Stress Fracture of the Fibula (landing leg) Could this be a boot issue? | Golden Skate

Stress Fracture of the Fibula (landing leg) Could this be a boot issue?

DancerOnIce

Spectator
First post, long time lurker. Anyway, a few months ago i discovered I was having some pretty bad pain in my outside ankle on the landing leg right where the boot ends. I was doing a lot of jumping this practice (I have all singles, working doubles). About two weeks before this pain first started, I was returning to practice after over 7 years off the ice. I am 23 now. I started practicing about 10 hours a week.

I got an X-ray two weeks after the pain started because it was just getting worse. X-ray showed nothing and physio and doctor believed it was a form of tendonitis.
two and a half months after the pain started I got a repeat X-ray because rest and physio wasn’t improving the pain. Turns out I have a stress fracture of the landing leg fibula. Right where the boot ends.
I have slowly returned to ice, not doing any jumps, just footwork, spins etc.

my doctor has advised me I can skate without jumping, however Im asking for more advice on if I should continue or not because the doctor doesn’t actually skate so she may see it as lower impact

has anyone else experienced this before? Do we think it’s a boot issue? Or a jumped back into it too quickly issue.

for reference,

boots: Riedell 1500 HLS 6.5 B/C
blade: JW Coro aces

note to add: after finding no relieve with arch pain I went to B sharp in Ottawa and the fitter mentioned my boots were slight,y big and that’s why I was having arch pain. I’m being recommended Jackson 5300 in size 6.5 as they are my proper fit and have a wider toe box. Unfortunately I can’t afford to switch up my boot and blade combo (since I’ll need a small blade length) until next year so I’m going to continue trying to skate in my currect set. Would this potentially screw me over?
also to add, I’m in the military and I go on course for a year in March so I likely will have to stop skating/minimally skate so this will give my ankle fracture a rest.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
First post, long time lurker. Anyway, a few months ago i discovered I was having some pretty bad pain in my outside ankle on the landing leg right where the boot ends. I was doing a lot of jumping this practice (I have all singles, working doubles). About two weeks before this pain first started, I was returning to practice after over 7 years off the ice. I am 23 now. I started practicing about 10 hours a week.

I got an X-ray two weeks after the pain started because it was just getting worse. X-ray showed nothing and physio and doctor believed it was a form of tendonitis.
two and a half months after the pain started I got a repeat X-ray because rest and physio wasn’t improving the pain. Turns out I have a stress fracture of the landing leg fibula. Right where the boot ends.
I have slowly returned to ice, not doing any jumps, just footwork, spins etc.

my doctor has advised me I can skate without jumping, however Im asking for more advice on if I should continue or not because the doctor doesn’t actually skate so she may see it as lower impact

has anyone else experienced this before? Do we think it’s a boot issue? Or a jumped back into it too quickly issue.

for reference,

boots: Riedell 1500 HLS 6.5 B/C
blade: JW Coro aces

note to add: after finding no relieve with arch pain I went to B sharp in Ottawa and the fitter mentioned my boots were slight,y big and that’s why I was having arch pain. I’m being recommended Jackson 5300 in size 6.5 as they are my proper fit and have a wider toe box. Unfortunately I can’t afford to switch up my boot and blade combo (since I’ll need a small blade length) until next year so I’m going to continue trying to skate in my currect set. Would this potentially screw me over?
also to add, I’m in the military and I go on course for a year in March so I likely will have to stop skating/minimally skate so this will give my ankle fracture a rest.
Hi and welcome. I hope you heal soon, but I'm afraid to tell you that by buying boots that are way too advanced for you and too stiff and also skating way more than you should, and jumping has more than likely caused this injury. Do you have a coach?

With singles, and even some doubles, you need a lower rated boot that's not extra firm stiffness like the one you have now is. Also, usually I would say you can jump after a healing period and even with doing the basic things our boots will support and help us from getting reinjured, but not in these boots since they were what led to you getting hurt in the first place.

The Jackson 5300 would be an acceptable boot and you should have been in one of those (with what little info I have), in the first place. That boots rating is 60/65 IIRC, and not extra firm like your current boot. I am confused though why you are in riedell now but were suggested a jackson. Those usually don't universally fit a foot like that.

Your military break should help heal you some, albeit if you aren't constantly using said area or things that will irritate what is fractured in your daily military duties.

And a little advice from a pro who had both ankles sprain/strain and has tendonitis in both for life. IT never leaves you. The pain will come back to some degree and be sore and nag you, especially while skating.

Last edited:

DancerOnIce

Spectator
Hi and welcome. I hope you heal soon, but I'm afraid to tell you that by buying boots that are way too advanced for you and too stiff and also skating way more than you should, and jumping has more than likely caused this injury. Do you have a coach?

With singles, and even some doubles, you need a lower rated boot that's not extra firm stiffness like the one you have now is. Also, usually I would say you can jump after a healing period and even with doing the basic things our boots will support and help us from getting reinjured, but not in these boots since they were what led to you getting hurt in the first place.

The Jackson 5300 would be an acceptable boot and you should have been in one of those (with what little info I have), in the first place. That boots rating is 60/65 IIRC, and not extra firm like your current boot. I am confused though why you are in riedell now but were suggested a jackson. Those usually don't universally fit a foot like that.

Your military break should help heal you some, albeit if you aren't constantly using said area or things that will irritate what is fractured in your daily military duties.

And a little advice from a pro who had both ankles sprain/strain and has tendonitis in both for life. IT never leaves you. The pain will come back to some degree and be sore and nag you, especially while skating.
Thanks for the reply! I figured it was the boots mainly, the second fitter I went to was taken aback to see the boots I’m in. He said the same things as you, and also mentioned my foot shape should be in a Jackson. I’ll save up to get those boots instead. there are coaches on the I’ve but I’m not paying for private lessons at the moment.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I would just add to Ic3Rabbit's excellent advice that you may find an orthotic footbed helpful. Something that properly supports your feet and ankles helps to prevent injury.

Heal swiftly and well. I had a stress fracture in the past and it took some time completely off the ice for it to heal properly.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Jackson 5300 is the Supreme and it's rated 75. Seems like a lot for someone learning doubles?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jackson 5300 is the Supreme and it's rated 75. Seems like a lot for someone learning doubles?
Depends on their body stats and if they are a big or strong jumper. Just b/c it's a 75 doesn't mean it doesn't work for some adult skaters, I only recommend a boot like that when it appears it would be ideal or close to ideal for person. Now, that said.....OP you need the 5320 rated 65, which is what I was thinking of, not the 5300, my apologies, I was tired and I've been extremely busy and trying to still make time for here to help people.

ETA: Now seeing your stats, you def need the 5320. Or a Synergy that can be custom rated.