Who gets stressed during the olympics? I'm ready for Worlds thank god. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who gets stressed during the olympics? I'm ready for Worlds thank god.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always enjoyed the Worlds after Olympics, because a lot of people who didn't do their best at Olympics really try hard at Worlds for redemption or just to move up in general. 2002 Worlds had lots of great performances from the Men, Suguri's best performance ever, a solid dance competition, and a stunning FS from Pang/Tong in pairs. 2006 Worlds had a great competition in Men's and Dance and that amazing performance from Meissner in Women's. 2010 Worlds had Takahashi finally winning and lots of superb SP performances, Asada skating a clean competition, a phenomenal D/W FD, and S/S doing a glorious Out of Africa performance.

While I am sad that some of my favorites are retiring after these Olympics or after this whole season, I look forward to Worlds in an Olympic year. It is a chance for redemption, and giving the skaters (those who just competed in the Olympics, and those who didn't get the chance) a chance to shine, and showcase their talent.

bebevia

On the Ice
Well... Sotnikova will get the gold this year ("I wanna win all the gold!"), as medal contenders and many big names all retired. It'll be like a senior B... sorry, er, B+. I wish Gold could get gold, just to rhyme.

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
I'm also relieved I hope Mao, Ashley, Akiko and Jeremy all have great redemption this March. (Podium of Mao, Ashley and Akiko would be dream come true :) )

And the good thing is, it's all still a month away :p Taking a break now :)

I am also looking forward to worlds and hoping for redemptive skates. I'm *not* looking forward to the ppl saying that whether Jeremy does well "he shouldn't be there" or the USFSA should have a stern talk with him and convince to withdraw from his final competition in a sport he has dedicated his whole life to in order to let others skate and pass the torch.

I also love Ashley Wagner and I actually prefer her outspokenness to interview bots. So I guess that's two skaters I like who have been very unpopular on this board. Evs.

BTW, the TSL recap on the men's skate expressed exactly my frustration with the squandered natural ability in Jeremy (not to mention the squandered PR opportunity. But Dave and Jonathan, is it?, wanted Abbott to withdraw and Brown to skate. (Very interesting discussion on how U.S. tends not to nurture young talent and puts all their faith on the veterans, rightly or wrongly.) But as someone who is nearly twice as old as the oldest skater, I say let them have those final moments in the sun. Plenty of time for the younger one to develop.

SkateToronto

On the Ice
I always feel relieved once the Olympic Game Figure Skating Competitions are over. I know it is every four years but it seems as though there is better skating because the athletes are under a little less stress. Does anyone else feel this way.

I'm also looking forward to the Worlds.

It's only been two days and I'm scandaled-out. It will be nice to move past the Olympics.

emma

Record Breaker
I'm a little like Doris - I really look forward to the Olympics and feel it is just too much. I'm glad this one is over :)!

That said, I also agree with many of you that post-olympic worlds can be a real let down with the 'top tier' retirements or 'vacations'; but I also like seeing people repeat greatness, or do better than they did, and of course, to see new faces. I can't wait to see the rosters - does anyone know when we might get a sense of the participants?

I just wish we had a little more time before worlds commences to recuperate and catchup in work and so forth.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm not stressed exactly, I'm excited for the skaters and feel bad for the ones that don't skate their best, But I'm am very much looking forward to Worlds :) We're losing a lot of great skaters to retirement and this will be a great preview to how things may shake out over the next few years. And for those who didn't see medals for their faves, remember this: any given night.

skateluver

Rinkside
I am looking forward to the Worlds especially after these Olympics. The Japanese audience will be supportive. Also, Worlds often produces great performances as well, I can't forget Mirai Nagasu's short program in Torino 2010. THAT was a world class skate!!

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I look forward to Worlds after the Olympics because I'm curious to see who actually retires or stays home & gives others an opportunity to move up in the standings, even medal. You begin to have a sense of what may happen in the next 4 years.

Nater

Match Penalty
The Team event definitely made it a bit too much, IMO. There was just too... much... skating.

It felt like Speed Skating. It starts off interesting but then after the 100th race you just want to turn it off. That's the way I feel about Figure Skating right now, Lol.

I doubt I'll watch Worlds. In about a year or two my interest will probably peak again, on the run up to the next games.

I prefer to focus on Gymnastics, now.

The amount of vitriol that I've seen thrown by fans has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't know it was this bad until I registered here, Lol.

Nater

Match Penalty
I wonder if Sotnikova's scores will be pulled down to earth at Worlds.

Everyone's scores will be pulled down to earth, and those skaters that the judges dumped at the Olympics will get a boost. That's usually how worlds works at post-Olympics World Championships.

Slutskaya's SP went from being as low as 4th at the Olympics to being the best ever at Worlds. There are many instances of this happening.

Worlds before Olympics are usually quite strict. Olympics is filled with inflated scoring and PB/SB/WR/Whatever (placements matter more than taking the scores seriously at the Olympics). Worlds after the Olympics are a consolation prize to the skaters the judges feel deserve them.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Usually things are much more pleasant than this. Olympics brings out the worst in fans. I wish you would all be kinder with each other.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Usually things are much more pleasant than this. Olympics brings out the worst in fans. I wish you would all be kinder with each other.

I agree.

in 2002 Nagano Alexie Yagudin bettered both of his skates, Timothy Goebel followed up well winning silver. In the Ladies we had Irina Slutskaya. Michelle Kwan and Fumie Suguri all putting in Solid LP routines.

2006 Calgary : The dance competition with Marie-France and Patrice Somewhere in Time Routine was to die for.

Would anyone like to catch me up what happened in 2010?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In dance at the 2010 Worlds, Davis and White beat Virtue and Moir in the Free Dance, although they placed second overall. Faiella and Scali reprised their lovely Immigrants FD and won their only World Bronze.

In the absence of Shen & Zhao, Pang & Tong won their only gold medal.

In Ladies, Mirai Nagasu won the SP, and fell apart in the long. Mao Asada won, Yu Na Kim placed second, Laura Lepisto of FIN placed third.

Takahashi won the gold, Patrick Chan the silver, Brian Joubert the bronze. Jeremy Abbott had his best World finish, fifth.

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm looking forwards to Worlds and think it'll be much better event than the Olympics. Enthusiastic audience and Swan Song for most of the skaters from the last decade. This time it'll really be time to say Goodbye to S/S, Akiko, Mao and Daisuke. For me it'll be more emotional than the Olympics! I don't understand who'd want to miss this. Especially Mens - I expect a much better competition with less nerves, this time round.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
This upcoming worlds is very important since a lot of countries need to improve the # of spots they have. USA's youth development was stunted this past quad because they had to go so many season with only two spots in singles for Worlds.

BTW, Junior Worlds is first before Worlds :slink:

I'm actually looking more forward to it than senior worlds. You have a lot of differing styles, such as Jin's quads versus's Chen's skating skills.

millie

Medalist
This fiasco wii not be over by the time worlds start. This will continue into worlds and there will be repercussions from the judges for all the backlash of The Olympics. Mark my word.