Pairs Long program | Golden Skate

Pairs Long program

brenlynn

On the Ice
count me in as wondering the same thing! it has to be over by now. i wish the usfsa used icecalc for nationals so we could watch some exciting live results! :laugh:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Unofficial standings as of 8:00pm

1-Handy & Allen
2-Spielberg & Joeright
3-Hinzman & Parchem
4-Vise & Kole
5-Stiegler & Cording
6-Evora & Ladwig
7-Phibbs & McPherson
8-Roth & Hartsell
9-Vise & Trent
10-Sfikas & Weiss
11-Appel & Harris
12-Sandova & Ibarra
13-Howerton & Pottenger
14-Mayne & Modro
15-Mattson & Heffron
16-Rogeness & Rogeness

brenlynn

On the Ice
thanks rgirl! i nearly died though... i kind of skipped the line that said standings as of 8pm :laugh: i was like did hell freeze over?! then i regained sanity and re-read it!!

brenlynn

On the Ice
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

1. Rena & John
2. Katie & Garrett :D :D
3. Tiff & Phil
4. Don & Hunt

that's what a friend told me, hopefully it's right!!! WOOHOO KATIE AND GARRETT!!!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I read that I/B had THREE falls... so I can only imagine what a splatfest the other two medal winning teams must have had! Yikes!

brenlynn

On the Ice
one of my friends that was there, called another one of my friends who i am talking to online and she said katie and garrett skated the cleanest of the medal winners and the junior team who won last night could have easily taken the title :\ poor us pairs :(

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
RESULTS:
1-Inoue & Baldwin
2-Orscher & Lucash
3-Scott & Dulebohn
4-Don & Hunt
5-Handy & Allen
6-Spielberg & Joeright
7-Hinzman & Parchem
8-Vise & Kole
9-Stiegler & Cording
10-Evora & Ladwig
11-Phibbs & McPherson
12-Roth & Hartsell
13-Vise & Trent
14-Sfikas & Weiss
15-Appel & Harris
16-Sandova & Ibarra
17-Howerton & Pottenger
18-Mayne & Modro
19-Mattson & Heffron
20-Rogeness & Rogeness

Apparently Don & Hunt were clean, the crowd loved them and loudly protested their 4th place position.

brenlynn

On the Ice
i can hardly wait to see this on tv tomorrow... i wish i didn't have to work. i need to judge for myself, even though it'll probably make me even more mad then i already am!!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Another shocker.........my system can't take much more of this (sure it can).........I wonder who they will send to the Worlds....can they send two or three pair teams this year? 42

brenlynn

On the Ice
i believe it's only two teams this season.

others were saying that the usfsa would send S/D over O/L, but if they do that... they'll have A LOT of explaining to do. O/L definetly earned their spot on the world team, and it'll be a great experience for them getting to go again this year since they're nerves really effected them last year. I really look forward to seeing this team develop even more!! :D

amykaren

On the Ice
I am glad that S&D were not held up just because they are previous national champs. If they skated bad, they shouldn't win. It must be hard for them though to go from national champs to 3rd place. Ouch.

April

Rinkside
Yes

I am not surprised. S&D need major reworking. Their music choices and jumps are not there for me. I&B bring a special connection on the ice that last years champs don't. O&L are 100% better than last year, better lifts, speed, and connection. I am glad that the judges did not hold S&D up. The pairs with the best skated program and skating technique deserved to win.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
It should be very interesting to watch, indeed, tho by the sounds of it, probably with eyes peeking out between hands might be the best way!:laugh: They had better NOT send S & D to Worlds over O & L; those two have been held up for far too long (they had absolutely NO business being on the Olympic team) and the USFSA has got to just cut their losses and move on and try and see who we've got who can do better.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I was hoping I&B would win. I do not yet love this team, but I think they have a lot of potential. And I never did like S&D.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just got back from the rink, so here's my report on the US pairs, none of whom really want to win the medal. I'll get the top 4 in first and add a second post for the rest of the teams. Remember we are relying on my scratchy notes, and not perfect ability to identify stuff, especially in one corner that I couldn't see too well from my seat.

In the warmup, all the pairs did quite well. All those throws and 3 toes that they were goofing up in performance, they can all do those in the warmup. But O&L and D&H really can't do lifts at the level of either S&D or I&B, even when they are relaxed. I would like to send them all to a sports therapist. But that aside, each of the top 4 have real strengths and real weaknesses.

First to skate were Orscher and Lucash. Their program was to Spartacus. They started off the with split triple twist with the crash into the chest that is all the top pairs seem to be able to manage. They then did a very nice SBS 3t with steps to a double jump that I didn't catch the edge of. This first part of the program is very very bare with a lot of telegraphing. They did a triple throw that Katie could not hold the landing edge on. They did SBS double axels, but Katie singled hers. Then she fell completely out of a lift. She did a gorgeous, I think forward outside death spiral and a very beautiful second triple throw. A pretty good back outside death spiral, but then they lost unison in the final steps.

Inoue and Baldwin skated next. They started with SBS triples of some sort. I think he intentionally doubled his, but I am not sure.
Triple twist, same crash on the chest as all the other. They did great double axels, steps some triple which John screwed up, rushed to the middle for a throw and Rena splatted again. They then did some of the softest, fastest, longest, most variation of position lifts you will see anywhere, in the middle of which was a respectable triple throw. One has a great, soft one hand putdown. He presented her at every point. The last lift was not of the calibre of the others, but still good. Their connection to each other, speed, unison in spins, etc was just first rate. But John needs to land the triples, and they need to provide more space between the 2a 3t? sequence and the throw triple, so if there is a problem, they can set up properly. The program had problems at the beginning, but they finished very strong.

Don and Hunt skate. Same terrible triple twist but the crash was even a little more on the chest. They did a 3t2t but she did a 2t2t. Their lifts in general were two-handed and ended up in a striking but relatively easy positions where he is holding her upside down hanging on either front or back. They did a flying sit (very hard) but lose the extra points by screwing up the unison. They did a very good pair spin where she is holding her skate-looks nice. They then completely blew the one lift where he could have locked out and showed control. They did a throw double rather than a triple, she couldn't get up out of the death spiral.
There were other unison issues. People liked it a lot,.

Finally Scott and Dulebohn go to skate last year's Les Miserables program. It starts with the forward outside death spiral. Then they try their 3t2t and it is a total splat for both of them in different ways. Their triple twist is the best of the group but still not great. They do a simple lift with a flipout. Nice. They do a throw, which is low and scratchy. They completely blow a lift and have a hard time getting unentangled. All the air goes out of their balloon. Their spins are dead out of unison. They do a single revolution throw, have problems with double axel, and basically do not fight through the problems and give up.

So how would I have had it?
I&B
O&L
D&H
S&D

But it's very close, and difficult to judge when all the programs are flawed. S&D last, because they don't fight to the end and give up. The program lost all performance quality. The other 3 pairs had problems but still managed to produce a performance.

dpp