2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate

PftJump

On the Ice
Worst Olympic men's FS event ever.

But, Congrats to all medalists.

Maybe Yuzuru and Ten will be a National hero. :)

Good for them!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
9th. I've never seen anybody so happy for 9th. :) Well, this is something for Jason to build on. Have we confirmed he'll go instead of Abbott to Worlds? (RE: Abbott today: Hate to say it, but if he'd been in contention he probably wouldn't have skated as well.)

And yes, altho' I wasn't following FS at the time, this does remind me of 92 Ladies.

YES!

I think he probably expected to score lower. Top 10 was probably his goal at this competition, so he reached it, I'm guessing.

Abbott has said that he will retire from competition after the Olympics.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Brown's so excited regardless of the result. What a great sport! :agree:

He's like "Don't care, still in top 10 at my first Olympics!"

Whoa. Brezina and Verner flipflopped the 12th and 13th in the SP/FS and finished less than a point apart...in 10th and 11th.

The standings going crazy seems more like a lower level regional competition in the US, wow.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Well that wasn't Jason's best performance, but he's going to Worlds, so he still has one more chance to put in a season's (personal) best performance!

I'm thrilled for "Tennis!" First bronze for Kazakhstan! I am never underestimating D10 EVER AGAIN.

I think Max Aaron is going to worlds instead of Jason, but I disagree and think they should send only Jason and Max.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Could someone who knows, please explain the problem with Jason's last spin. I didn't see a problem. Did he do something different than he has done all year?

onodian

Rinkside
What's ridiculous to me as a non-skating fan, is that Hanyu would do the 4S, even though everyone was counting on him to fall on it, as he apparently has all season. Evidently this CoP has issues with overrewarding difficulty. Which is why the event is such a splatfest. If you can't do it when the pressure is on, then you shouldn't be trying it. That's what "regular" audience understands, and I have to say, I kind of agree (and I say this as a gymnastics fan, where we too have this sort of problem).

Ophelia

Record Breaker
My friend just said - "Hanyu left the door wide open for Patrick, and Patrick stepped into it, then somehow tripped on his feet and fell out."

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Eh Albertville for the women was the same. The tech content goes way up and it takes a full Olympic cycle for it to take hold. We just had our full Olympic cycle, so now 2018 should be something extra fierce.

In what way did the tech content go way up? Because they've been doing quads for years. Is it because they're trying 2 or 3 quads, or because they have to do so many more transitions?

Anyway, it was not good. I agree with the judge's placements (unfortunately, I missed the beginning of Dennis Ten, but what I saw was good), but that was one of the worst competitions I have ever seen. Hope 2018 is better and you're right.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Max Aaron is going to worlds instead of Jason, but I disagree and think they should send only Jason and Max.

Jeremy confirmed he was retiring after the Olympics. Jason is first alternate, so he and Max will go.

Plisskin

Medalist
Kinda sucks how instead of showing the medal ceremony, they show Johnny and Tara yapping about the competition...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

They named Max to the team with Jason as first alternate as a formality; the reasoning being that Jeremy would quit after Olys and Jason/Max would be the team. They HAD to name Jeremy because he was National Champ.

Could someone who knows, please explain the problem with Jason's last spin. I didn't see a problem. Did he do something different than he has done all year?

Wait, there was a problem with the last spin? It's the exact same one he's been doing all year!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
My friend just said - "Hanyu left the door wide open for Patrick, and Patrick stepped into it, then somehow tripped on his feet and fell out."

Indeed. So brutal with the 2A and even the final crossfoot. You can tell he had the biggest pressure in the world going into that 2A. You could even see on the 3L and 3F that he was breaking down to the pressure. :disapp:

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

I think his waxel'D attempt counted as 1 of 13 elements and made his final spin an illegal element.

EDIT: Nope, his 3Lo was made into an illegal element after the impromptu 2A.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Added up the elements that showed up and only got 63.59. it's missing 4.5 which seems about right for a spin. I think they just didn't program enough rows.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Jeremy confirmed he was retiring after the Olympics. Jason is first alternate, so he and Max will go.

I read that he said he hadn't talked to his coaches about Worlds yet. I'm guessing you're right and Jason goes, but I don't think it's official, or even presumed to be for sure as yet.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So looking at the protocals on the Sochi...did not count Jason's last spin either? That is what it looks like. Ugh...