‘Smart blade’ to let researchers see F. Skating's toll on the body | Golden Skate

‘Smart blade’ to let researchers see F. Skating's toll on the body

GF2445

Record Breaker
Triple axel, death spiral, lutz, salchow, quadruple: figure skating even sounds painful.

It is estimated that the magnitude of force on a skaters’ body when they land on the ice can be up to six times their body weight. Injuries are common and can be career-ending.

But a team of researchers has developed a smart ice skate to measure the exact impact on the skater during a routine...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...re-skatings-toll-on-the-body/article21187191/

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Triple axel, death spiral, lutz, salchow, quadruple: figure skating even sounds painful.

It is estimated that the magnitude of force on a skaters’ body when they land on the ice can be up to six times their body weight. Injuries are common and can be career-ending.

But a team of researchers has developed a smart ice skate to measure the exact impact on the skater during a routine...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...re-skatings-toll-on-the-body/article21187191/

Thx, GF2445. :) For anyone who wants to learn still more:

Diagrams of the "smart blade" are included in a news article on the website of the Institute of Physics.

The academic paper is in the Dec issue of the IOP journal Measurement Science and Technology. Abstract available here:

Matilda

Medalist
Interesting.

I think it's hilarious that an article talking about primarily the stress that jumps pose on the skater's body is accompanied with a picture of ice dancers :p

I think it's hilarious that an article talking about primarily the stress that jumps pose on the skater's body is accompanied with a picture of ice dancers :p

I guess they are saying that wrapping yourself into a pretzel shape like Tessa is doing -- that can't be good for you either.

Maybe the smart blade says, "Let go of me!" ;)

noskates

Record Breaker
I think this is very interesting given the emphasis on the quad these days!!!!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think it's fabulous that this is being thought about and studied seriously outside the FS community. What if leads to an amazing new boot/blade design that helps to reduce the impact on skaters' bodies, thus allowing them to stay healthy -- or at least healthier & less injury-prone -- while training/performing? Possible best result: better jumps, higher jumps, and increased longevity.

Long live the geeks! ;)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Probably because the article was published in the Globe and Mail, and the most iconic current Canadian skaters are Tessa and Scott.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I love the name 'pretzel' lift. Tessa and Scott for sure are the masters of those types of lifts. They look both spectacular snd scary.

peg

Medalist
It would have made more sense to use a pic of Patrick Chan, especially since the article was talking about the toll that quads take. It's not like he's a complete unknown in Canada ;)