACHEL:</span> Rachel, Rachel....I have hot pink hard guards and purple soakers. Wait, let me back up...HAD. I have a bad habit of leaving my guards everywhere. Lost the pink ones at my rink, left my competition white guards at the DU rink in Denver, and I have no idea where my lavender hard guards are now...oh, and I also lost a pair of perwinkle hard guards somewhere. I need to get a bulk discount...

Want to hear something funny...axel and USFSA are not in the spell checker :p

S

sk8er1964

Glacier -- Hold on to your dreams. On another site, I have a signature with two quotes - I take both of them to heart. They are:

"The only place where success comes before work is in a dictionary." -- Vidal Sasson

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Unknown

Cindy - Glad I just misunderstood. Sounds like you have it all under control! Looking forward to April too -- are you thinking of coming to Sectionals in March???

Rachel - my pretty purple guards got lifted - so now I have ugly gold ones. Nobody has touched them :lol:

Yazmeen - I haven't mentioned you in a while. I'm glad you are doing well in your skating. Are you going to try USFSA/AN (you've done ISI, right?) Although I know nobody else here will understand, I'm going to ask anyway -- how is Justine?

I didn't do the view thing right, so I'm going out of memory here again. I know I've missed Starshine, Figureskates and Lancheka - sorry. Hope all is going well!!!

R

rachelstarlet

Haha... I'm glad my taste in guard/soaker colors isn't just limited to me and all the 7 year old girls at my rink :) Grrr, no one better steal my new guards -- but, last Thursday (a session I didn't bother posting about bcs all I did was avoid middle school campers on hockey skates), someone knocked all my stuff - guards, gloves, water bottle - off the little ledge. I'm very protective of my new equipment!

Glacierskater - just wanted to note that when I was younger I lived in Denver (until I was 13) and I used to skate a few times a year at the DU rink. I don't remember much about skating then except I once saw a guy do a backflip there and was awestruck. Anyway, the memory made me smile :)

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Sk8er1964: I keep going back and forth on USFSA. My coach wants me to test, and I plan to hopefully take my Pre-Bronze MITF in the upcoming season; however, I'm a bit ambivalent about competing. I've seen some kids and adults who just about work themselves into frenzies over the competitions and who sometimes just get plain "whacked" by the judging. Heck, I get nervous enough competing ISI!!! :rollin: I probably will do it, but I'm in no rush. My main goal is to learn to skate well. Competition is just icing on the cake.

Justine, unfortunately, no longer lives in our area. She did get her blades, but her Mom could no longer afford to live in the area and the kids were sent to their grandparents out West after school ended in June. Mom will move out this fall. The rest of the money is going to go to a support fund for the kids. We bagged the idea of the ISI jackets since they won't be part of our team anymore. We hope she will keep up her skating out there. Its really sad that they couldn't stay, but financial realities can be a bear. We'll miss all of them.

M

melimeli29

sucky: I cant consistantly do my change foot spin and the test is in 1 and a half weeks.
ducky: I can finally do my salchow well.

G

Glacierskater

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">Yazmeen,</span>I usually make myself sick about competition, then remind myself that this is all for fun. It usually helps. Competing really is fun.

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-size:medium;">MEL:</span>
Just keep practicing. You will get it. I still bobbled my change foot now and again, but it is a fin spin. Good luck on testing.