So-Youn Park | Page 34 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

yyyskate

Record Breaker
possible music choice strategy: LP, Kwan and Ashley's classic (Like Yuna's 09LP, Soyoun did said in interview before that her new LP will be similar to Yuna's 09LP), American choreographer for worlds in US.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Also, Soyoun used to train at SoCal the past 2 seasons during Summer. Cindy is a resident choreographer in that area.

dna5019

Final Flight
Good luck tomorrow, So Youn! :cheer: Can't wait to see her programs! I hope she does well! :biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Sound like this version of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTBIFmnKC9c

I like the program very much, including the music version/edit and don't think So Youn did badly at all. Good start and she should be encouraged.

For sure there are areas where she can improve but it is looking good already. I'd say her performance can benefit fit from a more obvious gear shift in the mid section, starting at 1min59 up selling with the music mood even more. Perhaps skating with a knowing sly look and confidence (sexiness whatever you want to call it) can add more emotion, depth and insights to the womanly performance to sell all the choreograph movements better (pay attention to how each movement ends), courting the judges (playful, flirtatious) panel more may help too (Study Yuna's James Bond pls). Really own the step sequence and express externally. Clarity, bigger, sharper.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
A bit closer look of SoYoun's SP. The rhythm and style is the key of this SP. I will study and post more about this.
choreo moves wise
according to this link (couldnot see much of facial expression due to video quality, but I think Soyoun is petty nonetheless, with a blush as a plus:love:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zszFxC8pVCw
0:16s (backwards steps) 0.35s(forward cross-roll steps) 1:15s (back-ward step) 1:40s(arms) 1:54s (arms) 2.06s(arms)
These are signature moves/styles that differentiate this music/genre to other similar dances/genres. I am glad to see these moves are incorporated throughout this SP choreo, so it wont become just another generic Ladin program.
I wish Soyoun could perform these moves with more authority and clarity in the future.
SoYoun has very long fingers and lovely hands. Would like to see her perform more prominent hand embellishment, should use those long fingers to her advance.
The rhythm! I liked the vocal version, OS posted someplace else, how the singer get the rhythm and feel right!. Soyoun could benefit on watching similar performances.
Music version, love it, the undertone of the instruments suit her and memorable.
If SoYoun get the feeling just right and cleans her tech. it will be a great program for her that she has never done before. from Swan to Rando to Black Orpheus. Glad she never repeats herself.

EDIT: Bossa Nova a lyrical fusion of Sambo and Jazz (absolutely suits SoYoun, new/challenging but not out of reach)
wiki link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bossa_nova
dance videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01kRxGCiJqE (come from Brazilian sambo but a bit slower, very melo, very romantic with a lot of rhythm in it )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-keL4pB6OY
Bossa Nova Rhythm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl8J2AcwngA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCrcpulSZCU

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I love So Youn's music choice.
I think she needs to add more flare and sexiness in her SP and she also needs to work on her speed I think. Overall, I like this program. She just needs to work on it more to showcase her own style. Yuna's James Bond is a great reference of a flirty, graceful yet powerful program. :)

Good luck to So Youn! I root for you as always! :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think the program is nice. Personally I think GOE for her jumps were a bit low. I'd give her higher than that given her jumping quality. But yeah I hope she get faster.
Go So Youn!

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
NO FALLS FROM SOYOUN!

that is all
:biggrin:

ok Im joking
I was actually expecting the worst from her. SY isn't exactly an early bird competitor so I was expecting falls and stumbles. BUT NOPE, she didn't fall! She just didn't do the 3Lz and didn't get any points for that 2Lz..... :laugh: Anyway, I think she looks more confident in competing. And I really like this program. She just needs to be more sharper at some moments and get more SS-work. I do think that she was improved a lot though.

ps. I LOVE THE DRESS and she got a level 4 for her stsq :dance:

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yeah level 4 stsq is a totally surprise for me as well. at live stream, I thought her steps is kinda sloppy.:p
But she only get level 1 for fly sit spin!:hopelessness:

Warwick360

Medalist
ok Im joking
I was actually expecting the worst from her. SY isn't exactly an early bird competitor so I was expecting falls and stumbles. BUT NOPE, she didn't fall! She just didn't do the 3Lz and didn't get any points for that 2Lz..... :laugh: Anyway, I think she looks more confident in competing. And I really like this program. She just needs to be more sharper at some moments and get more SS-work. I do think that she was improved a lot though.

ps. I LOVE THE DRESS and she got a level 4 for her stsq :dance:

There's no points for a double jump out of steps for short? Like Mirai would say.....Whaaaaat? But then again, this makes it sound a bit more promising ironically. IF she manages to land it then the score will seem so much more decent.:dance:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I was wondering also ... why is a double lutz called invalid?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
There's no points for a double jump out of steps for short? Like Mirai would say.....Whaaaaat? But then again, this makes it sound a bit more promising ironically. IF she manages to land it then the score will seem so much more decent.:dance:

What's interesting is that the Lutz is after the middle mark. I will assume that she is not used to doing the jump in the second half.

Yeah level 4 stsq is a totally surprise for me as well. at live stream, I thought her steps is kinda sloppy.:p
But she only get level 1 for fly sit spin!:hopelessness:

Sloppiness is the issue but there are improvements on her fluidity. She's more in tempo here throughout the program than in the Rondo SP. And yes, that level 1 spin is :hopelessness:. She probably didn't do enough positions. I would really like for her to change her layback spin. Maybe a donut spin instead?

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Rondo SP stsq is at the most difficult tempo place of that music (blame David, he can place that stsq at an easier tempo place for that music). This time, the music tempo is easier for stsq. I wish to see some sorta of bouncy rhythms(knees) just like the rhythms of the music in this stsq in the future. That would be perfect.
some fans discussed her problem for lv 1 spin. My conclusion is that, her fly feature is death drop. there is no sit position in the air for death drop entry of fly sit spin, for fly feature to be counted as a level, there has to be a sit air position (like her swan sp fly sit spin entry). Therefore, she lost a level there.
She lost another feature, possibly due to that her sit position is not low enough.
Layback spin is a required element for lady SP I assume? She cannot change it to a donut spin which is camel. But she can definitely change her layback positions... Hers are not very good:hopelessness:

randomfan

Record Breaker
I just saw her program right now. I find it a good and promising program! I remember first seeing Rika's programs last season and they improved so much throughout the whole season. I think So Youn is capable of doing that too.

As for the elements, it was disappointing to see that the ISU are really getting more strict every year. With that double rule, now it probably means popping a jump is much more costly and can get one of the top skaters out of medal contention. Anyways, I think So Youn had a solid SP debut here. The GOE for the jumps seemed much lower than they should've been. And ugh, the level 1 spin...and as for the layback it's going to be so hard for her now without the bielmann (is this how you spell it?). Now she can't get a level 4 anymore :( I hope she does what most of the Japanese skaters do - take the layback spin out of the free skate. But I guess it may be difficult to do that.

I hope she skates her FS well tomorrow. Unlike the SP I can watch the live stream this time so I'll be cheering!

Last edited:

clippers8200

On the Ice
I really think it's a promising program. Why did SoYoun stop doing the Beilman position? Her layback looked really good last year - good flexibility and speed, so I'm not sure what happened over the summer...

Warwick360

Medalist
As for the elements, it was disappointing to see that the ISU are really getting more strict every year. With that double rule, now it probably means popping a jump is much more costly and can get one of the top skaters out of medal contention. Anyways, I think So Youn had a solid SP debut here. The GOE for the jumps seemed much lower than they should've been. And ugh, the level 1 spin...and as for the layback it's going to be so hard for her now without the bielmann (is this how you spell it?). Now she can't get a level 4 anymore :( I hope she does what most of the Japanese skaters do - take the layback spin out of the free skate. But I guess it may be difficult to do that.

While the double rule is a concern, I think you're overreacting a bit on layback. I think she did the same at the beginning of the last season which made me wonder if she had ditched the Biellmann. But then it was back starting from her first Grand Prix of the season. So I think I'd wait a bit longer before I jumped to conclusion.

As for the sit spin, isn't flying camel the alternative? Did she decide to change it because of the wonkiness in the previous season, I wonder.