Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

desertskates

Medalist
For whatever reason, I saw this coming from a mile away. But I love DWTS, so I'm excited! Not only for Meryl and Charlie, but I love Drew Carey. But I'm that nerdy person who votes for the best dancer, trying in vain to even out the popularity contest thing, lol. The only negative I see about this season of the show is muting it when Erin Andrews comes on. Fix that septum, lady!

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
LOL, maybe you are referring only to looks.

But in terms of mental and physical toughness, Maks is the one who should wonder whether he is in the same league as Davis.

Yep, I was thinking of looks. The height difference and such. I mean Meryl is such a princess and Maks well... is Maks :p But I'm positive about this.

I doubt that V/M care much. They are Canadians, I do not beleive any Canadian has ever been on the show. It is not like they were in competition with them to be picked! They had a reality show in Canada, and I am sure D/W did not care much about that either.

Side note - Not sure about Maks as a partner for Meryl??? I would have thought she would be put with Mark Ballas or Derek Hough.

I think that the perception has been that Mark and Derek always get the most adept dancers, and so they wanted to even the odds a bit. I also think it might have looked like favoritism in another way to pair Derek and Meryl, because they worked together on D/W's short program.

In any case, I think it's very wise to pair Derek with Amy Purdy, because his skill as a choreographer will give her the best chance to use her strengths to do more challenging dances. She is a trained athlete and so has practice dealing with balance, but the kind of muscle control needed to do things like arch her back from a standing position will be exponentially harder with two modified limbs (rather than the one that Heather Mills dealt with). Fortunately, she has her "biological" knees, but I'm not sure how much grip her feet have. A lot of compensation will be necessary, and for that she'll need the most adept, inventive choreographer possible. I bet Derek is excited by the challenge.

As for V/M "seething" (as an earlier poster commented), I can't imagine that possibility. Leaving aside the question of temperament, each of these couples has also had interesting opportunities that the other has not had. Tessa and Scott had their reality show, which was possible because they are so much better known in Canada than Meryl and Charlie were up to now in the U.S. Also, Tessa and Scott had that gorgeous coffee-table-format book on their lives and career, full of wonderful photos and lots of text as well. Even now, I can't envision an American publishing company doing a similar book about Meryl and Charlie (though hope springs eternal). So things even out.

As for no Canadians ever being on the show, there has been a smattering of competitors from other countries, including Welsh concert singer Katherine Jenkins, whose active career has been mainly in the U.K. So never say never! But I don't really see Tessa and Scott on DWTS, mainly because of Tessa's injury. As I understand it, the rehearsal process on that show is grueling in a way that even training for the Olympics is not. Some weeks the competitors have to learn two and three dances in just a few days, and they can't pace themselves according to their own needs. It's boot camp for dancers, and even the pros get injured. Why would Tessa risk her health?

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Was thrilled to see they'll be on DWtS, but not surprised. Ever since word broke that Derek Hough helped with choreography of their SD, fans have been talking about wanting to see them both do the show. I think they're probably in need of a break and ready for some fun.

I'm sad that Tristan isn't returning and not thrilled that Erin Andrews is now hosting. I know I'm in the minority, but I find her sooooo annoying and now I can't even escape her after football season has ended.

Regarding the twist this season - they said at some point voters will get to choose the pairings, but they really weren't clear on whether that would be for only one week or the rest of the season. Conspiracy theorists are already complaining that Derek will end up with Meryl for the win. Tinfoil hat, anyone?

olayolay

On the Ice
Wow, surprised to see so many people like this idea. I understand the payday must be too good to give up, but DWTS is such a trashy joke and the contestants are infamously desperate people on the tail end of their careers hoping for another 5 minutes of fame. As a fan, disappointed to see them miss Worlds for this.

caitie

Medalist
Apparently the twist is they will switch partners for a week in the middle of the season based on audience votes. Then after that week the ~star will get to decide whether to stay with their new partner or go back to their original one.

It's sort of hard for me to imagine Meryl ditching Maks for Derek. Or anyone for that matter -- don't people usually get pretty attached to their pros? I guess the exception would be poor relationships like Hope Solo and Maks had, but I honestly can't think of another one...

mwk81

Rinkside
Wow, surprised to see so many people like this idea. I understand the payday must be too good to give up, but DWTS is such a trashy joke and the contestants are infamously desperate people on the tail end of their careers hoping for another 5 minutes of fame. As a fan, disappointed to see them miss Worlds for this.

More your own personal opinion than fact

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
So many fun Twitter postings:

https://twitter.com/Ih8mornings/status/440898315983409152/photo/1
T.
‏@Ih8mornings 12m
My little boy is over the moon with the announcement that @MaksimC is back! @Meryl_Davis He support's you! #DWTS pic.twitter.com/xJPQ67Hpq0

MaksimC 8:29am via Twitter for iPhone
Don't know what I did 'right' to be partnered with @Meryl_Davis , but thank you @DancingABC ! Something tells me this will be fun ;)

Meryl_Davis 8:17am via Twitter for iPhone
Feeling so fortunate to have been partnered with @MaksimC on @DancingABC! ☀️ Let the adventure begin! Weeeee! pic.twitter.com/DXnQS9ZKea

SharnaBurgess 6:26am via TweetCaster for iOS
@CharlieaWhite lets have an amazing journey together :) so blessed 2have your spirit& energy around me now Lets kick some *** ;) #teamgold

charlieawhite
http://instagram.com/p/lIGuIfMT91/
1 hour ago
Making the most of this opportunity with #DWTS and so lucky to be teamed up with the beautiful @sharnaburgess !!

Meryl_Davis 6:16am via Twitter for iPhone
So excited to be "Team M&M" with @MaksimC on @DancingABC 😊pic.twitter.com/1zz04RwVbuu

CharlieaWhite 6:25am via Twitter for iPhone
Don't listen to @Meryl_Davis ! It's all about team Shar-Char!!! @SharnaBurgess and I are ready to rock! pic.twitter.com/4SYeOfzACa

kristiyamaguchi 6:56am via Twitter for iPad
So excited for @Meryl_Davis and @CharlieaWhite on DWTS!!! Hoping you have as much fun as I did. Can't wait to watch the magic you'll bring!

Awwwww....from Alex Shibutani:
AlexShibutani 8:31am via Twitter for iPhone
Can't wait to see @Meryl_Davis and @CharlieaWhite on @DancingABC!... Also, can't wait to see them period. Its been a few days. :( #DWTS

What I'm waiting for on Twitter is #MarlieDWTSTrashTalk.

Make it happen!

:)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Apparently the twist is they will switch partners for a week in the middle of the season based on audience votes. Then after that week the ~star will get to decide whether to stay with their new partner or go back to their original one.

It's sort of hard for me to imagine Meryl ditching Maks for Derek. Or anyone for that matter -- don't people usually get pretty attached to their pros? I guess the exception would be poor relationships like Hope Solo and Maks had, but I honestly can't think of another one...

I'm predicting it now: at the pairs switch, Meryl will be paired with Derek Hough, the conspiracy thread will start. Matt K will chime in: if Tessa & Scott were there, THEY'D would'nt need no other steenkin' partners. General hilarity ensues.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm predicting it now: at the pairs switch, Meryl will be paired with Derek Hough, the conspiracy thread will start. Matt K will chime in: if Tessa & Scott were there, THEY'D would'nt need no other steenkin' partners. General hilarity ensues.

Disappointed in you, WeakAnkles.

Zamboni

On the Ice
If Virtue/Moir went on this show, they would outdance and slay their competitors (including D/W and B/A). But DWTS is really (should be) for beginners and it's not great dancing. It's a bit mockish. After seeing D/W's lack of dance ability on the ice, it'll be interesting to see their dancing (or lack of) dancing abilities on the floor.

But V/M wouldn't be competing together, they'd be competing against each other.

Kate Gosselin and her partner. I think it was the normally placid Tony Dovolani, and Kate even managed to irritate him.

Matt K

On the Ice
But V/M wouldn't be competing together, they'd be competing against each other.

Well, obviously they'd be competing against each other.

Oh yeah, I remembered now. V/M had their own self titled reality show. Yes, their own reality series. They don't need to participate in some below amateur mockish dance competition for beginners with no dance training. Maybe DW will last at least as long, or longer than VM's series. Maybe. Who knows how long they will last in this "competition". Hopefully more than 6 weeks.

:laugh:
Which is why I don't get why people are saying how this opportunity is the envy of all. :slink:

I heard the DWTS producers went to Sochi to scout out U.S. Olympians. They probably bent over backwards trying to get Lolo Jones, who is oozing of personality, or even Ted Ligety. I would not be surprised if they declined due to the same reason you pointed out. Well, I don't know how much of an attention seeker Lolo is. Maybe she didn't want her extra 15 minutes of fame, unlike Snooki or Nene Leakes.

Hope Solo is very popular internationally, she is someone who would bring huge ratings to the show. She is very popular in Europe and Australia, and I would think Japan as well. I think Lolo is the only other Olympian who could bring in those ratings. Lindsey Vonn too.

Hikaru

Final Flight

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Ohhh I can't wait to see that!!