South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 56 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I always thought the worst scandal of SLC was the blatant work by the judges to stop a Russian sweep of the men's podium. Abt's SP was underscored something severe.

sk8in

Match Penalty
This isn't a thread that should go in depth into Yulia vs the world. Go to the Artistry and Scoring amongst youngsters thread for that. In short Yulia beat all three Americans in every competition she faced them in except Olympic individuals where Gracie eeked by with a generous score herself.

Look , I'm not trying to overhype her or rub anyone's nose in her success here. I just take extreme offense to her being called a non legitimate talent. All of Russian skating was thrown in there too. That is just wrong and something should be done about this type of writing.
She is talented. My point is Polina and Gracie are just as talented, and justifiably don't get the same amount of hype. Jump wise their techniques are equal or better. But they haven't competed as much on the world stage.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Julia L. has the "it factor", and managed to capture the whole world's attention (or the ppl watching the Olympics) during the team skating event. None of the other junior-senior skaters right now have her star appeal (I would wager that she's more famous than Sotnikova, despite Sotnikova receiving the OGM), hence the amount of hype that surrounds her.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I always thought the worst scandal of SLC was the blatant work by the judges to stop a Russian sweep of the men's podium. Abt's SP was underscored something severe.

I don't think Abt's undermarking was due to an explicit conspiracy by the judges to prevent a Russian sweep in SLC, but more a function of Abt being criminally undermarked for his entire career because of his position as the #3 Russian man. See, e.g. 2002 Europeans where he was blatantly robbed of the gold, the fourth place at 2002 Worlds that should've been a bronze, etc.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think Abt's undermarking was due to an explicit conspiracy by the judges to prevent a Russian sweep in SLC,

But imagine the reaction if the Russian men had swept the podium in the USA.

leafygreens

Final Flight
based on the statement from the complaint itself.. they're not actually complaining about the sochi results..(because the appeal is already expired)..what they're complaining now is about the composition of the judging panel.. and they're asking for investigation.. whether this will mean something or not.. seems fair to me..

By complaining about the judges, they're complaining about the results that came from the judges. Fine by me. The KSU has consulted lawyers and made a thoughtful argument. I trust that they know what they're doing.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Obviously the skaters would never give themselves the scores. I doubt that they would take the gold medal away from Sonitkova, because if they found some wrong-doing, then it's the judges/system's fault, not her fault. They would like what: "Hello Adelina, we have just found out we over-scored you so we will take the gold back."?

Can't think of a sport incident at the moment, but Miss California pageant - Cristina Silva was announced the winner, then an error was spotted in the results and they took her title away and gave it to someone else. It happens.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Can't think of a sport incident at the moment, but Miss California pageant - Cristina Silva was announced the winner, then an error was spotted in the results and they took her title away and gave it to someone else. It happens.
:biggrin: in sport we have Lance Armstrong but he was using doping so they have every rights to strip off all his gold medals. Sotnikova did nothing like using doping so it's different. and figure skating is no beauty pageant.

sk8in

Match Penalty
By complaining about the judges, they're complaining about the results that came from the judges. Fine by me. The KSU has consulted lawyers and made a thoughtful argument. I trust that they know what they're doing.
Actually, I believe its in the current ISU rules that you're not allowed to question the outcomes of competitions, except on the grounds of a math error. That whole 30 minute time limit on contesting the results only applies if for some reason judges didn't add their numbers together correctly. So really the only way for the KSU to go about this is to question the integrity of the panel itself. If they win, theoretically the competition will be ruled as invalid. All the results will be thrown out, including Carolina and Yuna's medals. If they lose, the judging panel is considered valid and the results stand. They can't actually get like a reassessment of the competition, or even argue a Russian bias in the panel.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Not so. Technical panel calls have been reversed by a challenge in the very narrow window of time allowed. Shpilband challenged P&B's score at one of their GP's this season. They had been penalized for a fall incorrectly. (Having one knee on the ice is not a fall during a lift. Two knees are required in dance for a fall in such a situation.)

leafygreens

Final Flight
Sotnikova did nothing like using doping so it's different.

Nobody said she did.

and figure skating is no beauty pageant.

I didn't say it was.

The ISU has the power to change placements and award multiple medals in the case of corrupt judging, which it has done in the past. This situation is no different.

No, the petition doesn't have to be filed within 30 minutes. It has to be filed within 60 days.

I wish the KSU much luck in their quest to expose the corrupt judging to the world.

leafygreens

Final Flight
In 1992, at the Barcelona Games, the IOC eventually granted a co-champion gold medal to Canada's Sylvie Frechette in synchronized swimming when her score was deemed incorrect due to a judging error (a typo by a Brazilian judge). The error wasn't corrected for 16 months until, after countless appeals and the support of the IOC, Frechette was presented the gold by IOC member Dick Pound in a ceremony in her hometown of Montreal in December 1993.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=philbrick/080820

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
In the mean time it was an interesting interview with Sotnikova's coach. The full translation by ТАНЬКА is at FSU. Just a couple of paragraphs,

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...uyanova-Sotnikova-always-knew-what-she-wanted

"EV: Were you shocked by the amount of offences in the internet coming from the Korean figure skating fans?
EB: I tried explaining Adelina at the beginning Yu Na Kim was the whole country idol. The only one. They have no other skaters and it's not obvious they ever will. In other words - it's the nation's pride, love, hope and support. I can only dream to have such support for Adelina in our country. I explained her all that. When the hopes are shattered it's hard to remain adequate.
Of course it's unpleasant all those discussions about Adelina. How much and how fast her components mark went up... What exactly do we compare her olympic skate with? The way she skated in the GPF in December? She missed 5 elements there. When all the elements are completed the second mark goes up. Add a very complicated combo to that.
On the other hand you have to deal with emotions in the sport. Negative included. I was very impressed how after the SP Mao Asada's coach came out to the Japanese press who were waiting for him outside the `Iceberg' at 1am. There were hundreds of them. The flashes made it seem as if it was the middle of the day. He was standing there with his eyes on the ground and spoke, spoke, spoke... As if he was apologizing in front of the whole country understanding what a blow to the nation was Mao's bad skate.
EV: What if Adelina, when she comes back to Moscow will come to the rink and say she is done skating?
EB: It's her right. Right now she is set to continue. Says she've never won the Worlds, the Europeans and would love to have those medals. Right now she has a great time participating the show and she learns a lot there. Tchernyshev created 2 great programmes for her in 3 days. 3 nights actually - the ice was busy during the day. I can see now how much Adelina enjoys figure skating. She gets a standing ovation every time. It levels all that negative stuff that still goes on in the internet. I'm so grateful to the Japanese fans for that".

I hope that this protest leads to nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meoima

Match Penalty
co-champion gold medal
Which also mean they did not strip the other's gold medal, because it's their fault, not the athele's fault.
Personally I agree that the judging should be investigate. But I highly doubt that they will strip off Adelina's medal.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
In the mean time it was an interesting interview with Sotnikova's coach. The full translation by ТАНЬКА is at FSU. Just a couple of paragraphs,

"EV: Were you shocked by the amount of offences in the internet coming from the Korean figure skating fans?
EB: I tried explaining Adelina at the beginning Yu Na Kim was the whole country idol. The only one. They have no other skaters and it's not obvious they ever will. In other words - it's the nation's pride, love, hope and support. I can only dream to have such support for Adelina in our country. I explained her all that. When the hopes are shattered it's hard to remain adequate.
Of course it's unpleasant all those discussions about Adelina. How much and how fast her components mark went up... What exactly do we compare her olympic skate with? The way she skated in the GPF in December? She missed 5 elements there. When all the elements are completed the second mark goes up. Add a very complicated combo to that.
On the other hand you have to deal with emotions in the sport. Negative included. I was very impressed how after the SP Mao Asada's coach came out to the Japanese press who were waiting for him outside the `Iceberg' at 1am. There were hundreds of them. The flashes made it seem as if it was the middle of the day. He was standing there with his eyes on the ground and spoke, spoke, spoke... As if he was apologizing in front of the whole country understanding what a blow to the nation was Mao's bad skate.EV: What if Adelina, when she comes back to Moscow will come to the rink and say she is done skating?
EB: It's her right. Right now she is set to continue. Says she've never won the Worlds, the Europeans and would love to have those medals. Right now she has a great time participating the show and she learns a lot there. Tchernyshev created 2 great programmes for her in 3 days. 3 nights actually - the ice was busy during the day. I can see now how much Adelina enjoys figure skating. She gets a standing ovation every time. It levels all that negative stuff that still goes on in the internet. I'm so grateful to the Japanese fans for that".

IIRC, Midori Ito actually did apologize to Japan in 1992 when she came in 2nd to Kristi Yamaguchi after having been expected to win the OGM. I felt terrible for her -- the pressure must have been incredible.

My hope is that if there was any dishonesty or fixing in the judging, the protest will lead to an investigation and genuinely meaningful reforms in the system. But I also hope that this can be done with minimal impact to the skaters. None of them did anything wrong; all they did was to give their very best effort.

BusyMom

Medalist
IIRC, Midori Ito actually did apologize to Japan in 1992 when she came in 2nd to Kristi Yamaguchi after having been expected to win the OGM. I felt terrible for her -- the pressure must have been incredible.

Mao, personally did it too during the press conference right after her got back to Japan. :cry:

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice

On the other hand you have to deal with emotions in the sport. Negative included. I was very impressed how after the SP Mao Asada's coach came out to the Japanese press who were waiting for him outside the `Iceberg' at 1am. There were hundreds of them. The flashes made it seem as if it was the middle of the day. He was standing there with his eyes on the ground and spoke, spoke, spoke... As if he was apologizing in front of the whole country understanding what a blow to the nation was Mao's bad skate.
EV: What if Adelina, when she comes back to Moscow will come to the rink and say she is done skating?

Her coach seems very level-headed.

MiRé

Match Penalty

Obviously since you're from Moscow. This protest is a complaint that there was a bias in judging, which there WAS. There was ALWAYS a judging bias in almost EVERY event in figure skating. This protest, if goes in a right direction, would change the judging system, in a way that no judging would be QUESTIONED. Even if this PROTEST is disregarded by ISU, I still want, AT LEAST, an open panel judging.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Obviously since you're from Moscow. This protest is a complaint that there was a bias in judging, which there WAS. There was ALWAYS a judging bias in almost EVERY event in figure skating. This protest, if goes in a right direction, would change the judging system, in a way that no judging would be QUESTIONED. Even if this PROTEST is disregarded by ISU, I still want, AT LEAST, an open panel judging.
I want that anonymous judging gone, at least!!