Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sotnikova posted with the Japanese Team in SOI in her instagram, they seem to be having fun
no grudge there especially in Japan, only the Yuna fans like to think so :rofl:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Plus if I was getting as much hate as she did when she won that Gold, I'd be pissed off too and say things I'll later regret. No body is perfect and it was an extremely emotional time for all those involved. Everyone's so busy looking for reasons to crucify her that they don't realize they need to take a big step back and look at how they're treating this girl.
Ha, you got almost right my words. She just said something stupid that she will regret later.

Yuna did not do ANYTHING againts her, not even said anything but congrats her, why did she must do opposite thing toward Yuna???? Why attacking her? That's some people outside there she must feel mad to, not Yuna. She's a public figure, she's the one who must watch her attitude first, not anyone else.

When I say I don't care, it's because I don't know russian so I coudn't check the news info true or not. But based on so many available news AND video when Adelina leave in the midle of press conf, I couldn't see why I must see her as a sweetheart :laugh:

And you know what, I even see a few one who don't believe Yuna is a nice person after all, so it's not weird with Adelina when there're so many don't believe her sweet personality :p

sajoya

On the Ice
Ha, you got almost right my words. She just said something stupid that she will regret later.

Yuna did not do ANYTHING againts her, not even said anything but congrats her, why did she must do opposite thing toward Yuna???? Why attacking her? That's some people outside there she must feel mad to, not Yuna. She's a public figure, she's the one who must watch her attitude first, not anyone else.

When I say I don't care, it's because I don't know russian so I coudn't check the news info true or not. But based on so many available news AND video when Adelina leave in the midle of press conf, I couldn't see why I must believe she is a sweetheart :laugh:

:scratch: Do you mind posting links to those sources? So I can see it for myself.

Mafke

Medalist
All this hate against Adelina is making my stomach turn. Shes just a 17 year old kid people, a kid who everyone says is a sweetheart.

The judges have used her very badly. They don't care what happens to her career (which probably won't amount to much outside of Russia) because they got that gold medal for Mother Russia come cook or come crook.

I don't hate her, but I don't think of her gold medal the same way I think of lots of others and that's squarely on the judges, a bunch of anonymous crooks.

nguyenghita

On the Ice

Nadya

On the Ice
I see the Goggle translate brigade is at it again. Time for the actual translator to weigh in. Alors:

Q: After your amazing victory, tons of international media criticized the judging and you personally. How does is affect you, or does it? And how important is it for you to be recognized by the international community?

A. Well, most of the international community supports me (laughs). The day after my win I received lots of...millions...billions of Facebook messages from my friends and enemies. The opinions were naturally divided, but I wasn't worried in the slightest, because I knew I did all I could on the ice. I had a skate of my life! I never skated like I did at the Olympics. And I believe I deserve this medal because Kim's program was weaker. She had no second combo late in the program, and when she did, it was a triple/double. And the jump she picked was easier. If she chose something more difficult, a double loop, for instance...even if she did early in the program, she would have won. But as she miscalculated somewhat and didn't do what she had to do by making the program easier, that worked against her.

Q. Yes, I agree, your victory was beyond doubt. I am just curious if it affected or bothered you.

A. In fact, at first I didn't even know about this...mess, as I didn't go online and didn't read much. I didn't want to. Then I logged into my Instagram and saw it. The Koreans covered it with dirty language.

Q. Not just Koreans.

A. Well, the people who wrote on my page were Koreans.

Q. Were the curses in Korean too?

A. Not all of them, some were in English. The main thing was it was entirely unpublishable. I didn't respond. Let them sort it out themselves. Obviously, they will support their athlete. Especially considering that Yuna Kim is like a president to Koreans.

Q. The next day I read an interview with Carolina Kostner who said very warm things about you and Yulia. So I wanted to ask you: do you have any friends among rivals? And is that even possible? Do you talk to Carolina or Yulia off the ice?

A. I know Carolina and she's got a big soul just like I do. I wish only the best to everyone and won't backbite. Carolina is the same, perhaps even better. She's so soft. She glows like an angel. She and I became friends. We talk on Facebook a lot and always support each other.

After the Europeans we became even better friends. She told me, "you'll see, we will do great at the Olympics!" That's what Carolina Kostner told me!

winky97

Medalist
i bet if yuna has her own instagram i'm sure she will received even more hateful messages... maybe not in korea but elsewhere..

just look at those hateful videos from youtube since 2009..

i still remember how they made up a rumor about her sex video.. :disapp:

trolls are everywhere in the internet... they're everywhere...

been there..

That is probably why Yuna does not do instagram. In fact Yuna had a period where she got a lot of online hate. She used to do a blog when she was on the rise and got a lot of hate through her blog. She said to the people it is cool if you don't like me, but why all the hate. Lord knows what she gets through her twitter account. I am not defending it, but it seems to be the name of the game when you are a public figure. People feel the need to pull you down in the face of your success. I have heard a lot of famous people say they avoid social media and looking themselves up online for that reason. Unfortunately for Adelina this is something that seems to just come with her position as OGM, so for her sake I hope that she has thick skin. Deaths threats and telling her to go kill herself are ridiculous though.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
That is probably why Yuna does not do instagram. In fact Yuna had a period where she got a lot of online hate. She used to do a blog when she was on the rise and got a lot of hate through her blog. She said to the people it is cool if you don't like me, but why all the hate. Lord knows what she gets through her twitter account. I am not defending it, but it seems to be the name of the game when you are a public figure. People feel the need to pull you down in the face of your success. I have heard a lot of famous people say they avoid social media and looking themselves up online for that reason. Unfortunately for Adelina this is something that seems to just come with her position as OGM, so for her sake I hope that she has thick skin. Deaths threats and telling her to go kill herself are ridiculous though.
Yuna has twitter even now, she used to tweet random things in the past but after Vancouver, she just use it for unicef charity works

Barb

Record Breaker
I see the Goggle translate brigade is at it again. Time for the actual translator to weigh in. Alors:

Q: After your amazing victory, tons of international media criticized the judging and you personally. How does is affect you, or does it? And how important is it for you to be recognized by the international community?

A. Well, most of the international community supports me (laughs). The day after my win I received lots of...millions...billions of Facebook messages from my friends and enemies. The opinions were naturally divided, but I wasn't worried in the slightest, because I knew I did all I could on the ice. I had a skate of my life! I never skated like I did at the Olympics. And I believe I deserve this medal because Kim's program was weaker. She had no second combo late in the program, and when she did, it was a triple/double. And the jump she picked was easier. If she chose something more difficult, a double loop, for instance...even if she did early in the program, she would have won. But as she miscalculated somewhat and didn't do what she had to do by making the program easier, that worked against her.

Q. Yes, I agree, your victory was beyond doubt. I am just curious if it affected or bothered you.

A. In fact, at first I didn't even know about this...mess, as I didn't go online and didn't read much. I didn't want to. Then I logged into my Instagram and saw it. The Koreans covered it with dirty language.

Q. Not just Koreans.

A. Not all of them, some were in English. The main thing was it was entirely unpublishable. I didn't respond. Let them sort it out themselves. Obviously, they will support their athlete. Especially considering that Yuna Kim is like a president to Koreans.

Q. The next day I read an interview with Carolina Kostner who said very warm things about you and Yulia. So I wanted to ask you: do you have any friends among rivals? And is that even possible? Do you talk to Carolina or Yulia off the ice?

A. I know Carolina and she's got a big soul just like I do. I wish only the best to everyone and won't backbite. Carolina is the same, perhaps even better. She's so soft. She glows like an angel. She and I became friends. We talk on Facebook a lot and always support each other.

After the Europeans we became even better friends. She told me, "you'll see, we will do great at the Olympics!" That's what Carolina Kostner told me!

I dont know if this interview and its translation is true, but the I dont wonder her answers, the interviewer was very disrpectful, saying he is agree her victory was beyond dobouts, and that not only koreans, etc. Wth:disapp:

JayW

Final Flight
I dont know if this interview and its translation is true, but the I dont wonder her answers, the interviewer was very disrpectful, saying he is agree her victory was beyond dobouts, and that not only koreans, etc. Wth:disapp:

Even if Adelina truly believes she deservs the win (which I doubt), I see nothing wrong about it. People only believe and see what they want to. Plus she is only 17, and most likely she doesn't know how to speak her mind diplomatically.

winky97

Medalist
Clearly you need to watch more figure skating award ceremonies. It's not that uncommon....for example:

Alexei Yagudin jumping up and down on the 2002 Olympic podium: http://youtu.be/UhIhlRUp1BI?t=3m40s
Florent Amodio jumping up and down on the 2011 Europeans podium: http://youtu.be/fot6qZuKYXw?t=1m23s
Volosozhar/Trankov, Stolbova/Klimov, Bobrova/Soloviev, Ilinykh/Katsalapov, Julia Lipnitskaya, Evgeni Plushenko on the 2014 Olympic team podium: http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Figure+Skating+Winter+Olympics+Day+2+MvqEdbk1LSll.jpg

I never thought I'd see the day when people are complaining that skaters are too demonstrative of their happiness when they win :rolleye:

I watch plenty of figure skating thank you very much. Even some of Adelina's own supporters have said that they wished she had not have jumped up and down on the podium. I think people need to act the like they have class in the face of both victory or defeat. I recall the 1994 Worlds where Surya Bonaly believed that she should have won, but received silver behind Yuka Sato. Surya was refusing to come out to the medal ceremony, was refusing to get on the second place podium, and removed her silver medal. She was demonstrating her emotions. You can find it on youtube in case you have not seen it. Is what Surya did ok or is it only happiness that can be demonstrated overly, but not anger and disappointment?

I did not say that what Adelina did was the crime of the century. I just think that the podium jumping was a bad idea, particularly when you consider that she was a controversial winner.

Nadya

On the Ice
I watch plenty of figure skating thank you very much. Even some of Adelina's own supporters have said that they wished she had not have jumped up and down on the podium. I think people need to act the like they have class in the face of both victory or defeat. I recall the 1994 Worlds where Surya Bonaly believed that she should have won, but received silver behind Yuka Sato. Surya was refusing to come out to the medal ceremony, was refusing to get on the second place podium, and removed her silver medal. She was demonstrating her emotions. You can find it on youtube in case you have not seen it. Is what Surya did ok or is it only happiness that can be demonstrated overly, but not anger and disappointment?

I did not say that what Adelina did was the crime of the century. I just think that the podium jumping was a bad idea, particularly when you consider that she was a controversial winner.
What does Bonaly's story have to do with the matter at hand?

I see nothing wrong with a 17-year old celebrating her victory. It's not like she was there spitting in people's faces. There's nothing unclassy about demonstrating victory.

Here is what Google images produces when queried for "jumping on the podium". Were these athletes all classless?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Eri...odium&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch

Jewels

On the Ice
Even if Adelina truly believes she deservs the win (which I doubt), I see nothing wrong about it. People only believe and see what they want to. Plus she is only 17, and most likely she doesn't know how to speak her mind. diplomatically.

Still, I wish she hadn't brought Yuna in. She could have explained with what she had achieved to win gold medal, not telling what Yuna should have done. You never know what other skater had in mind, and expressions like 'miscalculation' are disrespectful IMO, whether she's just a young girl or not.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

Q. Not just Koreans.

I don't understand Korean nor Russian but based on your translation, I felt kinda annoyed by her answers still. I found her comment about Yuna having a weaker program really really annoying. I do not agree with the bullying she's been receiving but man, her interviews re Yuna and her win are really off and arrogant IMO. I mean did she seriously think Yuna's program was 'weaker' than hers? Really? Planned program and executed program are two different things. I'm really sorry but I really do find her arrogant. The "if she chose something more difficult.." really bugs me. What about the short program elements (3Lz-3T vs her 3T-3T)! and Yuna's step sequence which was obviously MORE DIFFICULT than hers? god.

*sorry for ranting

Nadya

On the Ice
Still, I wish she hadn't brought Yuna in. She could have explained with what she had achieved to win gold medal, not telling what Yuna should have done. You never know what other skater had in mind, and expressions like 'miscalculation' are disrespectful IMO, whether she's just a young girl or not.
She didn't bring Kim in. When asked specifically why she should be a winner and not Kim, she explained that Kim's program (not her person) had less technical content because jumps happened early in the program, did not include a triple/triple, etc. It's pure math. It wasn't a character assassination.

JayW

Final Flight

Now I have to say something stereotype about Russians. Part of the reason I appreciate Russian athletes is because of their being straightforward. There are plenty examples, Plushy, Yagudin, Buterskaya, Khorkina(gymnast)... the list goes on and on. Of course, in many cases the fine line between straightforwardness and arrogance was blurry.