Australian figure skaters

ice coverage

Record Breaker

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think we're in with a shot! I can't imagine them giving Taipei City two championship events in one season, especially not when there's an opportunity to expand the sport. And Taipei City is the only bidder for JW.

I'm guessing Hisense Arena is the most likely venue. A 10,000 minimum capacity is required for an ISU Championship event, and Hisense Arena hosts Disney on Ice and has also had ice hockey played there in the past. Presumably official practices could also be held at the O'Brien Group Arena, since the tram that stops outside Hisense goes right down to that rink (takes about 20-30 minutes). Hisense is also in with the Rod Laver Arena and across from the MCG so it's right in there with excellent public transport facilities and not too far from the CBD and a lot of accommodation. I think it would work out very well.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think we're in with a shot! I can't imagine them giving Taipei City two championship events in one season, especially not when there's an opportunity to expand the sport. And Taipei City is the only bidder for JW.

I'm guessing Hisense Arena is the most likely venue. A 10,000 minimum capacity is required for an ISU Championship event, and Hisense Arena hosts Disney on Ice and has also had ice hockey played there in the past. Presumably official practices could also be held at the O'Brien Group Arena, since the tram that stops outside Hisense goes right down to that rink (takes about 20-30 minutes). Hisense is also in with the Rod Laver Arena and across from the MCG so it's right in there with excellent public transport facilities and not too far from the CBD and a lot of accommodation. I think it would work out very well.

O'Brien Arena would be both the main arena and the practice arena, per the bids summary newly published by the ISU.
O'Brien seating is listed as 2000.

(See p. 2 of the bids summary for the list of four hotels that potentially would be used.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
O'Brien Arena would be both the main arena and the practice arena, per the bids summary newly published by the ISU.

(See p. 2 of the bids summary for the list of four hotels that potentially would be used.)

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I would not like to be in the O'Brien Group Arena with 2000 other people. Just saying.

That'll be one you'll have to be right on top of for tickets, because if Hanyu is still competing by then those will have sold out in minutes.

iskate

On the Ice

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I would not like to be in the O'Brien Group Arena with 2000 other people. Just saying.

That'll be one you'll have to be right on top of for tickets, because if Hanyu is still competing by then those will have sold out in minutes.

Where on earth did they get the idea that there is seating for 2000 people at OBGA? I skate and work there, and we definitely don't have that capacity. As far as I know, the grandstands seat 1000 people (possibly 1500?). We have had approx. 1500-2000 spectators (again, MAAAYBE up to 2500...but I don't think so) for big hockey games, but a pretty large portion of those people would not have been seated (we have designated 'standing room' in addition to seating). It would be a better idea to hold the event at one of the bigger Arenas in Melbourne (Disney on Ice is usually held at Hisense, AFAIK).

I definitely wouldn't want to be in the O'Brien Group Arena with 2000 people either. Hockey finals are always hectic and crowded... Although, perhaps they would require a staff member to act as Hanyu's personal assistant during the competition? Hehe :love:

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Australia has a new junior pair with a lot of potential. (They have been training together since this time last year.)

They are following the successful model of pairing a Russian girl with an Australian man, with the same coaching team that Alexandrovskaya & Windsor had when they started out, too.

They skated what would appear to be a solid short program at a local national competition today in Melbourne.

This is the pdf sheet of their scores for anyone interested.

http://results.iceskatingvictoria.org.au/live/JuniorPairs_SP_Scores.pdf

GF2445

Record Breaker
Australia has a new junior pair with a lot of potential. (They have been training together since this time last year.)

They are following the successful model of pairing a Russian girl with an Australian man, with the same coaching team that Alexandrovskaya & Windsor had when they started out, too.

They skated what would appear to be a solid short program at a local national competition today in Melbourne.

This is the pdf sheet of their scores for anyone interested.

http://results.iceskatingvictoria.org.au/live/JuniorPairs_SP_Scores.pdf

Yes. I remember I saw that Hektor was on ice partner search- and I thought hmm...this could be interesting.
This is exciting.

I mean, a triple twist and a throw triple.
The Pachins definitely have a plan and formula and its so exciting to see them be able to go ahead with it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here - click on the Crystal Challenge link at the top of the list and it will open up the IJS results.

http://iceskatingvictoria.org.au/events/results/

Lucy Sori Yun won the Junior Ladies, Callum Bradshaw the Junior Men. In Seniors it was Yancey Chan (and it looks like Paris has gone back to singles now that Matthew has retired) and Jordan Dodds.

Must say it's been a while since I last saw him skate but I was surprised to see Hektor in Pairs - I didn't think he was tall enough. He must have grown some, it's been a while as I said.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Very pleased about the progress Matilda and William have made.
Their RD was really a pleasure to watch. You can tell that they are pushing themselves.
I thought they should've been ahead of the the 8th and 9th place teams in front of them- but they are less than 1 point apart so I am fine with that.

They had some nice choreographic moments (some tango flair), improved speed and unison.
Their program also was very well constructed and packaged- and it felt more like a tango program than a series of element accompanied to music, becaused they picked features and nuances in the music to bring out.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Ted praising Darian's tight air position is making me so happy.
Great job in climbing the standings.

Good work from Amelia too. Really nice spins.
Bit worried about her 3S through- bending very forward on her takeoff.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Good work from Amelia too. Really nice spins.
Bit worried about her 3S through- bending very forward on her takeoff.

I don't know if it is a reflection of the revised IJS for this season or not, but Amelia Jackson was penalised somewhat by the judges in TES at the ISU JGP - Cup Of Austria. Her scores were far lower than last year.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not a bad weekend's work for Team Australia.

Kailani was 4th and her programs are excellent. Brooklee had some hiccups in her FS but it's a great program for her and I'm sure we'll see it clean at some point - as always, the Nationals showdown promises to be delicious!

Jordan clearly got eaten by altitude in SLC and then looked still a bit affected or tired in Canada; I think the FS is a good one for him though. Andrew's FS in Canada was outstanding, even with minor jump errors.

A shame we couldn't see Brendan, I hope he's not hurt.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Urgh. Brooklee Han seems to be really struggling with her jumps so far this season.

Both at the Autumn Classic, and now, at the Nebelhorn Trophy. It must be a tremendous challenge juggling training with her university studies. Doing back to back competitions can't help, either.