T&D and new judging system | Golden Skate

T&D and new judging system

rusalka

On the Ice
how much do you think Torvill and Dean would have scored at the olympics in 1984 using the system that was used for this year's g.p.?

tdnuva

On the Ice
I'd give them great chances anyway cause their technique was very good.

BUT - I probably wouldn't that much be interested in their programs - compared to their free and original dances 1982-1984, cause the new rules (not the judging system) bring so much limitations..... Otoh - if there would be a couple that might come out with interesting routines, it might be them.

Everything that followed T&D, imo, is because of T&D. They changed Ice Dancing forever.

Whether they would do well with the CoP, we will never know. It is like asking Could Oksana Baiul defend her Olympic Championship in Nagano? We will never know.

However, we can mull over it. I think T&D would do just fine.

Joe

rusalka

On the Ice
I'm sorry, maybe my question wasn't very clear. I don't doubt T&D would have done fine also now(actually, I ADORE them). I was just wondering what their score would have been.(I know it's a stupid question & there's no answer)

icenut84

Final Flight
You mean in Bolero in 84? If COP had been used, they wouldn't have choreographed Bolero like that (in fact, I read that Bolero wouldn't even be legal under today's rules). For a start, I believe in COP they want required step sequences (plus side-by-side ones?) - which Bolero didn't have, or probably wouldn't be seen as having. That FD wasn't a showcasing of element to element with clear distinctions between them, like a lot of todays routines are. It was a whole, you can't easily break it down into sections. So I have no idea how it would have been marked - because I doubt it would have ever been done, at least not the way it was.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Icenut, I think you are partially right. First of all, if CoP had been formulated 20 years ago, it would have looked very different. Also, I think Chris is such a great choreographer that he would have found a way to incorporate all the required elements and still achieve the Bolero efffect.