2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Olympic

On the Ice
Back OT - I think I've read on different forums that Akiko is battling injuries. It may explain her subpar performances at Sochi, but will she be ready for Worlds? No doubt she wants to compete, but can she? Besides Yu Na, I think all the other top ladies will be at Worlds

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Participants must be named before Monday 20.00 local time, which is 12.00 Central European Time and early morning in America.

So I guess the entries are up on Tuesday.

Here's the latest article I found on Davis & White. As of a couple days ago they still had not decided. I guess the suspense will finally be over on Monday/Tuesday when we find out what D&W and V&M are doing! And I imagine that the alternates for these skaters will be glad to know whether they are replacing them or not!

----

Davis, White yet to make decision on worlds

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/davis-white-yet-decision-worlds-220452215--spt.html

slider11

Medalist
Anyone know when skaters have to commit to worlds? Is there a drop-dead date for entries and changes only then for injury?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Anyone know when skaters have to commit to worlds? Is there a drop-dead date for entries and changes only then for injury?

Per the ISU rules and regulations:

Each Member may enter for each discipline one substitute in the case of
one entry and no more than two substitutes in the case of two or more
entries. The substitutes may compete only if their Members have
withdrawn the name of their Competitors initially entered for the
concerned discipline at least one hour before the first draw begins.

The deadline to submit entries is March 3 (Monday). The first draw is likely sometime on Monday, March 24, when the first team leaders meeting is held.

So Davis and White have some time to decide whether they will participate or not.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Well, hopefully Davis & White, along with other skaters, will give more than last-minute notice. I would imagine Hubbell & Donohue and many other skaters waiting to find out if they are going to Worlds would like to know how to plan this month. It's only about 3 weeks from today when skaters will presumably be leaving for Japan to allow for travel time, jet lag, opening, practices, etc.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, hopefully Davis & White, along with other skaters, will give more than last-minute notice. I would imagine Hubbell & Donohue and many other skaters waiting to find out if they are going to Worlds would like to know how to plan this month. It's only about 3 weeks from today when skaters will presumably be leaving for Japan to allow for travel time, jet lag, opening, practices, etc.

Is it not possible that by Monday, Davis/White will give an indication to USFS in confidence of their likely (but not 100% binding) decision? Or maybe they even have done so already.

And that USFS in turn will notify Hubbell/Donohue in confidence of what to expect ... without guaranteeing what D/W ultimately will do?

Even if D/W are not completely sure of their own intentions, I think that privately they would do what they can to prevent Hubbell/Donohue from being caught off guard.

anyanka

Record Breaker
If D/W don't appear on the entry list, then we'll know the rumors of them competing on DWTS will likely be true and be "in the know" before the network announces the full cast. ;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If D/W don't appear on the entry list, then we'll know the rumors of them competing on DWTS will likely be true and be "in the know" before the network announces the full cast. ;)

they could appear and then withdraw - usa will have two alternates probably named

Kalina

On the Ice
Nam Nguyen wrote on Instagram a couple of days ago that he's going to Worlds. I guess this means that one of the Canadian men is out, but who? Is it Patrick? :confused:

blancanieves

On the Ice
Is it not possible that by Monday, Davis/White will give an indication to USFS in confidence of their likely (but not 100% binding) decision? Or maybe they even have done so already.

And that USFS in turn will notify Hubbell/Donohue in confidence of what to expect ... without guaranteeing what D/W ultimately will do?

Even if D/W are not completely sure of their own intentions, I think that privately they would do what they can to prevent Hubbell/Donohue from being caught off guard.

I'm willing to bet that by now all interested parties know what is going to happen. Making that information public will be a whole other 'dance.'

noskates

Record Breaker
DWTS announces their cast on Tuesday morning on Good Morning America or the Today Show - can't remember which. I find it a stretch to think Davis and White will be in the cast. I actually would prefer they go for one more World title. I also imagine that the USFSA already knows who is going and who isn't and the skaters just haven't made it public yet.

slider11

Medalist
I hope, too, that Davis and White do not compete in DWTS, at least for the next round. They have committed to Stars on Ice starting in April-May. so a DWTS commitment would be pretty tough to balance. I know Evan did it but I think there were only select dates he skated in Stars on Ice. D/W are one of the SOI headliners and scheduled for all dates. I'm hoping they do skate in Worlds and then commit to a "break" from competitive skating, maybe not a full retirement. This allows them the SOI gig and any thing else that comes up in the following months including next season's DTWS (if it's still around). Plus it also allows them to recommit to finishing their college education which I think is pretty important to both of them. I think all the competitors know right now what they are going to do with Worlds. But they are working with their federation and agents to be sure it's announced at the appropriate time. With D/W, I'm thinking the announcement will come Mon or Tues. I don't see them as playing the last minute game.

noskates

Record Breaker
Slider - agree with your whole post!

I think the RUMOR about DWTS started with an innocent question to D&W and then was propagated on this board....

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nam Nguyen wrote on Instagram a couple of days ago that he's going to Worlds. I guess this means that one of the Canadian men is out, but who? Is it Patrick? :confused:

I HOPE not unless he meant junior worlds - i hope we see Chan one more time. And really he may be excited if he is going to worlds but shouldn`t he wait until it is announced.

jace93

On the Ice
I HOPE not unless he meant junior worlds - i hope we see Chan one more time. And really he may be excited if he is going to worlds but shouldn`t he wait until it is announced.

as someone said elsewhere on this forum(sorry I don't remember where I read it) if it's true he will probably take the place od liam firus since he doesn't have the minimum tes for world... and also if you were in his shoes, wouldn't you be way too excited to think straight ;)

LisaS

On the Ice
as someone said elsewhere on this forum(sorry I don't remember where I read it) if it's true he will probably take the place od liam firus since he doesn't have the minimum tes for world... and also if you were in his shoes, wouldn't you be way too excited to think straight ;)

But Nam was 5th at Canadians, Balde was 4th, so I would think both Patrick and Liam won't be at Worlds.

Kalina

On the Ice

No, he specifically mentions it (here).
And yes, he probably wasn't supposed to say it until it is announced officially.