Javier Fernandez | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Javier Fernandez

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I think he can beat a one-mistake Yuzuru with his current layout (one-jump-mistake Yuzuru, that is. Not "Oh, Yuzuru lost a spin level.") It'll at least be a close battle.

The problem is Javi doesn't seem capable of skating his layout even close to clean. At this rate, he's gonna slip to bronze behind Denis Ten.

Propably you are right. I don't know what to say even. I would say that Javi's LP layout is like labirynth that he can't find the way out so far......

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
What if he tries a very basic entry for his 3As in the LP? There's a lot of content and transitions in the rest of the program, so no one can fault him for it. And I for one would enjoy a cleaner program even if it has more breathing points.

(I'm trying desperately to think of something, because I don't want him to run off to Worlds like this... but I also suspect that two quads + one 3A won't be enough, unless Yuzuru makes two or more mistakes. And Javi's goal is probably to win, not just to nail down his podium spot).

Javier said he aims to win Euro's and land on the World Podium (aiming for silver this time?) because he wants to be "realistic"....:hopelessness: He needs to spend some more time with Yuzuru so that "I want to win everything" mentality rubs off on him some more.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Javier said he aims to win Euro's and land on the World Podium (aiming for silver this time?) because he wants to be "realistic"....:hopelessness: He needs to spend some more time with Yuzuru so that "I want to win everything" mentality rubs off on him some more.

Ye, I thinked that maybe he lacks time with Yuzuru this year, and lost a little fire to win without him :laugh2:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Yes, as endearing as his laidback attitude is, I really want to see him put up a good fight! Someone has to give Yuzuru a real challenge (although I like him a lot too, but it's no fun when you know exactly how things are going to turn out every time).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yes, as endearing as his laidback attitude is, I really want to see him put up a good fight! Someone has to give Yuzuru a real challenge (although I like him a lot too, but it's no fun when you know exactly how things are going to turn out every time).
Indeed. I like Yuzuru, but I want someone to be there to push him to be better. To improve his 4S, his lutz, ect. Machida could've been that person, but he looked less focused as the season carried on and has now retired. It's up to Javi (and maybe Denis when it comes to Worlds, but Denis doesn't really "show up" throughout the season).

Javi's comments about "World podium" confused me. He must know that he can challenge Yuzuru if he skates his content cleanly. Does he know he can't skate it cleanly? Then why doesn't he try a different layout...? It's a little frustrating, despite his win today, because I like him and I know he could be better.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Well Patrick will be back next season and who knows what he'll bring :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
congratz javi :cheer: not perfect but well deserved gold medal:clap:

and from medal ceremony, whats this, a bull fight??? :rofl:

:laugh: I'd love to see what that is all about! I'll go off to the Euros subforum and see if anyone has got the medal ceremony...

By the way, I've not seen the competition yet - boring story involving Adobe flashplayer - I'll be watching the 3.00 am Eurosport broadcast (on Swedish Eurosport) instead. But, congratulations to Javi - sorry to hear he wasn't at his best, but... shall we pretend that he has "saved" it for Worlds'? One must keep a hopeful and cheerful outlook, or one will be forever depressed...

sonora

On the Ice

When I followed the Euros thread ( I did not have the stream) I honestly felt Javi should have brought Yuzu with him( only if he could)! Nobody can beat Yuzu's fighting spirit, and Javi seems to need this badly.

But when I cool down, I again feel Javi is Javi. skating is not all his life. He has a far more balanced personal life and that makes him happy too. Yuzu, on the contrary, is so focused on skating (the only other part is his education) so he burns 100% to achieve what he can. Nothing wrong with either way. They have different personalities and want different things at different stage of their lives. I just like them both and cheer for both.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Javi's LP is extremely difficult to skate clean. Just the amount of transitions he does on his 3A and Lutz combo is probably equal to most guy's on tour do in their whole LPs. I think if he removes some of those transitions he might have more chance of landing this insane layouy. Three quads and one 3A is already difficult so I think he could be given a pass if he does fewer transitions.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Apparently the reason he looked so bored and sad watching others' skaters was because he felt sleepy. :laugh2:

Esopian

Final Flight
Ye, I thinked that maybe he lacks time with Yuzuru this year, and lost a little fire to win without him :laugh2:
When I followed the Euros thread ( I did not have the stream) I honestly felt Javi should have brought Yuzu with him( only if he could)! Nobody can beat Yuzu's fighting spirit, and Javi seems to need this badly.

I agree with both of you, it's definitely not that Javier has become dependant on Yuzuru, it's just that Yuzu motivates Javi in a way that no one else can. That's one reason I really like how they're both training mates.

At this competition he seemed to look very concentrated, but at the same time a bit disheartened (possibly with lack of Yuzu?). Although I might be overlooking things, the medal ceremony didn't seem to have as much spirit compared the GPF 2014 ceremony where both of them were congratulating each other like crazy. And with Yuzu endlessly clapping/cheering for Javi at the ceremony in Barcelona, it really felt like they have a special connection through figure skating. ;) Hopefully they both do great at Worlds!

Meoima

Match Penalty
So Javi needs Yuzuru, and Yuzuru needs Javi as well. Javi needs Yuzuru by his side to get motivation. Oh how much I hope Yuzuru will fly to Canada asap after Euro. Javi has to be fast because or else Nam will take his place in Yuzuru's heart as the new motivation....
OH WAIT it's like romantic novel. :laugh2:

Esopian

Final Flight
^ Hahaha, true. :laugh:
I hope they'll have a good reunion in Toronto when Yuzu fully recovers and flies back to the Cricket Club. Then the motivation can start again! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wonder when Javi was happier. After winning his 3rd European Championship a few days ago, or when he was getting this photo taken back in 2002:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd...._=1431161682_cdfd4b1a374e3c7cad755c87508ed87e

Suffice to say, Javi is the boy at the bottom of the pic with the big smile! (Who can blame him, being surrounded by so many girls?! :laugh: )

But what shocked me was Sonia Lafuente. She has not changed AT ALL in the past 12 years! :eek: (Put it like this - I shouldn't need to point out where she is in the photo!)

I don't know any of the other skaters in the photo. But thank you to the girl standing at the top, as she is the one that uploaded the photo to Facebook (back in 2009...)

CaroLiza_fan

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^^^ Nice find! He was so cute (still is, of course!).

Sara Hurtado wrote a new article about Javier (and the rest of the Spanish team, but mostly focused on Javi, I think) which you can see here. It's on pages 27-31 and there are many nice photos even if you don't understand Spanish. I only know a little myself, so perhaps someone would be kind enough to translate?

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
^^^ Nice find! He was so cute (still is, of course!).

Sara Hurtado wrote a new article about Javier (and the rest of the Spanish team, but mostly focused on Javi, I think) which you can see here. It's on pages 27-31 and there are many nice photos even if you don't understand Spanish. I only know a little myself, so perhaps someone would be kind enough to translate?

It starts talking about how Spanish Figure Skating has had it best results in EC this year.

Then goes to tlak about how as a team they supported Javier, and how Javier continues to be the same person.

The talks a little how important Javier achivements have been for FS in Spain, how he has had so many first in Euro, Worlds,and since they as a team have follow his footsteps... etc. And they hope to get a podium one day.

Thats all.