World's Ladies Podium | Page 8 | Golden Skate

World's Ladies Podium

Antilopa

On the Ice
The French newspaper Le Figaro published an article about the Americans going in with the Russians to rig the Team competition for the Russians and the Ice Dancing Competition for the Americans at the expense of the Canadians.
Can I have a link plz? Le Figaro is very respectable newspaper..

zamboni step

Final Flight

I think they mean me. And they said "Shame also to reprint this filthy fiction." So I'm guessing they're mad at you for quoting it? :slink:

Usethis2, I have never seen anything nastier ! It doesn't require powerful brain to create this dirty text, but to define as a witch a girl who is working very hard for being able to earn money for treatment her sister, this is a shame. This is a shame also to reprint this filthy fiction.

It was a J-O-K-E. I LOVE Sotnikova and have defended her from trolls all the time, it's satyrical, about the excessive amount of hatred and disgust being thrown at a 17 year old girl who clearly isn't like that at all. The joke is that she's nothing like that. If anything my fanfiction is supposed to show how ridiculous the people attacking Adelina are!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they mean me. And they said "Shame also to reprint this filthy fiction." So I'm guessing they're mad at you for quoting it? :slink:

It was a J-O-K-E. I LOVE Sotnikova and have defended her from trolls all the time, it's satyrical, about the excessive amount of hatred and disgust being thrown at a 17 year old girl who clearly isn't like that at all. The joke is that she's nothing like that. If anything my fanfiction is supposed to show how ridiculous the people attacking Adelina are!

That is why I was cracking up. Purely out of respect for the lively exaggeration. You should do it again!!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
And here was me thinking that a thread titled "World's ladies podium"... was actually going to be about the ladies podium, at the world championships next week. Silly me.

Because in fact, it's yet another thread about the Olympics, conspiracy theories, etc etc.

Seriously, don't we have enough threads for that already? I see that the "Battle for bronze medals in pairs and ice dancing" topic has become the victim of a similar take-over...

zamboni step

Final Flight
And here was me thinking that a thread titled "World's ladies podium"... was actually going to be about the ladies podium, at the world championships next week. Silly me.

Because in fact, it's yet another thread about the Olympics, conspiracy theories, etc etc.

Seriously, don't we have enough threads for that already? I see that the "Battle for bronze medals in pairs and ice dancing" topic has become the victim of a similar take-over...

In fairness, my fanfiction was about why Sotnikova withdrew, which directly impacts the podium. ;)

That is why I was cracking up. Purely out of respect for the lively exaggeration. You should do it again!!

Maybe after Worlds when there's yet another case of skating fans with the minds of old biddies clutching their pearls and fainting at the site of someone who isn't classically beautiful in style like Carolina and Mao are, actually placing well. I actually want Julia to win silver to make up for her loss of an individual medal.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I agree. The cost of 3A is so huge that if Mao lands it that will be the first sign of her winning. In the FS, a botched 3A can be somewhat mitigated.
The GP proves she mainly needs to rotate the 3A and stand up (and land her other jumps). Even with a step-out or two foot she can still break 70. But as she's already landed the 3A cleanly twice this season I hope whatever mental block she had with 3A in competition is gone and she can give us a GPF 2013 style Nocturne.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm pulling for all the girls to skate well but on a sentimental level Mao has my utmost respect and support. I hope she gets her 3a's and leaves in peace. Is she doing two again or going for three like GPF? I'm so glad Worlds are coming up and hopefully wash away sone of the pain Sochi has brought. Not only for the skaters but for the sake of this board. I'm tired of seeing mean spirited posts tearing apart some of the best talent in the world in order to prove a few judges are morons!!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The French newspaper thing was ridiculous to begin with. The Russians certainly didn't need American help to win the team gold medal. They had strong contenders in all disciplines, and even Plushenko skated well. Neither did the American dance team D/W need Russian help to win the Dance OGM---they had won their last 10 competitions in a row, and were the reigning World Champions.

Olympic

On the Ice
IIRC, the French news article came as a tip from an unidentified Russian coach. Why would a Russian coach implicate his own Federation in a scheme like this and talk to a reporter before a competition? The whole thing sounded a little fishy to me. It either didn't happen, or this unidentified coach wanted to cause a problem between western Federations (i.e -US and Canada).

I do think Gracie's marks were a little high, but the wuz gifted Oscar goes to - Lipnitskaya! for her performance at Sochi (applause). Second place to Sotnikova.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Or the unidentified coach wanted to squeeze his own federation ...

Revealing a fake conspiracy can be used as a threat-

here's what I can do...if you don't comply with my demands, I will reveal the REAL conspiracy...

I have no clue what this anonymous coach wanted to achieve by his "revelations," but I do not doubt that he intended to affect the results of the Olympics in some way, to his own advantage.

Perhaps influencing which skaters were to be on Team Russia, and who thus were almost assured of a gold medal?

Mena719

Rinkside
The French newspaper thing was ridiculous to begin with. The Russians certainly didn't need American help to win the team gold medal. They had strong contenders in all disciplines, and even Plushenko skated well. Neither did the American dance team D/W need Russian help to win the Dance OGM---they had won their last 10 competitions in a row, and were the reigning World Champions.
Yes exactly, neither needed help to win and both country are to completive with each other to make deals for medals the where likely to get anyways.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think the French could sense well ahead of time that Natalie & Fabien would be screwed no matter how well they skated, so they prepared their excuse well in advance. As it turns out, they were atleast right on the first part.

cooper

Medalist
mao
kostner
julia

and i think there's a huge possibility that gold will spoil the podium..

hopefully akiko will skate the lights out just like in the japanese nationals for her last competition..

Olympic

On the Ice
mao
kostner
julia

and i think there's a huge possibility that gold will spoil the podium..

hopefully akiko will skate the lights out just like in the japanese nationals for her last competition..

This is my hunch about Worlds

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
I think if there's the usual quality of skating (I mean from the last several competitions):
Mao
Yulia
Carolina
Gracie
Akiko
Polina/Ashley

usethis2

Medalist
I find them incredibly thin-skinned and defensive to the extreme. It's understandable. ;)

Well, back on topic: Is the pressure for Mao high or low in this competition? If you were Mao, would you be stressed out or would you feel freer at this point?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I find them incredibly thin-skinned and defensive to the extreme. It's understandable. ;)

Well, back on topic: Is the pressure for Mao high or low in this competition? If you were Mao, would you be stressed out or would you feel freer at this point?

I would say there's little pressure. Very few expected Mao to be here, win or lose in Sochi. She lost, but had a spectacular free that will go down in the ages as one of the great comebacks of all time. I think it will be hard for her to top that performance and I question why she is even here--I guess she wants to go out on top as world champion, and i sincerely hope she can do that.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
IIRC, the French news article came as a tip from an unidentified Russian coach. Why would a Russian coach implicate his own Federation in a scheme like this and talk to a reporter before a competition? The whole thing sounded a little fishy to me. It either didn't happen, or this unidentified coach wanted to cause a problem between western Federations (i.e -US and Canada).

I do think Gracie's marks were a little high, but the wuz gifted Oscar goes to - Lipnitskaya! for her performance at Sochi (applause). Second place to Sotnikova.

^This. And what Doris said. And what I said--you could read the story as a dig by a certain Russian coach to Voir, in order to upset them before the Olympics, so his team could take Silver. When a story can be spun plausibly in so many different directions, it doesn't say much for the "veracity" of the story. In fact, given the brouhaha it caused, more coaches should go to papers and give "anonymous" tips like that before every big event. Stir that pot! So entertaining! So diverting!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^This. And what Doris said. And what I said--you could read the story as a dig by a certain Russian coach to Voir, in order to upset them before the Olympics, so his team could take Silver. When a story can be spun plausibly in so many different directions, it doesn't say much for the "veracity" of the story. In fact, given the brouhaha it caused, more coaches should go to papers and give "anonymous" tips like that before every big event. Stir that pot! So entertaining! So diverting!

Isn't quoting anonymous sources similar to quoting one of Adelina's judges that scored her really high and saying...here. This person agrees. There is no accountability in anonymity.

I am fairly certain that I'm agreeing with you!!

usethis2

Medalist
I would say there's little pressure. Very few expected Mao to be here, win or lose in Sochi. She lost, but had a spectacular free that will go down in the ages as one of the great comebacks of all time. I think it will be hard for her to top that performance and I question why she is even here--I guess she wants to go out on top as world champion, and i sincerely hope she can do that.
Hmm.. so it is all but a foregone conclusion that this is her final stage?