What's Going On With Polina Korobeynikova? | Golden Skate

What's Going On With Polina Korobeynikova?

anyanka

Record Breaker
The Russian ladies' field is so deep that a roll call includes: Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Leonova, Radionova, Pogorilaya and Gosviani. The juniors alone include Sakhanovich, Medvedeva, Proklova. One name that isn't mentioned anymore is Polina Korobeynikova.

What is she up to these days? She did a splendid FS at 2012 Euros and won the small silver, moving up from 12th to 4th overall. I looked on her Wikipedia but it appears she hasn't been competing since 2013. Polina seemed so promising at one point, especially in 2011/12.

Does anyone have any updates? Or has she pulled a Ksenia Makarova and quietly left the sport or decided to sit out a year or two?

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I like her a lot, too, and I hope she can resurface someday, but the latest news isn't very promising:
According to this, she competed at the Cup of Russia
(won by Adelina Sotnikova), after nearly ten months of not competing (due to what, I don't know), had an okay SP and then fell apart in the FP, underrotating many jumps.
I hope that Russian or Russian-speaking users will be able to provide more info.
I'm afraid that her height and her nerves are keeping her from coming back to her 2012 level. Of course, I'd be glad if she made a comeback.

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
There's a third????

There were three at the same age. Shelepen, Agafonova and Korobeynikova. Now another junior star appeared, the fourth one named Polina Tsurskaya from Tutberidze's group of skaters. Next year she will be eligible internationally. Actually there are much more talented Polina's in Russia I believe, these are the ones just had chance to compete internationally.

Regarding Korobeynikova, I loved her a lot during that year she was 4th at Euros. But she regressed after that point with the effect of growth. I wish someday she can skate as strong as she did, too.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There's a third????

Last time I counted, there were SIX Polinas!!! :eek:

Agafanova
Edmunds
Korobeynikova
Shelepen
Stepanova
Tsurskaya

But, getting back to Polina K, and she had an awful season last year. From what I remember, she had a bad time in her first qualifying event for nationals. But, rather than being understanding, the Federation immediately stripped her of her GP allocations, and hence she lost her guaranteed place in Nationals. And she wasn't able to make up the points needed to qualify.

If you have a look through this thread, you can find out more about all the dramas about qualifying for Nationals.

Hope this helps

...and I hope Polina K has a much better season this year! :biggrin: I really liked her a lot!

CaroLiza_fan