2014 Olympics Mens Short Program | Page 73 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Short Program

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
A couple thoughts on a few of the guys:

ABBOTT - I was pretty sure he would have a rough skate, but had no idea how rough it would be. He looked freaked out in the K&C in the Team Event last week, so I got the sense that his mental demons would cause trouble for him. Like Emanuel Sandhu, this is a skater who has always had the potential to be on the World & Olympic podium, but whose mental fears have always prevented that from happening. But he can feel proud that he came back and was able to finish and hopefully he can end tomorrow skating the best he can for him.

JOUBERT - Glad to see Joubert finally have a good skate at the Olympics even though he won't be able to get to the podium. Like Abbott, this final Olympics is really about personal redemption for him and trying to go out on a positive note. Also interesting to see Joubert finish much higher ahead of Amodio - a reversal of their positions from French Nationals.

FIRUS - A shame he didn't qualify for the Long Program. He skated well at Canadians, and even managed to keep it close to Reynolds there. 4 years ago in Vancouver, Vaughn Chipeur was on the bubble and almost didn't qualify, but he just made it by a place or two. This time that didn't happen for Firus. I wonder if some people are now wondering whether it would have been better for Elijah Baldé to have been Canada's 3rd man?

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Yeah... I admired that he showed strength of character and mind at that moment, but I don't think he's the poster boy for perseverance or how to teach people to get up when they fall. A bit much. I think Janet Lynn takes the honor. He's always a mess in international competitions. It is sad because he does have the potential to be Olympic champ. Even that assessment caused major distress in him, while that kind of assessment and regard would have filled other people with joy and confidence. He never had the mental toughness necessary to be OGM. What about Stojko? Shen Xue? Joannie Rochette? People who skated through their physical and emotional pain.
I think this is a good take on Jeremy, I agree.
He will always have a lot of great moments and that gorgeous, effortless quad/triple at Nationals.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
What an amazing battle for bronze it is going to be!!! About 9 guys in contention - I can't wait! :)

I'm hoping Joubert has the skate of his life and wins the bronze! He's only half a point behind Brown, so they are basically tied.

But perhaps skating in the 2nd-last group will put it out of reach for Joubert, and anyone else not in the last group.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Yuzuru was so cool. Had just received a World Record and went on cheering like a fanboy for Javier in the KnC. That was great.

Yes, I also noticed this.

I feel sorry that I didn't see Orser's reaction at Yuzuru's score. The "SO CLOSE!!!" reaction from the GPF was priceless.:laugh:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
At least Firus is only the third Canadian guy, so they probably expected more of Chipeur, being the second guy chosen over Sawyer and Reynolds. I can't help but wonder how Jeremy Ten would have done...

Well, I don't think Jeremy Ten is doing too well these days, either. He might have done better than Firus, but it's hard to say. Jeremy Ten finished in 6th at Nationals, so he was several spots off the podium, and then he finished 9th at 4 Continents. I think he's also been struggling with injury as well, and hinted on Twitter after 4CC'S that he might retire.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It's so funny to hear what is actually said. Like Liebers coach said "Can you just do that again? That was great" or Brian Orser pretty cool "Get some good scores, will you?" ;)

Yeah... I admired that he showed strength of character and mind at that moment, but I don't think he's the poster boy for perseverance or how to teach people to get up when they fall. A bit much. I think Janet Lynn takes the honor. He's always a mess in international competitions. It is sad because he does have the potential to be Olympic champ. Even that assessment caused major distress in him, while that kind of assessment and regard would have filled other people with joy and confidence. He never had the mental toughness necessary to be OGM. What about Stojko? Shen Xue? Joannie Rochette? People who skated through their physical and emotional pain.

Yes, except for yesterday, I don't think that Jeremy can claim to be the poster boy for perseverance. In fact, he's often the opposite, since he tends to give up after a fall or two, at least internationally. The skaters mentioned by several posters here--Janet Lynn, Elvis, Shen Xue, and so on are much more worthy to be praised for their grit and refusal to give up. But Jeremy certainly rose (literally) to the occasion during this short program.

adamlondon

On the Ice
Yes, except for yesterday, I don't think that Jeremy can claim to be the poster boy for perseverance. In fact, he's often the opposite, since he tends to give up after a fall or two, at least internationally. The skaters mentioned by several posters here--Janet Lynn, Elvis, Shen Xue, and so on are much more worthy to be praised for their grit and refusal to give up. But Jeremy certainly rose (literally) to the occasion during this short program.

Perseverance? I think he's a bit of a dramatic character- he moved out of the olympic village and to sort his head out but when it comes to the world stage always falters.
If you are of an extreme romantic nature you can say he had a great tumble and got up to complete the program etc but it all smells of attention seeking and not rising to the challenge. Anyway he's got people talking about his plight so it has worked

adamlondon

On the Ice
Did anyone hear Jeremy's short interview with Tracy Wilson. He came off sounding a bit arrogant. He said something along the lines of
" I may not be Olympic champion, but I showed the world what perseverance is" ( something like that, not verbatim)

C'mon Jeremy, you never stood a chance of being Olympic Champion!!!

God the hot air coming from him is so hot I can feel it just reading about it. WHat a martyr

samson

Medalist
This thread has hit 100 pages! Much like Yuzuru's score.

Also Patrick's artistry was a revelation. It's too bad he had issues with the axel, because his nuance and quality with music is unmatched. His skate and Hanyu's does make me wonder if we'll be seeing a Michelle/Tara type situation in Mens this year though.

adamlondon

On the Ice
This thread has hit 100 pages! Much like Yuzuru's score.

Also Patrick's artistry was a revelation. It's too bad he had issues with the axel, because his nuance and quality with music is unmatched. His skate and Hanyu's does make me wonder if we'll be seeing a Michelle/Tara type situation in Mens this year though.

Right there I think Patrick's component scores are well deserved. THe comparison with Michelle and Tara are quite true and in this case I think the Tara will win as Yuzu's jumps are just incredible and come so easily. I mean that quad and triple axel are probably the best I have seen. Esp the difficulty with the entry into the 3A

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I really think Kevin has potential if he got a new coach an choreographer an image consultant and learned to prject more on ice. Yes, I do have fun on these threads but his hair really stands out and not in a good way - we talk on these threads more about his hair than his skating. A stylist is required; I wonder if I should vounteer? I have done some work with some movie and tv types?

Kevin kind of struggles with the major ups and downs in consistency that Emmanuel Sandhu did, and that Jeremy Abbott does.

Last year Kevin won 4 Continents and finished 5th at Worlds. Now it will take work just to stay in the top 15 at the Olympics.

So you may be right that a re-think is in order.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
This thread has so many replies and views in so little time.

Is it setting a record for Goldenskate skating forum (mens) category)? :confused:

And the free program is the next.:popcorn:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kevin kind of struggles with the major ups and downs in consistency that Emmanuel Sandhu did, and that Jeremy Abbott does.

Last year Kevin won 4 Continents and finished 5th at Worlds. Now it will take work just to stay in the top 15 at the Olympics.

So you may be right that a re-think is in order.

A FS like the team even would put him above 245 which would certainly get him top 10 you'd have to imagine.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
My two cents' worth: Chan's skate was more impressive and much more pleasing to watch than Hanyu's, except for the triple axel. I thought his score would be a lot closer to Hanyu's.

I thought so too. It was ridiculous that Hanyu's SS were almost the same as Chan's when the latter has much more flow and deeper edges. That being said, Hanyu deserves a lead of around 2-3 points so 3.5 isn't much greater.

Normally I agree with Ziggy but I think his spins are a lot better than people give credit for. Great basic positions, huge air and lovely position on the flying sit, a true crossfoot spin, maybe his camel is slow but most men's are and at least his position is good. One thing Hanyu and Dai have though is they actually emote with their arms during the spins adding a greater level of musicality to them.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
A FS like the team even would put him above 245 which would certainly get him top 10 you'd have to imagine.

That's the irony about the Team Event for some of these skaters. It's giving many of them an opportunity to win an Olympic medal, but at the same time it is also creating a situation where some have left their best performance in the Team Event rather than having it in the Single Event.

Lunna

On the Ice
THIS x1000, and if our favourite user will say that "Russians love figure skating" once again I'll puke...Russians love figure skating skated only by Russian skaters and their behaviour, lack of respect, of true appreciation of artistry/innovation/greatness of the other nations skaters makes me angry and sad...
And you'll be wrong. I think there was a great atmosphere at Worlds in Moscow and many people visit Cup of Russia every year. It's just that Olympic's are too expensive (or you just can't buy tickets even if you want to) and too many people that are far from figure skating fans (like tv-stars, politics etc.) goes to this competition (this is a shame really).