Which would you choose: OSM or WGM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The original question was OSM or WGM. Singular. Not OSM vs WGMs. If the Olympic medal can go to someone who simply won on one night, can't that be said the same of the World medal?

The point is that for a medal that is contested every year there will be a better feel or representation of the best figure skaters of that era. Sure there can be an upset here or there but not four years straight...right? If two Olympics in a row are flukes....that is nearly a decade worth of OGM's :eek:

I guess the question would be, which would you rather have, four world gold medals or four Olympic silver medals. :biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess the question would be, which would you rather have, four world gold medals or four Olympic silver medals. :biggrin:

Nope.....

Would you rather have four Silver Olympic Medals or sixteen Gold World Medals. Right. :p

TBH I can see the argument that a skater has only one shot at an Olympic Medal vs four shots at a World Medal during a quad so in that light it does make a case for the Olmpic medal for some I'm sure. It's just not as important to me which is probably due to a warped thought process.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
If you put it that way, then Olympic silver seems more valuable. It is much, much harder to stay in shape for the minimum 12 years needed to achieve that, compared to the minimum four years to achieve four World titles. If you have four Olympic medals, at some point the colour ceases to matter. The only problem is, the scenario is completely hypothetical. I can't imagine how someone can medal at four Olympics yet have no World titles. They'd need to have preternaturally bad luck at Worlds, or preternaturally good luck at the Olympics.

Hmm, maybe there is a diminishing returns for World medals, whereas the exact opposite is true of Olympic ones--purely due to how far apart the Olympics are.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Brian Orser always listed as 2 times Olympic sliver medalist, not World champion :laugh:

And as I read his wiki for now I just notice, his first student had a greater competitive career than him :eek:

Anyway, for me WGM > OSM :biggrin:

mich2

Match Penalty
I don't deny that Yuna won it thanks to her PCS.
I just don't agree with those who feel unformtable with her win while saying OK to Mao's WGM2008.
Because your information is incorrect. These two wins are uncomparable. Yuna had TES disadvantage in LP 2010. But she won. Mao didnt have TES disadvantage over a lower placed skate. Her TES was 2 in SP, she was 2 in SP. Her TES was 2 in LP, she was 2 in LP. Yunas TES was 2 in LP 2010 but she was 1 in LP. These are facts. You may repeat endlessly whatever you wish but it wont change the facts. Your dragging thid thread into 2008 has no merit. I respect your frastration over the controversial win of your skatet but take it easy! ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Brian Orser always listed as 2 times Olympic sliver medalist, not World champion :laugh:
He only won one Worlds. One-time World champion obviously looks kinda lame compared to two-time Olympic silver medallist.

I agree that Olympic medals (whatever the colour) are definitely important. Heck, even Kurt Browning is sometimes introduced as "Olympian" even though his actual success at the Olympics was :slink: But in the case of Kurt or Michelle, their World titles do get a mention unless they're being introduced in an Olympic setting.

And as I read his wiki for now I just notice, [Brian Orser's] first student had a greater competitive career than him :eek:

That is the goal and joy of every teacher -- to take greater pride in the achievements of your students than in your own. (You don't usually get there on the first try, though. :) )

Alain

Match Penalty
I don't want to keep flogging this same poor horse, but, really, you need to let this 2.25 thing go.

This is not a rule, it is a fact. In some jumps the skater is actually in the air for only 2.25 revolutions, yet the jump is scored as fully rotated. The evidence for this fact is clear from the videos of almost any competition. For others, depending ion the take-off, more revolutions, up to 2.75, are required.
:confused: I know that. I wrote that: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...work-in-the-FS&p=959855&viewfull=1#post959855
If you tell me to let the trick go when some fans want to give their skater a free to go card on more than 1/4 landing with no <, then my answer is no. I don't need to explain why. It's simply against the rule.

You can compute it by adding up the TES scores from the SP and LP protocols. Then you can add up the PCSs. Then you add the two totals together. Highest number of points wins.
Thanks. :)
The "invalid term" here means cannot be legally used. The general Added up TES or PCS can be the subject of investigation only in case of miscalculation. If hypothetically speaking the Worlds 2008 results or any results end up on the table of arbitration, the Added up TES or PCS as such won't be there. Two protocols- SP and LP, will enjoy the honor. Then both of them will be examined seperately as two independent events.
This used to be the case under ordinal judging. Now it is one competition with a day's break between the first half and the second.

Which system is better, the old or the new? I don't dare give my opinion for fear of being called a "mathematician". ;)
If you ask me, I am not interested in comparing two systems. I don't find it productive or constructive. What's the point. The 6.0 system is gone forever, there is no way back. I choose to live the future.

Alain

Match Penalty
Oh my god... Mao had a 0.01 TES advantage in the LP. She had a fall. That more than cancels out this "TES advantage" that you keep bringing up. Her SP TES was lower than Caro's by over a point. She most certainly edged out Caro due to PCS. This is one of the flimsiest arguments about "winning through TES" that I've ever read.
You two are arguing about two different things. You simply do the maths: if the skater A has 1 point TES advantage and 2 points PCS advantage, you say the skater wins by PCS. Where does this logic come from. There is no mandatory tie between TES and PCS that their advantages must be exactly equal. It's not an issue when PCS advantage is bigger than TES advantage. Half of wins are done like that. Still the skater win by both- TES advantage and PCS advantage. The win by PCS advantage means the skater has negative advantage in TES and gets pulled up by PCS entirely (Yuna LP in 2010, her SP in Sochi as well).

As for 0.01 advantage as "the flimsiest", I am sure Cappellini/Lanote and Weaver/Poje have their opinions (0.02 total advatage). Jonny Weir too knows something about. His score in U.S Nationals 2008 was tied and he lost on technicality.
The 0.01 might cost skaters a title. It probably deserves to be spoken with higher respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.