Need some skate/boot info for a fairly new skater | Golden Skate

Need some skate/boot info for a fairly new skater

KristenK

Rinkside
Hi All. I'm looking on some help with on information on beginner/Recreation skates. I just decide to get back to skating at least once or twice a month for some exercise by going to my local rink for plubic skate on the weekends. I do have a old pair or reidell's that I had since late 90's (1997 maybe) that are a size 9. I know back then when wore them the sides of arches hurt when I skated in them after 15 minutes. So, I'm looking on getting a new pair skates. I did try calling some of my local rinks to see if they do fittings but, none of them do them anymore other than me putting my foot on the measure stick and the pro shop guy telling that I don't trusts those things.

I do have low to no arches on my feet with wide feet (around the ball my foot measures about 9 1/2). I do have the roman foot shape (toes slanting down from the toe next to the big toe.
I do measure a 7 in a reidell skate but, can't fit my foot in the boot. So, I was thinking on getting the Reidell Horizon in a size 9. I do have yellow superfeet to put in and are the Horizon's heat molding??

Just need a little more help/info!!!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi All. I'm looking on some help with on information on beginner/Recreation skates. I just decide to get back to skating at least once or twice a month for some exercise by going to my local rink for plubic skate on the weekends. I do have a old pair or reidell's that I had since late 90's (1997 maybe) that are a size 9. I know back then when wore them the sides of arches hurt when I skated in them after 15 minutes. So, I'm looking on getting a new pair skates. I did try calling some of my local rinks to see if they do fittings but, none of them do them anymore other than me putting my foot on the measure stick and the pro shop guy telling that I don't trusts those things.

I do have low to no arches on my feet with wide feet (around the ball my foot measures about 9 1/2). I do have the roman foot shape (toes slanting down from the toe next to the big toe.
I do measure a 7 in a reidell skate but, can't fit my foot in the boot. So, I was thinking on getting the Reidell Horizon in a size 9. I do have yellow superfeet to put in and are the Horizon's heat molding??

Just need a little more help/info!!!!!
hi and welcome! With your foot description, you need a Jackson boot.

What is your height/weight so we can suggest a proper stiffness boot for you.

KristenK

Rinkside
I’m 43 and my height is about 5’7 and my weight is around 255lbs. I was also looking into getting Jacksons since i read that jacksons has wider toe boxes

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m 43 and my height is about 5’7 and my weight is around 255lbs. I was also looking into getting Jacksons since i read that jacksons has wider toe boxes
No stock set is going to work for your stats, they will simply not be stiff enough.

KristenK

Rinkside
No stock set is going to work for your stats, they will simply not be stiff enough.
I figure that. All im just want is something to just skate around during public skate at local rink. Not looking to do anything fancy like spins or take a class.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It doesn't matter what you plan on doing in them. The rec skate sets are not going to be stiff enough for you based on height/weight.
The highest stiffness of Jackson set is the freestyle at 40/45 stiffness. You'd break them down too quickly even skating around in circles, and I'd hate to see you injure yourself. But feel free to do as you wish.

silverlily1

On the Ice
Okay, so since you haven't really been given an answer, I'll try to give something. For just skating around, try Jackson Debut boots.

For blades, you won't need a lot. A Jackson Ultima Mirage or Aspire XP will be fine. Maybe even a Mark IV. But if you decide to take lessons you may have to upgrade your boots and blades sooner than you might otherwise want to. Those aren't great blades for spins or turns. (I do know a lightweight 12-year-old doing axels and beginner doubles on Mark IVs, but she has no idea what she's missing - she will as soon as she gets new boots, very soon, and I expect there will be a massive jump in skill level with that change.) These boots will also break down faster than higher level/stiffness boots once you get to the stage of starting to jump or bend.

Your boots should be tight. Snug. Not cutting off circulation, not squishing your toes, but snug. Your boot can always be punched out by your fitter to accommodate tight points from side to side (not in length, but everywhere else). Punching out is preferable to getting a larger boot. So I'm not sure why you would want to jump up two whole sizes just because the size you measure to is too tight. Half a size up is more appropriate. Jacksons come in multiple widths as well, so aim to get the proper width rather than adding length to make the overall skate bigger (and the boot now getting too long).

You will want to go to a proper figure skate fitter. Don't trust an arena skate shop to mount and sharpen your blade. Proper blade alignment is important for safe skating, and a hockey sharpener shouldn't be trusted to sharpen figure skate blades.

You will be so much better off than wearing those worn-out, dull rentals. Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay, so since you haven't really been given an answer, I'll try to give something. For just skating around, try Jackson Debut boots.

For blades, you won't need a lot. A Jackson Ultima Mirage or Aspire XP will be fine. Maybe even a Mark IV. But if you decide to take lessons you may have to upgrade your boots and blades sooner than you might otherwise want to. Those aren't great blades for spins or turns. (I do know a lightweight 12-year-old doing axels and beginner doubles on Mark IVs, but she has no idea what she's missing - she will as soon as she gets new boots, very soon, and I expect there will be a massive jump in skill level with that change.) These boots will also break down faster than higher level/stiffness boots once you get to the stage of starting to jump or bend.

Your boots should be tight. Snug. Not cutting off circulation, not squishing your toes, but snug. Your boot can always be punched out by your fitter to accommodate tight points from side to side (not in length, but everywhere else). Punching out is preferable to getting a larger boot. So I'm not sure why you would want to jump up two whole sizes just because the size you measure to is too tight. Half a size up is more appropriate. Jacksons come in multiple widths as well, so aim to get the proper width rather than adding length to make the overall skate bigger (and the boot now getting too long).

You will want to go to a proper figure skate fitter. Don't trust an arena skate shop to mount and sharpen your blade. Proper blade alignment is important for safe skating, and a hockey sharpener shouldn't be trusted to sharpen figure skate blades.

You will be so much better off than wearing those worn-out, dull rentals. Good luck!
The OP has stated they are 255 lbs. There is no way a Debut will be stiff enough.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
You can get Jackson boots in a range of widths as well as lengths, but their boot-and-blade sets for recreational skating are not going to be stiff enough for you. If we seem to be pushing you to spend more than you want for stiffer boots, it's because we're concerned about you getting injured in weak boots intended for children. I was rinkside one day idly watching a public session while waiting for someone, and saw a man lacing his wife's new skates up right out of the box. When she stood up, I saw she was much taller than I (I'm about 5'3"). She wobbled to the gate, holding her husband's hand, and he helped her onto the ice. I don't think she took more than two strokes before her ankles buckled underneath her and down she went. When last seen, she was being taken off the ice on a stretcher to an ambulance. The rink manager told me the next day he'd heard she had broken an ankle and torn ligaments in her knee. Please :pray: look into boots in as high a stiffness level as you can get, for your safety's sake!

KristenK

Rinkside
Right now i’ve only skated in my old riedell’s that are at least 25 years old (i don’t even remember the model of them) once 2 weeks ago after not skating for about 11 years and i did a lot of skating when i was in high school back in the late 90’s when i got my reidells just going once a week for public skating in the winters. Anyway I normally like to going skating in fall/winter.