Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Will Mirai Appeal Decision for Olympic Team?

tulosai

Record Breaker
If this had been some one else, say Agnes who many of you hate, would you care? Or do you care just because it is your favorite?

I actually don't mind Mirai is being left off the team in favor of Ashley (though I'd rather Polina had been bumped and think Mirai did outperform Polina and should have been 2nd). Ashley has earned her spot, just not at Nationals. However, I support her decision to appeal. These are two different things.

I am also VERY vexed that Mirai is off the world team too, but this is yet a third issue. I think you're confusing all of them and assuming everyone who is posting thinks the decision that Mirai is off the team is unfair. I don't think that. I can support her reight to appeal and be upset just the same.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Well, if Ashley were anywhere near the form she had when she won her GP events, she would not have ranked even lower than Mirai at Nationals, no?

Why in the world would Mirai incur legal expenses for a case certain to lose?

You have been on about Ashley deserving it for a while without any real reason why.
Why would she certainly lose? If you use your brain a bit, US Federation will not allow the backdoor dealing see the light. They will settle. Mirai will win.

Scout

Final Flight
Maybe, but if Ashley would have great sportsmanship, she would have accept that she was defeat (4th place) and decline the spot for the Olympic and saying that she doesn't deserve it and that she accept that the top 3 skaters who have earn it fair and square gets their spot!

She didn't do this, so I have the right to think that she have bad sportsmanship.

I don't think that is the right thing to do. It would be pretty insulting to the selection committee.

I also don't agree that the top 3 skaters get the spots, and that it is the only outcome that is "fair and square". It is only fair if those are the rules; and they aren't the rules. They are rules you are making up. I agree that the committee has set a precedence for picking the podium winners; but it is also clear that Nationals is NOT the only criteria. Skaters are very aware that a top 3 (or top 2) finish doesn't guarantee them a spot. Nathan said it himself; he was aware that his and Felicia's second place finish did not mean they automatically get a ticket to Sochi.

Ashley does deserve the spot. There is a reason why people considered her and Gracie to be the top 2 contenders for the Olympics spots, and why everyone was talking about the battle for bronze. Ashley beat Mirai at last year's Nationals (and the Nationals before that), she did very well at Worlds, she did better in Mirai in her two GP assignments and won bronze at GPF. She also did better than Mirai in last year's GP Series. That's consistency. Over the last two years, Ashley has consistently pulled better results than Mirai. Yes, Mirai got fourth at the Olympics. That was four years ago. The longer ago the event, the less relevant it is. There have been a lot of UR's and poor results since then.

luckykid

On the Ice
Couldn't agree more with Phil on this: "Was there a formal vote? If so, what was the tally? We apparently will never know, as USFS officials were as vague about such procedures as they were in creating selection rules that allowed body of work over the past year to carry a significant but nonspecific amount of weight." That's right, USFS, we want to know which accomplishments were weighted what. So why don't you tell us?
For all that's been criticised about the JSF's criteria and their decision to choose Takahashi, at least they came out in the open to say that it was a unanimous decision by the committee, and that it was his GP performance and his potential that made them choose him.
Maybe USFS will explain their decision soon.

Kissx3

Final Flight
I don't really get the denigration of Ashley's season. I know everyone loves Mirai the person and Ashley is something of an unlikeable ice queen but she's had a spectacular season, medalling every time out (before, yes, getting destroyed at nationals). On that point, I really think that's all that should be considered, the current season. I know skating has always taken past rep, especially major championship placings, into consideration but flat out, what you did in a competition a year+ ago should be irrelevant in sport.

cheerio2

On the Ice
Mirai got beat by two skaters, Ashley three. Neither were great here. However, Ashley has been stellar for a few years now relative to Mirai.

Mirai, who had only 1 technical error in the FP, was great in comparison to Ashley, who had 4. And more importantly, the difference between places 3 and 4 is huge when there are only 3 Olympic spots. And I don't agree that Ashley has been stellar relative to Mirai the past few years. Ashley's won a few GP events, but Mirai has also medaled at a few. Neither has medaled at Worlds. That's not a big enough difference to justify overriding the Olympic trials results. And if Mirai had been as supported and hyped by USFSA as America's skating queen like Ashley has, she certainly would have done better internationally. It becomes circular reasoning because how your skating federation treats you affects your international results.

Becki

Medalist
Mirai should appeal for the World's Team...what kind of double standard is the US Federation using?! Naming Max and the Pair's team (both third in nationals) to World's, but leaving Mirai off... =S If they are going to apply this rule, apply it to all disciplines, not just two.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Well, it looks like she's not appealing anymore. A very classy statement as well.

Really sad she can't go to Worlds in Japan...

mikeko666

Final Flight
mirai should appeal for the world's team...what kind of double standard is the us federation using?! Naming max and the pair's team (both third in nationals) to world's, but leaving mirai off... =s if they are going to apply this rule, apply it to all disciplines, not just two.

ita.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well, it looks like she's not appealing anymore. A very classy statement as well.

I actually now think she never was to begin with and that Johnny Weir aired a private conversation she had with him in frustration both prematurely and inappropriately (on his part not on hers). I am starting to think it went something like "And I feel so mad, I really want to appeal. I started writing a letter-" and as someone else said earlier... well, I'd have written some letters too. Not the same as sending them.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada

Well, she is first alternate. Not that unlikely that one of the three other women will drop out.

aviva_dawn

On the Ice
Anyone have a link to Mirai's statement?

And shame on Johnny for even saying such a thing, if it was something (or not) that Mirai said in confidence.