2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Short Program

anyanka

Record Breaker
I finally know who Lipnitskaya reminds me of! She reminds me of Clove from The Hunger Games (movie version only)! Tough, rarely smiles, deadly, and will go far in the competition.

^ nailed it

Also, does anyone else think Tatiana Volosozhar looks like Angela from the US version of "The Office"?

jaylee

Medalist
Kim's jumps this season are not as impressive as they used to be, though. She's had a fair amount of 'heavy' jump landings with snow sprayed this season.

Her jumps here in Sochi look way better than at Korean Nationals and Golden Spin. Her combo especially looks great. I think she was still getting into peak shape then and recovering her condition after her injury. Now she is in peak condition.

Her jumps here in Sochi look way better than at Korean Nationals and Golden Spin. Her combo especially looks great. I think she was still getting into peak shape then and recovering her condition after her injury. Now she is in peak condition.

Thanks for the info. I really hope she's going to peak here. I don't think my fragile constitution would survive Lip's gold after all we've had already. ;)

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'm curious to see how Sotnikova performs. I kinda forgot she's also in these games, and with the focus so much on Yulia, how is her preparation going?

miki88

Medalist
The way I see it, it's not a good jump technique. And the judges should be taking -1 off whatever GOE they establish for cheats less than 1/4.

But I guess at these OWG, there's also Lipnitskaia's quite small jumps and unclear take-off edges to pick at. ;)

Harsh. I think the 1/4 leeway is there for a reason. In high pressure competitions, many skaters are prone to underrotations, some are due to nerves rather than technique issues. It's up to the discretion of the judges regarding the GOEs. After all, they can only judge what they perceive on the ice and in only a short span of time. There's no way that they have time to nitpick rotations on every single jump. I actually take more offense with ugly spin/spiral positions that I see from a lot of the other ladies, which personally I believe deserve -GOE, because they are more obvious and mars the overall performances. Though I am not a fan of Julia's super bendy spins either.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I'm curious to see how Sotnikova performs. I kinda forgot she's also in these games, and with the focus so much on Yulia, how is her preparation going?

All this media attention to Julia might be a blessing in disguise for Adelina. I hope she used this to train peacefully and quietly without distraction and surprise us all. There mush be some kind of relief that the expectations are no longer a burden on her shoulders, she can relax a bit.

imisscohen

On the Ice
I think we know Gold is sewn up between Yuna and Yulia. I just hope there's a crazy OBM Hunger Games scenario a la the men's competition....except everyone hits in the finals.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I was thinking that very thing while I was marveling at the BBC's FULL coverage of FS (or at least relatively so). :)

NBC Prime Time is different than the daytime broadcasts which are shown live in full on NBCSN. It's more like a summary.

I thought the judges were suppose to be able to observe the practices.

Polina "telegraphs" her jumps more than I remembered.

Since that video's from a few days earlier, I imagine the judges will be able to observe official practices on Sochi ice. Whatever the nations do prior in terms of renting ice to practice is probably up to the team officials.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I thought the judges were suppose to be able to observe the practices.

They do observe all right; only their vertebrate imprisoned within the pre-programed cranium, filled with grayish agendas does not adequately regulate the sensory reception and accurately convert its interpretative information into numeric articulation lately.

mhu714

On the Ice
I think we know Gold is sewn up between Yuna and Yulia. I just hope there's a crazy OBM Hunger Games scenario a la the men's competition....except everyone hits in the finals.

I hope you're wrong but given the wildly high scores for Lip in the team event, it does seem like a good possibility. I'm hoping against hope the judges will be objective in the face of the huge reactions to everything Julia does. As always I truly want all the contenders to skate clean and let's see what happens.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC Prime Time is different than the daytime broadcasts which are shown live in full on NBCSN.

I requested both days off to watch both live and primetime.

To be honest I'm dreading all the hateful things about Yulia's skating people are going to say here but I'm sure I'll log in anyway and try to ignore it :slink: because I think we're in for a good show and people here find little things that I miss. Starting to have mixed feelings about the podium but really just want to see everyone do their best! Almost go time!!!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not too worried about Caro -- skating right after Julia, especially in SP, should highlight her skating skills and hopefully she would get comparably great GOEs (and I'm going to say team skate score is a fluke). I am a little worried about Mao and Yuna, though. I'm not sure about Mao's nerve after Adelina and skating last, and Yuna will likely be fine regardless, but she is skating early.

Caro should remember that she skated her way to a World silver medal while skating with a nose bleed through her entire LP and she managed her nerves well under such an extraordinarily difficult circumstance. If she could do that successfully, then skating after Yulia in the SP should be easier in comparison. I wish her only the best and a beautiful performance as lovely as she delivered during the team event. Hopefully, the judges will reward her better than they did in the team event with a clean skate. :love:

Krislite

Medalist
Mao skates last. She has a golden opportunity to really lead the short program if she can hold it together.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wonder if it is possible to keep yourself from knowing the scores of those before you. Probably not, because at least the scores/place of the skater before you is announced when you are on the ice.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if it is possible to keep yourself from knowing the scores of those before you. Probably not, because at least the scores/place of the skater before you is announced when you are on the ice.

It would take enormous focus and pure tunnel vision I would think. Covering your ears and shouting la la la la la would help but I can't imagine anyone making themselves look so ridiculous ;p

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

Doesn't matter, I'd say. This time she doesn't have influence upon judges as she did in Vancouver; apparently the judges long abandoned her as her triple axels didn't keep up, and with Julia, what can she do to discourage the judge from showering Julia with a pile of points? Well, I hope and think that in this dejected sense, Asada could focus on her own strength as she skates the last. If she lands triple axel, at least not fall, she may be able to present herself in the lead.

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
I'm really exited of the ladies competition. First of all I hope, there will be tons of cleans skates. :agree:

I have my favorites as Adelina, Yuna and Carolina. I think Julia is good for the attention figure skating is getting in countries where figure skating isn't the most important sport as e.g. in Germany. A lot of my friends, who know I'm a fan of the sport have asked me about that adorable little girl in the red dress with the amazing spins who won the team competition. Will she be the next Olympic champion? I answered, I hope not. While watching the team event I think, that her PCS in comparison to Carolina Kostner were too enthusiastic. If you look at the spread in other competitions there was a bigger outcome. We will see tomorrow. The individual events where a bit differently judged as the team event.

There are a lot of other skaters in that competition I love, too: Gracie, Ashley, Mao, Akiko, Kanako and Zijun. I really wish them well and hope, they will skate their PB and get the well deserved scores for it. Naturally I'm hoping the all best for Nathalie Weinzierl. Perhaps there will be a skater who surprises us all as today the Spaniards in the FD who did a loveley routine although not in the top10 - at least not these OG.

Edit: P.S. I think Julia will finish on the podium. I just hope one of my favorites win.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Caro should remember that she skated her way to a World silver medal while skating with a nose bleed through her entire LP and she managed her nerves well under such an extraordinarily difficult circumstance.

Well, at least, if just before Caro skates, Michael Huth tells her "this is only for your own good" and then punches her in the face, we'll know why! ;) JK