Artistry On Ice 2014 - China | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Artistry On Ice 2014 - China

bluebell0710

Rinkside
Yes, Butterfly Lovers by Lu Chen is a legend forever!
But Farewell my Concubine is also a good ex, with beatuiful song, nice constunes, the film background...
Lambiel's new program to the blues / jazz number is absolutely brilliant! So rich with interpretation, subtlely, musicality and character.

OTOH, the Farewell my Concubine number by Zhang and Weir are obviously hastily put together and kind of a tacky way to please the Chinese audience with the nice costumes. In terms of artistry and effort, nothing like Lu Chen's Butterfly Lovers...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you gallavich for the link. I was so glad I hadn't uninstall the PPTV program from my host/friend's laptop I've been using this summer so I got on the live stream right away. Unfortunately, I paused it for a while and when I came back to watch the second half, the computer crashed twice and I missed almost all of the show after the break. :eek:hwell:

Lambiel's new program to the blues / jazz number is absolutely brilliant! So rich with interpretation, subtlely, musicality and character.

OTOH, the Farewell my Concubine number by Zhang and Weir are obviously hastily put together and kind of a tacky way to please the Chinese audience with the nice costumes. In terms of artistry and effort, nothing like Lu Chen's Butterfly Lovers...

From what I've watched, I loved Stephane best. I liked Tessa and Scott very much as well and Zijun looked really good. I'm also impressed how well she and Han skated together considering they are both young single skaters. I believe Peng/Zhang will compete well this coming season. They are good together.

In China, there are many Johnny fans who are not skating fans. They are thrilled with him showing up with full make up and fancy costume, spending much time posing horizontally on ice.

Lu Chen is in her own league in so many ways. For one thing, she skated wonderfully to memorable programs choreographed with Chinese music, unlike the later and current Chinese skaters who skate to Asian roles in Western dramas and music. Well Han's new SP to Fiddler On the Roof with lyrics is interesting and has potential from the short segment I saw although he obviously has not trained enough.

Hoping for videos .......... I want to watch Stephane's program in a red shirt.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Wonderful show all around! Even with the wonkiness of the stream, the beauty of the performances shone through. At least Johnny landed that throw this time. ;) And he really improved the Bollywood program! I'm surprised by how much better it is compared to back in Japan.

...is that really going to be Han Yan's new competitive program though? :unsure: Even though he's young, I'm not sure these "quirky" programs are working for him. He was much better when skating with Zijun... I was hoping for a more serious program since that actually looks more natural on him.

bluebell0710

Rinkside
I'm also confused why Lori prefers this program to Han Yan, considering the same type SP last season. And Han Yan accepts that the program works for him. :confused:
Wonderful show all around! Even with the wonkiness of the stream, the beauty of the performances shone through. At least Johnny landed that throw this time. ;) And he really improved the Bollywood program! I'm surprised by how much better it is compared to back in Japan.

...is that really going to be Han Yan's new competitive program though? :unsure: Even though he's young, I'm not sure these "quirky" programs are working for him. He was much better when skating with Zijun... I was hoping for a more serious program since that actually looks more natural on him.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, Butterfly Lovers by Lu Chen is a legend forever!
But Farewell my Concubine is also a good ex, with beatuiful song, nice constunes, the film background...

I agree, I don't find it tacky at all. Johnny is perfectly capable of being tacky. But he can also be an elegant artist on the ice, and I think he did a very respectable job in this program given their time constraints.

Plushenko did a wonderful job even with a broken skate. :love: I agree with Sandpiper about Han Yan - I never quite buy what he's selling...he seems to lack confidence also.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I agree, I don't find it tacky at all. Johnny is perfectly capable of being tacky. But he can also be an elegant artist on the ice, and I think he did a very respectable job in this program given their time constraints.

Plushenko did a wonderful job even with a broken skate. :love: I agree with Sandpiper about Han Yan - I never quite buy what he's selling...he seems to lack confidence also.

I wouldn't say Johnny's performance was tacky (that would be kinda harsh...), but he could've incorporated more elements of Peking Opera. I think they just didn't have enough time to choreograph or rehearse. While Zijun and Han Yan's performance clearly showed that they'd rehearsed properly.

And yep, Plushy doesn't seem too bothered by the skate problems. But I still can't believe there's no better solution than "skate through it" when these problems pop up. Also, editor who focused on Edwin Marton while Plushy is doing his spiral... :disapp: Lots of wonky camera work in general, but I guess I shouldn't complain when it's a stream.

I'm also confused why Lori prefers this program to Han Yan, considering the same type SP last season. And Han Yan accepts that the program works for him. :confused:
To be fair, I do think this program is slightly better than his last SP. At least he wasn't trying to act cute this time. *shudder* His performance with Zijun confirms what I suspected: that his natural inclinations are actually more serious, emotional programs.

As meh as I've been with Lori's recent work, maybe Han Yan and his coach also had a hand in this? Like, they went up to her and asked, "Hey, we want quirky programs!"

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Han and Zijun choreographed that program themselves, and i agree, emotional, serious, lyrical and fierce seems to be his natural skating style, and also goes really well with his skating edge quality as exhibited in his previous programs. However, Han seems really impressed by Kurt's step sequence according to his previous interview. and I think that perhaps, His team including lori and himself wanna push him and discover his potential. He is very young, and it is not the time to fix on one style yet. According to Patrick interview, Lori used to intentionally arrange 3Loop in his exhibit program to force him practice that jump,which is his least favorite. And I already see improvement in performance from this new SP compare to his previous SP.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I saw a comment on VK that Jin Yang played the King to Johnny's Concubine in the last show. I can't wait for the video. :)

Also, I watched the Taipei press conference and Johnny said that it was the Artistry on Ice team that approached him originally with the idea of playing the concubine. So I don't know how much, if any, input he had into creating the program.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I saw a comment on VK that Jin Yang played the King to Johnny's Concubine in the last show. I can't wait for the video. :)

Also, I watched the Taipei press conference and Johnny said that it was the Artistry on Ice team that approached him originally with the idea of playing the concubine. So I don't know how much, if any, input he had into creating the program.

That's good marketing by AOI. Johnny is very popular in China and the role suits him. Pleasing the paying audience is what matters.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Glad to see this program have gone down a storm in Taipei... & as expected, the fan art are already out.

Farewell to my concubine.
http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/49e606f7jw1eiypdde5duj20ku0p042m.jpg
http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/65c2bfb2jw1eizx391mftj20k00c4760.jpg

Plushy looks stunning
http://ww2.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/62ae3d36gw1eizo5y9spuj218g5rw4qp.jpg

Han Yan, with Joannie, Tessa, Tatiana
http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/76ad8596jw1ej07wmfnldj21090ke401.jpg
http://ww3.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/76ad8596jw1ej07wn4j2vj20l311i41d.jpg
http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/76ad8596jw1ej07wri08ej20l311igob.jpg
http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/76ad8596jw1ej07wqbpssj20l311i0vp.jpg

Artistry on ice has really improved the last couple of years, with even more super stars and more distinctive flavours. This is an amazing cast and production. Well done!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Artistry on ice has really improved the last couple of years, with even more super stars and more distinctive flavours. This is an amazing cast and production. Well done!

I agree, they did a wonderful job with every detail. And it's so nice that they allow fancams so we can see it all - not just the highly edited tv versions like they do in Japan. Definitely wish we could get a show of this caliber in the US, but since that's not likely to happen, the videos are the next best thing.