Australian figure skaters | Page 69 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Logically speaking I would assume it was Brendan. He's the only one of our skaters to have a quad under IJS and a reliable triple Axel, and scores in general have gone up in recent years.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
COC on. I can't for the life of me identify the commentator. He sounds Australian but I've no idea who he is!

EDIT:

Oh my, he's painful. He misidentified a quad toe as a triple Lutz and then he said Javier had "wrapped up" the competition after the SP. :palmf:

EDIT2:

He got better and is not too bad. Very quiet during the program which I do like but is not particularly helpful for broadcasting into a nation of skating noobs.

Last edited:

Ekm

On the Ice
Surely it would be Brooklee

According to the ISU personal best list Brooklee has the highest overall senior score, but I suspect (though I haven't confirmed) that Kailani's junior score is higher, her ISU PBS is from a jr GP and is only a few points lower than Brooklee's pb.

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
You can't compare junior and senior scores really because in Junior you have to do 2 compulsory jumps. So in senior you can possibly perform your more suited jumps which should be more positive for scores I would think. I'm not sure if they take this into account when working out rankings. Would be interested if anyone can clarify

brookes1968

Rinkside
Interestingly Brooklee is ranked 36th and Kailani 59th in ISU world standings.

Kraines highest overall senior score is 142.16 at 4CC in 2015. Brooklee's is 151.90 achieved at Nebelhorn in 2015.

Kailani's best junior score is 147.25 at the JGP in Spain in 2015. Brooklees I suspect was when she won Volvo in 2013 with 151.76

Brooklee is still ranked higher in Australia than Kailani although rankings have still not been updated since nationals.

Results of Poland will be interesting but I suspect Kailani will go to junior worlds and Brooklee to senior again. Thats the way it should be unless Kraine blows it out of the water. Not sure why there was any debate last year as Han is still consistently ahead internationally which says something about nationals scoring!

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
According to the ISU personal best list Brooklee has the highest overall senior score, but I suspect (though I haven't confirmed) that Kailani's junior score is higher, her ISU PBS is from a jr GP and is only a few points lower than Brooklee's pb.

Doesn't seem to be that way and Brooklees junior scores were much better at that age

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not sure why there was any debate last year as Han is still consistently ahead internationally which says something about nationals scoring!

Doesn't really say anything about Nationals scoring since Brooklee fell multiple times at Nationals and Kailani was practically perfect.

As to the year before, the margin was miniscule, and the actual skates themselves were at the point where I was sitting with someone else and we were looking at each other going, "How do you split them?"

But thankyou for the numbers. We will really have to see how Poland goes and perhaps also 4CCs.

In other Poland-related news, no Dodds bags appear to have been lost this time (thankfully), and also the Senior Men's entry list keeps changing, but Brendan appears to have vanished off it. Now, people have been disappearing and reappearing on that list the last couple of days - Rhigini's name went away and came back - so I'm still not certain if this means for sure that Brendan won't be in Poland.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Surely results at a Challenger would mean more than at a standard ISU comp or would they take average of top two ISU results

I don't know how they'll do it. The Challenger events earn higher ranking points with the ISU and prize money than general Senior Bs, as I understand it, but the Challenger series is over, and all the ISA has to go on from now on will be this Senior B in Poland and Four Continents in Taipei.

I am sure something is laid in place in terms of how they will rank results. Personally, if Brooklee gets her feet back under her - and I see no reason why she shouldn't - I would still send Kailani to Junior Worlds and Brooklee to Senior Worlds. IIRC Kailani is the only lady with the score for Junior Worlds, and it would be a tight turnaround between Junior and Senior Worlds, and on opposite sides of the world, too. It is much more sensible to split the assignments, so that each can prepare unhindered and unfettered.

Ekm

On the Ice
Doesn't seem to be that way and Brooklees junior scores were much better at that age

I was just working off the ISU PB list, and scores from jr worlds which were much lower than Kalaini's PB. I didn't have access to scores from other internationals, which is why I said it was unconfirmed. Though their PB's are about 5 points apart, so while Brooklee might have better JR scores they can't be too much better (as they couldn't be higher than her own PB or that would be her listed score).

ETA- I wasn't comparing them, someone asked who had the highest scores for jr and srs. And I was definitely not suggesting jr and sr scores should be counted equally, just trying to provide some info from what I had quickly at hand.

Thanks for providing the info on Brooklee's JR pb, interesting that her jr and sr are so close.

Last edited:

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Interestingly Brooklee is ranked 36th and Kailani 59th in ISU world standings.

Kraines highest overall senior score is 142.16 at 4CC in 2015. Brooklee's is 151.90 achieved at Nebelhorn in 2015.

Kailani's best junior score is 147.25 at the JGP in Spain in 2015. Brooklees I suspect was when she won Volvo in 2013 with 151.76

Brooklee is still ranked higher in Australia than Kailani although rankings have still not been updated since nationals.

Results of Poland will be interesting but I suspect Kailani will go to junior worlds and Brooklee to senior again. Thats the way it should be unless Kraine blows it out of the water. Not sure why there was any debate last year as Han is still consistently ahead internationally which says something about nationals scoring!

These are correct

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Interesting at Australian nationals level 4 steps in abundance. Not so in Poland and scores significantly lower. Disappointing for Brooklee. Wonder if any junior skaters going to FMBA who may get world scores ?

GF2445

Record Breaker
I really dont know why Brooklee has been underperforming.
Spinwondering if she is still fighting injury or recovering from it. She seems really timid.

Baxel

Rinkside
I really dont know why Brooklee has been underperforming.
Spinwondering if she is still fighting injury or recovering from it. She seems really timid.

She did have a compression bandage over her right knee. It was visible in the kiss and cry after she skated.