Machida: On a league of his own this season? What this could mean? | Golden Skate

Machida: On a league of his own this season? What this could mean?

iceberg

On the Ice
I just can't help but notice about how the season has kicked off. From the SA, by which Machida won by a landslide. To the SC, where he still is almost 15 points ahead of the gold medalist even though he(Machida) lowered his base value. And into the shocking events in CoC where the Olympic champion Hanyu unfortunately failed to deliver a clean long program because of the accident. Machida is over 27 points the gold medalist in CoC.

To be able to kick the season with these circumstances it almost reminded me of last season on how Mao have won all the events and then coming from her recover olympic champ Yuna just won the World title and wowed everyone on her comeback. Or Machida himself who dominated the start of the last season and then finished just less than a point shy to olympic gold medalist as well Hanyu.

Going back this season after Hanyu's and Han's accident, Hanyu had just boosted his character by 1000x and became like a "HERO" to the skating fans after his accident but still made the show go on. He surely has touched everyone's heart.

Having said that do you think will history just repeat itself? Is this like an omen that whoever starts the season winning will end up losing? Will Hanyu be able to give a glorious comeback after CoC? And lastly will Machida be able to sustain the momentum? What do you guys think?:)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
One can only speculate using information one has seen in the past.
Reality can mess with any predictions as those who are playing the prediction game on Golden Skate are aware!

Going purely by history, Hanyu peaks middle-late season and Machida peaks from the early-middle season.
I have no idea what will happen.

Hanyu is carrying several injuries though and Machida is looking very strong.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
1. I think that this is not the time to compare anything because it's just GP events.
2. I think your post at this stage are not good because you are just rising agression in both skaters fans ( Machida and Hanyu ) that provides never ending wars.
3. As previous years showed Hanyu was never too good at beginning of the season.
4. Go back to 1 ;)

Last edited:

alia jackson

Record Breaker
I wish for Hanyu to take this season off and recuperate, also let someone else anchor the 50 ice shows.

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
I would just like to reiterate that it is not my intention to make fans become aggressive or to make a comparison in this thread. I am just curious about you veteran skating fans and what your analysis are. I hope you guys will become more civilized enough to understand what my post is about.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Hope Javi step-up to win at GPF

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
This! Go Javi!

Whatever my personal preferences, Machida is a very strong contender. If he can overcome his GPF jitters, he can win it.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I understand your post very good.

If Yuzuru will be not able to finish GP events I hope that Javi will go for the win in GPF too :yay:

I must work on new topic now. Takahito Mura in league of his own, because he was able to deliver LP with the highest TES this season so far ;)

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice

If Yuzuru will be not able to finish GP events I hope that Javi will go for the win in GPF too :yay:

I must work on new topic now. Takahito Mura in league of his own, because he was able to deliver LP with the highest TES this season so far ;)

Well i wouldn't be surprised. Like I mentioned, Machida intentionally lowered his BV. :)

mjj

Rinkside

And Jason Brown is in a league of his own, getting silver at SA without quad :biggrin: Did someone say he can win World without quad?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I wouldn't call it "a league of his own": Fernandez, Mura, Kovtun can all be very very good, and if Hanyu recovers it is difficult to beat him, but his SA performances (as I've stated many times) were really top-notch... As always, we'll see how he handles the pressure in the big events, but now he is experienced and I trust him! Men is always such an unpredictable category, though! :popcorn:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It's just a GP. Let's not make hasty judgements yet. It's true Machida looks like the one to beat this season. But how many times has Michelle Kwan lost to Irina Slutskaya at GPs/GPF, only to win Worlds yet again?

Going back this season after Hanyu's and Han's accident, Hanyu had just boosted his character by 1000x and became like a "HERO" to the skating fans after his accident but still made the show go on. He surely has touched everyone's heart.
Not sure about this. "Hero" doesn't seem like the universal moniker there. "Idiot" also seems common (not meant offensively--it's from people genuinely concerned about him).

ioanna

Record Breaker
Machida never had the mindset of a competitor, not even last season - which was by far his most successful one so far. He always does well in the GP competitions but fails to deliver when it counts (whether it's the GPF, Nationals or Olympics).

However, sometime between the Olympics and the World Championship something changed and he was finally capable to skate well under immense pressure in the LP at Worlds, believing he could win.

To quote him from an article published by GS,

Compared to last season, not just Skate America, when I went through the Olympics and Worlds, I think I grew a lot. I think I’m more capable. I have a bigger capacity and the programs are built on these new capacities.

We can only wait and see what he does at his next GP assignment, and most importantly the GPF.

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I'm slowly becoming a fan :) I liked him very much last season, but now I really fell in love with his FS. I still hope Hanyu will win the WC again, but I'd like both him and Machida skate clean programs and ...let the best one win

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Machida never had the mindset of a competitor, not even last season - which was by far his most successful one so far. He always does well in the GP competitions but fails to deliver when it counts (whether it's the GPF, Nationals or Olympics).

However, sometime between the Olympics and the World Championship something changed and he was finally capable to skate well under immense pressure in the LP at Worlds, believing he could win.

To quote him from an article published by GS,

We can only wait and see what he does at his next GP assignment, and most importantly the GPF.

I totally agree.

I'm happy to see that Tatsuki now is seen by many as a real contender for skating's top prizes which was not the case last year even if he won his two GP events. Finally, to quote the title of the article about him subject of another thread, he has emerged from the shadows cast by his illustrious compatriots.

elee63

Final Flight
And Jason Brown is in a league of his own, getting silver at SA without quad :biggrin: Did someone say he can win World without quad?

Not this year...He'll be lucky to break top 5 if he doesn't get more consistent

iceberg

On the Ice
I totally agree.

I'm happy to see that Tatsuki now is seen by many as a real contender for skating's top prizes which was not the case last year even if he won his two GP events. Finally, to quote the title of the article about him subject of another thread, he has emerged from the shadows cast by his illustrious compatriots.

Very true!