Skating music you never want to hear again? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skating music you never want to hear again?

Layfan

Record Breaker
carmen carmen carmen
swan lake - any color swan
Ave Maria
anything tango'ish

These are my picks precisely. Unless you are Carolina, in which case, please never stop skating to Ave Maria. Everyone else looks boring doing it. And hardly anyone can pull of Swan Lake, even though they think they can. Actually, the Russian ice dancers were an absolute exception. If you can do it like that, go for it. It's a classic that never gets old. IF you can do it justice.

And I get really sad when someone chooses a tango.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Bolero
Carmen
Swan lake
R&J (this season I made an exception because Yuzuru)

VirMo

On the Ice
I don't know about you, but there are some pieces of music that I never want used in a figure skating program in competition ever again. What are your choices?
Mine are these:
anything from Swan Lake
habanera from Carmen (I think I heard it twice in two programs from two different skaters)
any awful arrangement of a rock song (I'm looking at you whoever composed that dreadful arrangement of Bohemian Rhapsody from someone's short program that I heard yesterday)!
I will be thankful that next season words are allowed in music… I always found it quite peculiar to listen to a rendition of a song without words.

All of Sotnikova's songs.... horrible..

can I say what I'd like to hear MORE of in skating programs? Baroque music! there is SO much music from that era (mid-late 1600's - 1750) that is stunningly gorgeous.

I adore the four seasons and could never get tired of it, but it's not the only masterpiece by Vivaldi! Why not use parts of the b minor concerto for 4 violins, or stanzas from his La Follia? Same with Bach - he wrote more and far better music than Air on a G string; why is that the only Bach piece skaters think of to use?

And there is so much by other Baroque composers - the dance music from Rameau's operas and the Passacaille d'Armide by Lully for example. :)

the only reasons I can think of why skaters don't use this music is maybe they don't know about it, or perhaps because it is more rhythmic than Romantic-era music (Chopin, Saint-Saens, Rachmaninoff, etc.), even during lilting legato melody-driven lines the sense of beat is always there in Baroque music, so you have to be more exact regarding timing.

There is a lot of Baroque music that probably wouldn't be suitable because it repeats too much and/or doesn't build to a crescendo at the end, but there are quite a few compositions from this era that don't present those problems and would make great skating music.

I agree. One beautifully used Baroque piece was by Lully,"Marche pour la ceremonie des Turcs," (sorry, I can't make accent marks on my home PC) skated by Bulgaria's Denkova and Staviskiy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doyxpzJDK5g

Here's the piece, beautifully rendered, from the movie Tous les matins du monde, starring Gerard Depardieu. (D/S use another piece in their dance as well, but I can't locate it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScyTHuKDCFc

Ven

Match Penalty
I hate boring peaceful background music. Hate trashy rock music.

Love something that will make me feel a range of emotions throughout the program.

moviechick

On the Ice
I'm completely Scheherazade'd out by this Olympics. Even the closing ceremony used it. I can't.

I'm also over Sleeping Beauty, unless someone wants to do the Lana Del Rey "gonna kill you in your sleep" version.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Am I the only one who likes the Nutcracker selections especially Pas De Duex. I've seen posts calling it pompous but when I was in a symphony playing cello they were always my favorite selections?

There's lots of good music in Nutcracker; you're right. I also love the "narrative" section in the first act where the magic starts happening and the Nutcracker battles the rat king. The wintry spell cast by that music is just fabulous, and I'm sure a program could be shaped from some excerpt of it.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
you are not alone, Sam-Skwantch :) I will never tire of the Nutcracker (I've always been partial to Tchaikovsky) and the Pas de Deux is simply the most beautiful piece of music ever written

There are some other great pieces by Tchaikovsky that are equally full of his melodic gift. One is the Serenade for Strings, a multi-movement work that has some great sections. The first section was used by Katia in Sergei's memorial concert, when at the end she skated with everyone else, dressed in white, and she wore that gorgeous traditional headdress.

A personal favorite of mine is the Suite number 3, especially the waltz movement (the second section, I think) and the final theme and variations movement. Here's the second section, which is in (I think) a polonaise rhythm, and if this doesn't get your heart going, you've sent your heart out to the laundry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwT4auYxtTw

Kinga

Medalist
My picks:
Gerwshiwn rhapsody in blue
Fever
Requiem for a dream
Les Mis
West Side Story
Marton violin arrangements.

Although I love Swan Lake and Carmen, I really do not want to see a program skated to it for at least 10 years. Pleazzze. The same with R&J

peg

Medalist
You know, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if it would even be a good idea to ban certain music for a specified period of time. Let's say they banned Carmen for four years. Can you imagine the number of Carmen programs we'd have the year it was allowed again??? Everyone who ever wanted to skate to Carmen in the previous four years would be using it. :laugh:

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Am I the only one who likes the Nutcracker selections especially Pas De Duex. I've seen posts calling it pompous but when I was in a symphony playing cello they were always my favorite selections?

No I love the Nutcracker.
The Snowflake Waltz is my favourite. It is not in the normal 3/4 tempo but in 2/2.

I like Sleeping Beauty. It hasn't been used nearly as much as Swan Lake.
Angela Nikodinov 2000/2001 Long Program was very good.

shellbell757

Rinkside
Malaguena
Carmen
The Feeling Begins
Firebird
Swan Lake
Paint It Black
Moonlight Sonata (maybe overused but I love it anyway)
Concerta for Coloratura
Sherezade