2014 Worlds Pairs Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds Pairs Short Program

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Hoping that S/S going first in the final group means they do the throw 3S.

PLEASE just do the Grand Prix Final long program and all will be good. The throw 3Axel has already been landed and ratified. If they had the "first" thing to go for, I'd understand maybe, but they don't.

I hope so too,
Though if they do it all clean, I guess with their couple point lead she could whisper in his ear "3A" ,
And then they could try it, Possibly fall but still get about 4 points out of it with the deduction, A good 3s would give them about 6.50

diane044

Rinkside
I am watching SN1, they say it's live, but they are way off. Last group is just warming... Do the send the signal from Japan by boat?

I was watching CBC dot ca, which seemed to be right on time, BUT no commentary (I wonder if it was the same as the ISU channel??) Myself, I would really prefer PJ Kwong's commentary with the skating, even if it's a little later than the real event. The last team (D/R) skated at 13:41 Japan time, which is the same as 10:41 PM here in Regina SK (which is 2 hours behind Toronto time EDT). How does that compare to SN 1?

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I hope so too,
Though if they do it all clean, I guess with their couple point lead she could whisper in his ear "3A" ,
And then they could try it, Possibly fall but still get about 4 points out of it with the deduction, A good 3s would give them about 6.50

That is true. They got a 4.25 at the Olympics (with the -3GOE and -1 deduction) on the 3Ax and a 6.75 with the clean 3S at GPF. They're leading S/K by more than that. (I'm sorry to say I still think S/K is the team to beat in the LP.)

But it probably does affect the PCS somewhat too so I dunno if 2.50 less is it. Plus she always could underrotate? Or D/R could skate lights out in the long too.

I'd rather see their last program ever without a fall. So no whispering Aliona! Go for the clean program.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Actually I don't remember the time but they were late with a little more than a group, judging after the forum. Yes PJ was commenting. Now they started the opening ceremony. Do you know if men skate next, this night?

Alba

Record Breaker
Actually I don't remember the time but they were late with a little more than a group, judging after the forum. Yes PJ was commenting. Now they started the opening ceremony. Do you know if men skate next, this night?

Yes. Men are next, in an hour.

diane044

Rinkside
I can't tell from SN 1 (cricfree.tv) schedule listed. CBC dot ca IS planning to show the Men's short live at 245 am EDT according to their website.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER 79.02 video
2 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN 77.01 video
3 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 76.15 video
4 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN 72.24 video
5 Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG CHN 71.68
6 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 69.31 video
7 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS 67.41 video
8 Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE RUS 66.78 video
9 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 64.01 video
10 Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA 62.73 video

Alba

Record Breaker
This is Castelli/Shnapir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxHHnWXrUJo&list=UUHxukVg_JFACjNBHeDwddww

They were given no points in the death spiral which is at 1:30 in the youtube video.

I think no points on the death spiral because it didn't make it around 3 times??? I'm such a novice at this stuff. I should bookmark the rules in my browser. I forget where to find them on the web.

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2012-13 ISU Q&A Pairs 10 12 12.pdf

Death Spirals

In the final position while the Lady is performing the actual death spiral, both the Man and the Lady must execute a minimum of one (1) revolution with the knees of the Man clearly bent and in full pivot position.
For a possible higher Level, the Man should stay in a low pivot position (this is when the lower part of his buttocks is not higher than the upper part of the knee of the pivot foot).
The Lady simultaneously must skate on a clean edge with her body and head close to the ice surface, however she must not touch the ice with her head or
assist herself with the free hand or any part of the body.
The Lady’s body weight is supported by the force of the spiraling edge and the hold of the Man.
The Man must be in a centered position with a fully extended arm.
Any kind of position is counted as a feature if Skaters’ hold lasts for at least one (1) revolution.

Page 93: http://static.isu.org/media/79156/2012_specialregulations_technicalrules_singleandpair_icedance.pdf

Sabrina

Record Breaker
On Sn1 O. Cinquanta just spoke...
So the opening ceremony is over...
I loved Cristen MT/M but i don't understand why they do that ugly death spiral. I think they loose some points there.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I was watching CBC dot ca, which seemed to be right on time, BUT no commentary (I wonder if it was the same as the ISU channel??) Myself, I would really prefer PJ Kwong's commentary with the skating, even if it's a little later than the real event. The last team (D/R) skated at 13:41 Japan time, which is the same as 10:41 PM here in Regina SK (which is 2 hours behind Toronto time EDT). How does that compare to SN 1?

I was happy to not have to listen to a certain commentator who will remain nameless, but it was weird with no commentary. Where is PJ? Why has she not been commentating at all this season, or has she been on some obscure cable network that I don't get? :confused:

Anyhow, this event was pretty well skated. For me, D/R were the skate of the night. S/S were better, and S/K were good too, but I was expecting those two teams to skate well while I wasn't sure what D/R would bring. The Wendes were another highlight for me, but for the last two or three years I've been a big fan. When you look at their old 2010 programs and then look at now, they've improved so much.. they're like a totally different team! Plus Maylin looks so different (better) with darker hair, and their costumes have been much improved. The 2010 SP costume was VERY tacky.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
A/M have a bright future, that is one huge twist
B/L time are almost up if she doesn't improve her tiny jumps and their SBS jumps

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
1 Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY GER 79.02 video
2 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN 77.01 video
3 Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 76.15 video
4 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN 72.24 video
5 Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG CHN 71.68
6 Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH CAN 69.31 video
7 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS 67.41 video
8 Julia ANTIPOVA / Nodari MAISURADZE RUS 66.78 video
9 Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES FRA 64.01 video
10 Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK ITA 62.73 video

Thank you for supplying the video links Kutien.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www.usfsa.org/content/2012-13 ISU Q&A Pairs 10 12 12.pdf

Death Spirals

In the final position while the Lady is performing the actual death spiral, both the Man and the Lady must execute a minimum of one (1) revolution with the knees of the Man clearly bent and in full pivot position.
For a possible higher Level, the Man should stay in a low pivot position (this is when the lower part of his buttocks is not higher than the upper part of the knee of the pivot foot).
The Lady simultaneously must skate on a clean edge with her body and head close to the ice surface, however she must not touch the ice with her head or
assist herself with the free hand or any part of the body.
The Lady’s body weight is supported by the force of the spiraling edge and the hold of the Man.
The Man must be in a centered position with a fully extended arm.
Any kind of position is counted as a feature if Skaters’ hold lasts for at least one (1) revolution.

Page 93: http://static.isu.org/media/79156/2012_specialregulations_technicalrules_singleandpair_icedance.pdf

Upon a second look, it looks like that Simon stumbled as he pivoted and was forced to get out of the the spiral early and it look like he might not have gotten all the way around in the low pivot position.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
Thanks for the web link to the rules Alba! I bookmarked it this time.

And thanks Mrs. P for explaining what was wrong with it.

With all I learn on this site, in about 20 years, I'll know how to judge this sport. :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker
Upon a second look, it looks like that Simon stumbled as he pivoted and was forced to get out of the the spiral early and it look like he might not have gotten all the way around in the low pivot position.

Yeah, it looks like it.

I really believed that this was Stolbova/Klimov's to lose. They have really come into their own this season, are in incredible shape and the attack and confidence they are showing is just remarkable. Their triple twist didn't go so well this time but all of the other elements were executed to a very high standard. There was no hesitation and they really commanded the ice.

Fortunately Savchenko/Szolkowy did not implode this time. At least not in the SP anyway. :p I've seen them execute their elements to a higher standard but it was a job well done. I am not disputing the levels but I actually had S/S 2nd on the GOE, behind S/K. I echo everybody's sentiments and hope to see a cleanly landed throw 3salchow in the FS.

Duhamel/Radford's TES score has left me wide-mouthed. I am very happy to see them skating so well but, to me, their elements didn't seem to have the overall quality that S/S and S/K showed.

3twist had very good height but the catch was slightly late and he exited on two-feet (in relative terms, though, all the top 3 teams had slightly flowed twist lifts).
3lutz had well balanced landings on one foot but it had a long, telegraphed entry and hers was a tiny bit cheated and there wasn't much speed or flow out.
The lift was ok, for their standard, but I didn't see anything outstanding about it so I have no idea what bullets the judges have found to give it a +2. His lifting is not very strong or confident, neither is his footwork and her positions could have been extended a little better.
The pair combination spin, throw 3lutz and the steps were all good. I'd give them +1 for all three but I guess I can understand the judges going with +2 there.

The death spiral is something I don't feel sure about. The flow from entry to exit and the rotation speed seemed quite good. But I didn't think that the edge was very strong and her position seemed a little strained and lacking in extension with the position of her body and limbs not being refined or aesthetically pleasing. So I don't get the +2 GOEs there at all. Is there something I am not getting?

I do wonder whether their scores would have been any different, had they skated - for example - in the third group instead of being the very last team.