Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin

Mattieu

Medalist
Don't get too excited about this couple, the early reports indicate that they are nothing special :(
It would appear that Nikita and Elena were only special together.

chameleon

On the Ice
Do you have sources for these reports? I would like to see them. They have been together for five months, if they are truly "nothing special" it is to be expected. Chock Bates were "nothing special" their first season either, and now they are big contenders for Worlds in their fourth season together. I won't worry quite yet.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
No one has seen their new programs yet. I'd rather ignore this poster because the "nothing special" message is being repeated all over again. Wait and see them live before drawing any conclusions.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
One of the "nothing special" reports was Olga Ermolina who is the press secretary for the Russian fed. I will add that she did say that their problems can be fixed before their Grand Prix.

It is pretty telling they skipped the open skates though

chameleon

On the Ice
And, once again, it's been five months. It would truly remarkable if they were something special by now. I would prefer to see them with my own eyes to gauge their potential for success. Which we won't get a chance to do till November. As it will be their first season together, there is bound to be a lack of unison and so on. But just because they are nothing special right this moment does not mean they will never be. I never expected them to be winning World medals right out of the gate. Let's wait and see.

alithia

Final Flight
It's a great mix and match from various russian forums ranging from March till today.

If people expect to have I/K back in some form, sorry it's not possible, and if a person wants to see the new ones as nothing special cause they're still grieving for the loss of I/K, they will forever see them as nothing special.
Of course to talk about the personal life of skaters one day, the next day about looks, and then about skating is a belated reaction. When people will see I/Z people will understand what they are and what they can do.
For me it's a bit strange to think that skaters of that caliber can be that bad and to be honest I don't like it when in a fan fest thread,people enter to say how bad someone is to people that like them.

But I noticed that after I/Z finally talked together in an interview, some people got angry.It's what we call...reality strikes.
I personally don't expect anything remarkable, special, over special, cause I know what to expect.But I have a good feeling about it.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
And, once again, it's been five months. It would truly remarkable if they were something special by now. I would prefer to see them with my own eyes to gauge their potential for success. Which we won't get a chance to do till November. As it will be their first season together, there is bound to be a lack of unison and so on. But just because they are nothing special right this moment does not mean they will never be. I never expected them to be winning World medals right out of the gate. Let's wait and see.

I agree with this. As Elena stated in the interview, her past competitive record with Nikita doesn't matter. Her and Ruslan as well as Nikita/Vika are starting from scratch. The past is irrelevant and so are the test skates. The only think that does matter is how her and Ruslan will do at the Grand Prix. They have time to make adjustments so no worries.

Alba

Record Breaker
If people expect to have I/K back in some form, sorry it's not possible, and if a person wants to see the new ones as nothing special cause they're still grieving for the loss of I/K, they will forever see them as nothing special.

This. :thumbsup:

It takes time, especially for fans, to adjust to a new reality. It is normal.
It is not normal though, and I'm repeating myself, to put people's work and commitment into question.
That's something which I can't tolerate (not that it matters to anyone), and I find disgusting.

As per the new couple, as Elena said (and MK's Winter pointed out here) they're starting from scratch.
She is right. It will take a lot of time. It may work or not, but they need time. That's for sure.

What is special and what is not, that depends in our expectations and perception.
If people had high expectations at this stage, and expected to see I&K 2.0, they were deluded, then.

C&B were brought as an example here, and for me they're nothing special still now.
I find more special and with more potential Hubbell&Donohue, for example.
I tell you more. There is not a single Ice Dance couple, right now, that I can truly say "they are special", or "remarkable".

There are couples which I like, or I can see so much potential. But none that I can say: WOW!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am sure if Lena and Ruslan try their best together until they are 29 years old, they can get medals at worlds and Olympic. They have the talents. If they are patient enough. The key when it comes to ice dancing is patience and working hard. :)

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
This. :thumbsup: It takes time, especially for fans, to adjust to a new reality. It is normal. It is not normal though, and I'm repeating myself, to put people's work and commitment into question. That's something which I can't tolerate (not that it matters to anyone), and I find disgusting. As per the new couple, as Elena said (and MK's Winter pointed out here) they're starting from scratch. She is right. It will take a lot of time. It may work or not, but they need time. That's for sure. What is special and what is not, that depends in our expectations and perception. If people had high expectations at this stage, and expected to see I&K 2.0, they were deluded, then. C&B were brought as an example here, and for me they're nothing special still now. I find more special and with more potential Hubbell&Donohue, for example. I tell you more. There is not a single Ice Dance couple, right now, that I can truly say "they are special", or "remarkable". There are couples which I like, or I can see so much potential. But none that I can say: WOW!

I don't think I/Z will be unremarkable. I believe they both have star power. They were the ones who shined on their former teams. I agree when you say people I/K 2.0, but it's not going to be that way. I think Elena and Ruslan are working hard to build themselves as team and that's all we can ask for. Their preparation this Summer has been intense and if they continue to work and build of that I truly believe sky's the limit.

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't think I/Z will be unremarkable. I believe they both have star power. They were the ones who shined on their former teams. I agree when you say people I/K 2.0, but it's not going to be that way. I think Elena and Ruslan are working hard to build themselves as team and that's all we can ask for. Their preparation this Summer has been intense and if they continue to work and build of that I truly believe sky's the limit.

I completely agree. I haven't seen them, but as you said, they were the ones who shined on their former teams and they're working really hard now. I'm very optimistic.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I completely agree. I haven't seen them, but as you said, they were the ones who shined on their former teams and they're working really hard now. I'm very optimistic.

They are a big reason I'm considering buying event tickets at worlds in Boston for. I haven't been excited about a dance team in forever.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I think it's too early to tell whether a team has potential or not. However, the fact remains both teams seem to be far from ready. It doesn't mean both teams are doomed. Using pairs as an example, Petrova and Tikhonov were world champs within two years while Ina and Zimmerman were a trainwreck their first two seasons. Ina and Zimmerman ended up surpassing Petrova and Tikhonov by the time SLC rolled around. But it will be a miracle if they look anything close to a medal winning team right now.

chameleon

On the Ice
There is only so ready you can be in a few months. It was said that their problems are fixable, so for me their major obstacle is time. Their GPs aren't till November, of course they aren't ready yet. The Deputy Sports Minister liked what he saw. And I don't see anyone here claiming that they're going to win all the medals and do extraordinarily well. While we would love that, the expectation is not to see a completely polished team, but rather see the potential for one. So I don't see why you keep talking about how they aren't remarkable right now when no one expected that they'd win Worlds their first season or something like that.

I've been using Chock/Bates as an example because they are the most recent example of a successful team after only a couple seasons. In their first, they did not medal. In their second, they claimed silver at Nationals and placed 7th at Worlds. All this while, in my mind, facing more obstacles than I/Z(height difference, Evan having been out for a year healing). So, yes, I am optimistic about their chances. But I don't expect them to be amazing this season, and I don't know why anyone would. They still need time to gel, but I believe that once they do, they will be something special.

Finally, I do not understand why you find the need to go into I/Z' s Fan Thread to talk about how unremarkable they are. There are many teams I find unremarkable or dislike, but I don't go into their fan threads to spread negativity.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I'm not saying they are unremarkable. Like 99% of the population, I haven't seen them. But I think a lot of people here are also being a little delusional about how good they are going to be when the Grand Prix rolls around and are getting wound up by the fact that they may not be that good right now. And when a respected longtime FSU poster posts negative feedback, then OMG, its a conspiracy.

So they are not good right now. Nobody except Katsalapov and Zueva really believe a new couple can be world champ quality after a few months. Even Elena, the coaches, Averbukh understand they are starting from scratch

chameleon

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure most of us are aware that the first season will not be spectacular. And even if we are delusional and think they're going to win Worlds in their first season together, what do you care? Kindly stay out of the fan thread if you have nothing positive to contribute. There are much more appropriate places you could make your arguments than a thread dedicated to people looking forwards to this pairing.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure most of us are aware that the first season will not be spectacular. And even if we are delusional and think they're going to win Worlds in their first season together, what do you care? Kindly stay out of the fan thread if you have nothing positive to contribute. There are much more appropriate places you could make your arguments than a thread dedicated to people looking forwards to this pairing.

This:agree: This is a happy space. All this negative innuendo toward I/Z can go in the S/K thread, misery (aka skyfly20) needs company. Please don't be too harsh on me, I just couldn't resist.:slink:

And by the way who are we calling average? Ruslan? I might not argue if you said that about his looks, but he is in no way an average skater. IMHO, he doesn't need looks, he is a beautiful ice dancer. Lena and Rus just need TIME. Time..

Alba

Record Breaker
Finally, I do not understand why you find the need to go into I/Z' s Fan Thread to talk about how unremarkable they are. There are many teams I find unremarkable or dislike, but I don't go into their fan threads to spread negativity.

I think there is a misunderstanding. Nobody said, here, they are unremarkable, whatever that means right now.
I brought a report from a third party and we were discussing about that.
I understand this is a fan fest, but we should be able to talk about these things in a fan fest also.
Where are we going to discuss it, open a new topic for any news or rumors?
IMO, it's better to talk here about all things regarding our fav. skaters no?

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
I think there is a misunderstanding here. Nobody said here they are unremarkable, whatever that means right now.
I brought a report from a third party and we were discussing about that.
I understand this is a fan fest, but we should be able to talk about these things in a fan fest also.
Where are we going to discuss it, open a new topic for any news or rumors?
IMO, it's better to talk here about all things regarding our fav. skaters no?

Thank you. If all people want to do is talk about how cute they are together, there is already tumblr for that. All I did was point out that the negative reviews were coming from either a federation official who wasn't afraid to use her name and a respected FSU poster, and were not a rumor started by some teenie in love with Nikita. And I am just being a realist here. And as I've said in my other posts, the fact they are not good now does not mean they won't be good down the road. If Ina and Zimmerman could make it to a world podium and actually be interesting in the process, there is hope for any couple.

starlight97

Final Flight
A fan-fest can be misunderstood.

Fans and haters have a lot in common. They both tend to turn blind for the person they are about.
Haters become unable to see anything good in a skater and fans become delusional and lose objectivity.

It would be very scary if you couldn't write into the fan fest of your favorite skater if it's anything but praise!
These threads should be used to discuss a skater.
For example I love Elena and these two are my favorite couple already, but nonetheless I should be allowed to voice concerns or say "Well usually I love them but this and that wasn't good imo"
It should be there to share knowledge and opinions about the skater :)