So-Youn Park | Page 35 | Golden Skate

So-Youn Park

yyyskate

Record Breaker
IIRC, her last season SP. lutz + fly camel passage is her most insecure place. usually make mistakes there. I was guessing that is the reason she is doing fly-sit here again. If she changed it into fly camel again, her last change foot combination spin may also need to be changed. I am not sure...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
So with level 4 fly sit spin, add 2 points
3lz, 6 points it adds up to 8 to 10 points depends on GOEs

Her transition score seems low 4.75 to 6.5
Wonder what he can do to improve this. The max she can score with improving PCS, is around 60-65?

randomfan

Record Breaker
While the double rule is a concern, I think you're overreacting a bit on layback. I think she did the same at the beginning of the last season which made me wonder if she had ditched the Biellmann. But then it was back starting from her first Grand Prix of the season. So I think I'd wait a bit longer before I jumped to conclusion.

As for the sit spin, isn't flying camel the alternative? Did she decide to change it because of the wonkiness in the previous season, I wonder.

Oh oops. I just watched her Asian Trophy skates from last season and she didn't do the Biellmann. Thanks for clarifying.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
So with level 4 fly sit spin, add 2 points
3lz, 6 points it adds up to 8 to 10 points depends on GOEs

Her transition score seems low 4.75 to 6.5
Wonder what he can do to improve this. The max she can score with improving PCS, is around 60-65?

in terms of transitions, I do think she has more in-between moves this time. but her direct entry is not as difficult. she had butterfly entry to her fly camel (and directly after lutz). and her 2A is 2 brackets in a row on one leg (she later changed into 2 choctaw) and right into lay-back spin (lay-back speed up with music as well), which is more difficult than her current 2A entry (her current 2a has plenty of steps in front but no direct difficult entry). also, her previous final spin is right after a difficult/risky stsp, maybe more difficult for her current final spin after 2A, But her current 2A had a beautiful exit choreo right before final spin, also very nice. Her current layout, all elements are spread evenly, many moves in-between, but direct entry and exit is relatively safe for her.
If judged by number of moves in the field, she should get higher transition mark. if judged by hidden difficulty her Rondo SP is much more difficult.
Also, her rando choreo music timing is quite difficult many pitfalls (David choreo trademark).

EDIT: I checked communication again, and realized that back entry could be counted as a level feature. but when soyoun does it in her fly sit, her first 2 rev is not in a good sit position (two high). maybe she lost that level too?

Last edited:

dna5019

Final Flight
Good luck today, So Youn! Just focus on skating clean for now, and good things will come in time! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

randomfan

Record Breaker
So Youn finished 4th! Pretty solid. But I've heard that when skaters do not skate their best at the beginning of the season they tend to get better later! Hoping for a better result at SA!

Eclair

Medalist
very mature new programms, soyoun! Keep going! Like her new SP and FS very much!

Still I feel like something is missing in her skating .. it's more apparent when the camera is farer away - maybe it's the speed, I don't know, but I feel that some skaters have a presence on ice, while others (including soyoun) don't. Yuna obviously had that presence, hanyu has it, Gracie and Ashley have it, zijun li used to not have it, but I think this year she's got it, kanako never had it (sadly), even though she was very fast on the ice..., even Adelina has it.... But I can't figure out yet, what exactly it is that Soyoun's skating is lacking.
If I had to describe it, I would say, she's not feeling that she owns the rink, but that's not a really good explanation.

dna5019

Final Flight
very mature new programms, soyoun! Keep going! Like her new SP and FS very much!

Still I feel like something is missing in her skating .. it's more apparent when the camera is farer away - maybe it's the speed, I don't know, but I feel that some skaters have a presence on ice, while others (including soyoun) don't. Yuna obviously had that presence, hanyu has it, Gracie and Ashley have it, zijun li used to not have it, but I think this year she's got it, kanako never had it (sadly), even though she was very fast on the ice..., even Adelina has it.... But I can't figure out yet, what exactly it is that Soyoun's skating is lacking.
If I had to describe it, I would say, she's not feeling that she owns the rink, but that's not a really good explanation.
I think it's just a lack of confidence? There's definitely a difference when you compare her competitive programs to her exhibition skates. When she competes, she looks very nervous and unsure of herself, which in turn, affects her skating. But in her exhibitions, when she's relaxed, she really comes to life; she has a very calming and beautiful presence. :love:

There could be more to it than that of course, but it's certainly a big one. I'm hoping she can get her nerves under control and deliver this season. Her programs really are lovely. :yes:

andyjo24

Medalist
So Youn's Broadcast Version for FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8CKGuDm1E

What So Youn is lacking is confidence. She needs to attack each element and move, but it seems she's not confident yet. I mean, look at her 2014 Worlds performance, it was very confident and I wouldn't call it lacking presence. She just needs to get that back.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I feel like the concept/theme of Red Violin is kinda out of my realm. So I will reserve my comments until further outing. I have watched the movie before. I loved the journey of the instrument. which is reflected in her music arrangement. We can indeed feel the variation of the violin tones like a journey. I especially love this somehow astringency in the undertone of some parts of the violin. it suits her, feel different from the violin in Yuna's Lark or the violin in Alaine's GWTW.
Tech wise, I wish Soyoun can improve her spins and skating skills.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Her programs this season contrasts nicely and are very thoughtful. For her short, it is humanistic. Emotional, dramatics nuaounces of ups and downs. Poetic Greek tragedy. Passion, Emotion, grinds of life's drama.

For the FS, she need to personify some ethereal enigmatic quality like the Red Violin in the story rather than one of humanistic approach. There must be a bigger than life quality, sense of legacy, legend, something ancient, universal, transcending words or human communication. More, fire, confidence, maybe bit of that Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich quality, Diva goddess personification. Really take on the role of supernatural beings encompassing the spirit of the ancient violin, wise beyond years, beyond mortal understanding or affiliation. She must let technique become second nature to her, effortless. Sharper, bigger with clarity, better skating skill supremacy will all add much necessity to portray a superior ancient instrument convincingly. There must be no room for apologetic or humility even if she fails on the elements in the performance. Musicality wise, she can really pay attention how she can gesture her arm movements much like a sharp strike of violin notes, that Yuna maximise in her Turadot, very effective useto highlight the dramatic notes to give the program impact and shape.

I wonder what did Kiira said about her in the Finlandia commentory. I heard something about Yuna Kim.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Tech wise, I wish Soyoun can improve her spins and skating skills.

I think this would be better worked on she actually switches coach.

Annyyywaaay, I am not exactly a fan of her LP yet. I think she needs some (or more) dynamo to make the program work. It has great potential but I'm liking her SP way more at the moment.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^dynamo => spin speed, step sequence highlights and effectiveness. Perhaps...
I have watched her FS a couple of times now. I feel it is a program that needs regurgitate. Her R&J program is many people's first love. Honestly, among Chinese fans, the general opinion is that R&J is better. There is more music/choreo connection in her R&J program and easily draw audience in (I just report opinion here).
Seems fans initial impression here towards her red violin is also mixed.

Coaching change I don't know.:hopelessness:

Also, most fans adore her new SP.
I am against reuse old program!! just wish she can skate red violin to the maxium in the future.

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
I liked So Youn's program the best of the top three freeskates. I thought she was the most fluid in seamlessly incorporating her jumps into the choreography and I liked her smooth entrances, air position and the flair of her arms and body on exit to her jumps. Elegant and dramatic pirouettes and intricate and dramatic dance steps that match the intriguing music. Very nice awareness and control of body position and beautiful use of her arms, with no random flailing. I know she stepped out of the 3f but it was just one hiccup. I am not saying it is great but for me it was compelling. I really like this dramatic side of her and I have to admit her bright red outfit, appearance and presentation in this program is very photogenic which is helped even more by her grace.

I do not understand why her score is so low especially in PCS, and several others have already mentioned it on her video. It seems to me she is really expanding into new avenues of expression with more nuanced interpretation and complex choreography. I am not into extremely extroverted performance style so her more contained presentation actually draws me in more because it seems more genuine. I wish she had a little more speed, deeper edges and greater rink coverage, but none of this bothered me that much in her performance. In fact, I really enjoyed it and look forward to seeing So Youn perform this LP again.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
^^dynamo => spin speed, step sequence highlights and effectiveness. Perhaps...
I have watched her FS a couple of times now. I feel it is a program that needs regurgitate. Her R&J program is many people's first love. Honestly, among Chinese fans, the general opinion is that R&J is better. There is more music/choreo connection in her R&J program and easily draw audience in (I just report opinion here).
Seems fans initial impression here towards her red violin is also mixed.

Coaching change I don't know.:hopelessness:

Also, most fans adore her new SP.
I am against reuse old program!! just wish she can skate red violin to the maxium in the future.

Red Violin is a harder to sell than Romeo and Juliet. In that nothing is obvious or straightforward, and there are alot of work to do for the performer than R&J where the music has built in emotions and slushy strings already. Easier to take. This is almost like a character piece without a central theme except to the performer's own interpretation of every music phrase as it comes. It is precisely these intangibles that can make it hard program to conquer and deliver.

I am surprised they picked Red Violin actually, it is not an obvious young skater's program. After age 21 may be.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Also, I think OS' artistic direction suggestion is quite spot on.
"she can really pay attention how she can gesture her arm movements much like a sharp strike of violin notes," which she did this time but just some of her arm movement.
Also the quality OS described in detail about Red Violin is exactly something Soyoun lacks I think. Sorta like what Eclair pointed out in previous posts.

Meoima

Match Penalty
So Youn's Broadcast Version for FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8CKGuDm1E

What So Youn is lacking is confidence. She needs to attack each element and move, but it seems she's not confident yet. I mean, look at her 2014 Worlds performance, it was very confident and I wouldn't call it lacking presence. She just needs to get that back.
She looks so pretty in red. I agree she lacks confidence. Maybe at WC 2014 she didn't think of medal and spot, just went out there and enjoy the skate so she did that well. So I hope she will push away all the expectation and stress. Just go out and enjoy and she will be great. Maybe a coaching change, or some visit to sport psychologist.
I like her new programs more than last season.