Ashley Wagner | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I do like her SP and prefer it over the super-busy programs.

However, I think it could be improved by adding a bit more (e.g. split jump during the first musical crescendo). Also, it hasn't yet been skated to perfection: Her Nationals performance was probably the strongest technically, but it still had a visible error and she seemed focused on the elements (though eagle - 3F - eagle was a dream). Her GP performances actually were better to me, from an emotional standpoint. However, the tech wasn't quite there.

If she can skate her Nationals SP layout perfectly at Worlds, with passion, I think it would deserve great marks. But adding a split jump would make me even happier. :)

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I just found out that Ashley has been added to the Canadian Stars on Ice Tour... guess I'll be seeing her skate in May! I'm ready to be blessed and have my life changed. Still on the fence about buying tickets for the meet n greet though, not sure if worth yet.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I do like her SP and prefer it over the super-busy programs.

However, I think it could be improved by adding a bit more (e.g. split jump during the first musical crescendo). Also, it hasn't yet been skated to perfection: Her Nationals performance was probably the strongest technically, but it still had a visible error and she seemed focused on the elements (though eagle - 3F - eagle was a dream). Her GP performances actually were better to me, from an emotional standpoint. However, the tech wasn't quite there.

If she can skate her Nationals SP layout perfectly at Worlds, with passion, I think it would deserve great marks. But adding a split jump would make me even happier. :)
Maybe adding some transitions? Because her SP for now doesn't look as busy as other top ladies.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Maybe adding some transitions? Because her SP for now doesn't look as busy as other top ladies.
I would add something here, on the crescendo of the music. Then perhaps a more interesting entry into her double axel--she's clearly capable of one, since she does so in the LP.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I think her SP is perfect for her.. I think the fact that it's not as "busy" shows her maturity. She is the oldest in the field, and I think it makes her seem like an elegant lady. Just my thoughts though!! :cheer:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ashley, Adam, and Chock/Bates on the #WhatsUpWorldTeam hangout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNKx33hL8nI Featuring sharing pants, smelly dogs, and monocled intellectuals, among other wacky things.

Ashley gives the best interviews. She's fun, open, doesn't give cookie-cutter answers--but at the same time, her words don't feel mean-spirited to me. You can tell she genuinely loves the sport. :)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The hangout was fun, more lively than Monday's (no offense to Josh, Alexa and Chris). I love Ashley's personality and the way she and Adam interact is hilarious. They make you feel like you could go for a drink with them dish about the skating world.

I think it was funny that she was eating during the hangout, though. I wouldn't want the world to see me chomping away, but Ashley is very What You See is What You Get (as she says).

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
New Icenetwork article about Ashley and Arutunian's training: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/03/17/113124356

What really caught my eye was the bit at the end:
"In April, when [the season] is finished, I will talk to her about trying something tougher for next year," he said. "Sometimes, skaters will say, 'I don't want to do that anymore -- it's too tough.' But I will ask her, 'We made it last season. Do you want to go further?' And if she says yes, we will do more. That's the way I work."
"something tougher for next year"? Frankly, I think Ashley's very competitive for the top places if she can land those 3-3s, but Rafael's still considering more difficulty? Well, it'll be interesting, to say the least. Maybe it'll just be jump entries, but who knows...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
My guess is that is his way of saying they will make attempts at the 3A and maybe a quad but does not want to flat out say it in case it does not go well.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I hope she works on transitions and her speed, also maybe a little bit on choreography for her spins, I think during a competition I took a quick look and in the choreography she got more time for her spins in her SP compared to her LP which probably affects her levels.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ashley's LP at Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLGalbuDt0A

It wasn't quite Nationals. It wasn't even GPF (though YMMV; Eurosport disagrees with me). But it was nice to see her get into the Top 5 after that SP...

Maybe I'm becoming one of those perpetually-hopeful fans, but I look forward to what Ashley brings next year, and I think she still has that medal-winning performance within her. It saddens me that many people seem to care about Ashley only insofar as she brings medals to the US. One half seems to demand more when she gets medals and tell her she's done when she doesn't. The other half seems to go off on another extreme, blaming pressure/politics ect. (even as Ashley's fan, it's quite inexplicable to blame the judging in this case).

I just like watching Ashley skate, and want her to do well for her, not for some great legacy of US ladies that can never be lived up to. I want to see her finally perform Spartacus clean at WTT, simply because the program deserves it. Anyone with me? :)

On a happier note, it's good to see Ashley part of the Stars on Ice Canada cast. I'm thinking of going, if I can figure out how to not get an error message when I try to buy tickets...

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just like watching Ashley skate, and want her to do well for her, not for some great legacy of US ladies that can never be lived up to. I want to see her finally perform Spartacus clean at WTT, simply because the program deserves it. Anyone with me?

I am with you. I also agree that her Worlds FP wasn't as good as the GPF but she did fight (she did not curse after her program, I'm sure she said "I fought") especially on that last lutz. Maybe the Eurosport guys thought it was great b/c they didn't watch or commentate on her amazing FS from Nationals.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good luck, Ashley. I'll be right there with you!

I'm one who likes her Spartacus SP just as it is; I think the luxuriant skating really shows off her stellar emotional and musical interpretation. Looking forward to it.

And her Moulin Rouge program is just spectacular. My guess is she'll skate both programs well. Ashley strikes me as one who does even better when she has the extra punch of skating for a team. Although her FS in Greensboro was one of the most powerful performances I've witnessed. I was in Greensboro for nationals; and it was really something the way the audience was so mesmerized that everyone seemed impelled to collectively surge to our feet. Don't get me wrong, I would have been on my feet anyway. But the emotional power of that performance was, IMO, the most exciting and compelling moment of Senior nationals. I hope it has a similar effect in Japan. Kudos to Shaelynne Bourne (eternal Bourne/Krantz fan here) for catching Ashley's spirit so well with the choreography.

Best of luck, Ashley!

randomfan

Record Breaker
I just can't agree with Ashley's score. It definitely should have been 130+. The two triple-triples were clearly not UR.

I always hated it when skaters reused their programs from a previous season, but I wouldn't mind seeing Ashley's programs again next season (both SP and FS).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
From WTT
SP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2muo4g_アシュリー-ワグナー-ashley-wagner-2015-world-team-trophy-sp_sport Her best SP emotionally, imo. If only we could splice in that amazing 3F from Nationals with this performance. First internationally ratified 3Lz-3T too (maybe a strict panel could've given !, but let's be positive for now).
LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edQ7MWwkQtw I thought it was quite mesmerizing. She did have a more visible error compared to GPF, but I thought the rest of the program was (even) better.

As for rotation--her jumps are not 100% fully backwards like, say, Elena's (easiest comparison since they skated back-to-back). However, there's no obvious hook/swing like, say, Zijun had on the same night. It's hard to tell without slow motion, but I'm inclined to say she's "underrotating," but not beyond the allowed 1/4 mark. I guess it just depends on the panel. In light of the calls others got, I'd give her the lutz-toe, though maybe not the loop-salchow (but still much better than her GPF attempt). 3Lze is baffling. Looked like a pure flat edge !.

peachblossom

Rinkside
I love Ashley's Moulin Rouge program, I wish she would use it again next season. Her Black Swan and Moulin Rouge free program are my favorites.

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
I heard from several people that she talked about keeping her FS for next season. Does anyone know if she actually said that?

IMHO, she was waaaaaaaay underscored at WTT. I watched that 3Lz+3T several times and even slowed it down.. it was very obviously all the way around. Her TEC score went down 7 points from when she finished to when she got her score.

PCS score was a huge joke, too. Gracie actually scored HIGHER than Ashley (not much but still higher) and Tuktamysheva was something like 3 points higher. I understand Tuk being a great skater - she deserved the world title with that amazing 3A - her jump technique is amazing and she has been super consistent all season, but I am SO TIRED of the Russian girls receiving huge PCS scores when all they do is go out there and wave their hands around with crossovers and maybe a few skippy dance moves. And I'm sorry, Tuk is just that.

Maybe next season Ashley will compete more and actually not crumble under pressure in the worlds SP. Wishful thinking?? She's gotta do SOMETHING. Competing more definitely helps. I think she has the potential of being world champion, if she would just skate clean. Had she not messed up the short at Worlds she could have won silver, or bronze. That's gotta kill her.
I guess we'll see how next season goes down!