Which boots/blades for a beginner? | Golden Skate

Which boots/blades for a beginner?

filizanka

Rinkside
Hello, thank you for responses to my previous post. I found a good fitter and I’m going there to get my new skates. It’s on the other side of the country, so I just have some questions. I know a fitter might answer them, but I guess I’m paranoid about buying bad skates (again) since I lost a lot of money because my old skates didn’t fit.

This fitter has Edea and Risport, and I want to know in advance what boot would be good for me from these brands. I’m 21, 173 cm and 50 kg. I just started skating and found a coach so I will be taking lessons once I get my skates. I thought that from Edea, Overtures might be a good option? But I don’t know about Risport.

Also, which blade should i get? I saw that they sell MK Flight, and it seems to be a blade for beginners. Should I get this one? Or if I get Edea, should I get the one with Edea blade?

Once again, sorry for my English. And thank you for your help previously.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hello, thank you for responses to my previous post. I found a good fitter and I’m going there to get my new skates. It’s on the other side of the country, so I just have some questions. I know a fitter might answer them, but I guess I’m paranoid about buying bad skates (again) since I lost a lot of money because my old skates didn’t fit.

This fitter has Edea and Risport, and I want to know in advance what boot would be good for me from these brands. I’m 21, 173 cm and 50 kg. I just started skating and found a coach so I will be taking lessons once I get my skates. I thought that from Edea, Overtures might be a good option? But I don’t know about Risport.

Also, which blade should i get? I saw that they sell MK Flight, and it seems to be a blade for beginners. Should I get this one? Or if I get Edea, should I get the one with Edea blade?

In the Risport , you could try on both the RF3 Pro and the Royal Pro and see which feels more comfortable. I wear Risport RF1 boots (they would be overbooting for someone at your beginner level and with your light weight) and love that line, but many other skaters prefer Risport's Royal line to the RFs. It seems to be a matter of what the boots feel like on your feet. I can't advise about Edeas, as I've never worn them myself.

As for blades, I'd suggest starting off with the MK Pro, which is an intermediate blade but won't overwhelm a beginner. If you learn on them, you can continue wearing them as you advance without having to adjust to the feel of a different blade as you go up a level in your skills. Just don't buy the "light" version of the Pro if the fitter tries to talk you into them. The traditional MK Pro is a better blade for you than the light one.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

From what I've been able to gather from your answer to me on your previous thread and now this one, looks like Risport would be best for you if you have high arches. With your skill set as well as your physical stats, you would be fine in an Electra. I'd pair that with a decent traditional version of an intermediate blade like MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace and you would be fine. Be aware boots don't last forever and you will probably need a new pair and possibly an upgrade in a years time. If MK Pro/JW Coro ace are too costly for you right now, you would be fine with Ultima Aspire XP or Mirage.

Good luck!

ETA: You may need a boot that is more narrow in the heel than toebox (forefoot), at least IIRC that is what I gathered from your other thread.

Last edited:

filizanka

Rinkside
Hi, thank you for both of your responses! I ended up trying on both Risport and Edea and suprisingly Edea ended up suiting me better. I ended up getting three sizes smaller skates and I took your advice and got MK Pro. I went to skate in them for a bit right after buying them and they feel great, so I’m happy that I have a pair that fits. Thank you both again!!