Mikki Ando | Golden Skate

Mikki Ando

Vicky458

On the Ice
I am confused. I thought that Miki Ando was skating at Senior World Championships since she is Japan's Senior Ladies Champion. Can she skate both Junior and Senior Worlds? Does anyone know how it works? Or am I wrong about her being Japan's Senior Ladies Champion?

Kenji

Rinkside
Miki is Japan's Senior and Junior Ladies Champion of this season. She skates both Junior and Senior Worlds.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
One can skate both Senior and Junior in the same year. Tara did it in 96. Kostner did it last year. Lots of skaters do it.

Personaly, I think it's odd. In my book, either you're one of the other. Where it really gets weird is in Juniors, where you have 13 year olds competing against 19 year olds. How is that fair?

blurrysarah

On the Ice
Miki seems to have been competing very well in Senior events in Japan. I think she's well above the Junior level, I don't know why she'd bother with Junior events any more.
Her ISU bio says she won her nationals championships in the Senior division.
That means she's beaten the top senior ladies in Japan, which is one strong field.
That makes me question sending her to Junior worlds even more! :confused:

Last edited:

Tawnee

Spectator
With all the other Japanese ladies at the senior level she would not of had much of a chance to compete at the senior world level this year. By skating juniors, she was able to skate in and win the following:

JGP Mexico Cup
JGP SBC Cup
JGP Final
Junior Worlds

Which I think is good experience for her. She gets experience traveling, competing and winning. She has won events at the junior level before but I think a year of winning everything you enter can't hurt.

ouridol

On the Ice
I think this season was a good one that she had under her belt. Miki is extremely talented and I'm glad shell be solely concentrating on the sr. circuit next yr. Kick some butt at Worlds!!:D

Fossi

Final Flight
She is amazing! I hope she becomes the first female to land a quad at a senior Worlds. She has so much talent that she could pull the win off. Imagine how awesome that would be!

Nadine

Record Breaker
:love:CONGRATULATIONS, MIKI ANDO, ON WINNING JR. WORLDS!!! (not to mention completing your collection of Jr. World Medals ~ bronze in 2002 @ age 14, silver in 2003 @ age 15, and gold in 2004 @ age 16 1/4):love:

Miki has been a favorite of mine since I first saw her skate at 2002 Jr. Worlds to Swan Lake. And since that time I have tracked her progress & kept stats on each competition she has entered......she' gone undefeated in ALL Junior Grand Prixs since she hit the scene in 2001......but this year was thee absolute best b/c she finally topped it all off by winning Jr. Worlds for the first time ever! YES! :)^)

The following are some stats that I'd like to share with those that may be unfamiliar with Miki:

MIKI ANDO (Japan, 12/18/87, 5'3"; aka The Quad Queen)

2001/2002 Season - 1st @ Czech Republic JGP, Sweden JGP, JGPF, Jr. Nationals. And 3rd @ Sr. Nationals debut & Jr. Worlds debut.
2002/2003 Season - 1st @ Canada JGP, China JGP, Jr. Nationals. And 3rd @ JGPF, 5th @ Sr. Nationals, 2nd @ Jr. Worlds.
2003/2004 Season - 1st @ Mexico JGP, Japan JGP, JGPF, Jr. Nationals, Sr. Nationals, Jr. Worlds! ***Note: first time went undefeated in ALL competitions she entered, not just JGPs, but JGPF, Sr. Nationals & Jr. Worlds as well.***:eek:

Miki is fairly consistent as well ~ regularly lands @ least 5 triples (not to mention the 3Z/3R & 4S) ~ and has even landed 7 triples twice thus far in her career, including the 3Z/3R, during both of her JGP events in 2002. Likewise, has landed the 4S four times, though one of those times she had a few hops afterward (still landed clean on 1foot).

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. As to why Miki hasn't become a Sr. yet on the international scene - too young previously (need to turn 15 by July 1st of the previous year to compete @ Sr. Worlds, which she will finally be eligible for this year) - and also JSF needs to give those above her (not only in age but experience as well) first priority (e.g. 17 yr. old Yukina Ota whom competed in the Sr. Grand Prix for the first time ever this past season; not to mention the much older veterans Suguri, Arakawa, & Onda). JMHO. :)

:love:WILL BE CHEERING YOU ON, MIKI, AT YOUR DEBUT @ SR. WORLDS AT THE END OF THE MONTH!!! (not to mention your upcoming debut on the Sr. Grand Prix in the Fall):love: