Keegan Messing to skate for Canada - New Info Feb 2015 Just posted | Golden Skate

Keegan Messing to skate for Canada - New Info Feb 2015 Just posted

statmam

On the Ice
Sorry to hear this. The first time I saw him as a junior I thought he might win the U.S. Senior National Championships some day. That hasn't happened, but I enjoy his energetic programs, and his quads have such spring to them. Of course, the yo-yo tricks are a bonus.

I'm just glad Keegan will still be competing! Good luck to him in Canada!

I feel bad for Tonichelle. Keegan skated for Alaska, and now he's gone all the way across the border. I wish him the best of luck, though! I hope he moves up quickly.

noskates

Record Breaker
Have never been too impressed with him - although he certainly has the athletic ability. I wonder if getting away from Ralph Burghardt will help him to improve his basic skating skills and choreography. Good luck to him.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I guess he will have less competition than in the United States, but he'll still have quite a bit of competition here. Is he any better than Firus, Balde, Rogozine, Ten, Nguyen et al?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! I didn't see this coming. I :love: Keegan's skating, and will continue to cheer him on. He usually does the Liberty Summer Competition, but unfortunately is injured, so he won't be doing it this week.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
Have never been too impressed with him - although he certainly has the athletic ability. I wonder if getting away from Ralph Burghardt will help him to improve his basic skating skills and choreography. Good luck to him.

He is not leaving Ralph

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I guess he will have less competition than in the United States, but he'll still have quite a bit of competition here. Is he any better than Firus, Balde, Rogozine, Ten, Nguyen et al?

Doesn't Canada alaso have Reynolds who was fifth I believe at world's in 2013. Not sure if Nam is much competition especially since he has grown.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Doesn't Canada alaso have Reynolds who was fifth I believe at world's in 2013. Not sure if Nam is much competition especially since he has grown.

I think the assumption is that Messing will not be competitive to Reynolds and he is mainly gunning for the second spot.

vlaurend

Final Flight
How did he manage to switch countries in just one year? Does he have dual U.S./Canadian citizenship due to one of his parents being Canadian?

jace93

On the Ice
I think the assumption is that Messing will not be competitive to Reynolds and he is mainly gunning for the second spot.

I would say that right now he isn't even competitive with Nguyen(who not only has right now more credit with the judges but also much more backing within the federation since he is more or less the only future prospect in men's skating for Canada), so if Chan doesn't compete next year he could try to win that third spot, but if Patrick is skating then I'm pretty sure his better prospect is a spot for 4cc or maybe on the GP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I would say that right now he isn't even competitive with Nguyen(who not only has right now more credit with the judges but also much more backing within the federation since he is more or less the only future prospect in men's skating for Canada), so if Chan doesn't compete next year he could try to win that third spot, but if Patrick is skating then I'm pretty sure his better prospect is a spot for 4cc or maybe on the GP

There is no third spot. Nam and Reynolds did not place well enough for three spots. So there are two. So yes, 4CC or GP is more likely at this point.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
There is no third spot. Nam and Reynolds did not place well enough for three spots. So there are two. So yes, 4CC or GP is more likely at this point.

Oh right, there is no third spot for Worlds. For some reason I had forgot that Chan wasn't there this past season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
A recent interview with Keegan.

http://www.sherwoodparknews.com/2015/02/19/keegan-not-messing-around

Keegan, by placing fifth at Canadian Nationals, should get some funding as a member of the Canadian National team, and international assignments next season.

Apparently, Keegan has always intended to skate for Canada.

I’m excited,” he said. “I am starting back at zero, building my world points back up again. I can’t wait to start. I’ve had major boot problems the last couple years, but I am in a pair of skates right now that I really like. I was only in these boots for four weeks before nationals and I started landing triple axels consistently again.

“I feel like I am getting back to where I should be. I have a quad toe and a quad toe-triple toe and am working on triple lutz-quad toe combination. I am hoping for the best.”

Messing also had the chance to work with world-renowned coach, choreographer and dance instructor Mitch Millar at the recent SPFSC seminar in Sherwood Park

noskates

Record Breaker
This seems like sort of a desperate move to me. I don't think Keegan has the goods to compete on an international level......sorry!