Hongo's rise illustrates depth of Japan's talent pool | Golden Skate

Hongo's rise illustrates depth of Japan's talent pool

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
So Mai Asada *isn't* getting married? ;-) (scroll down to end of article)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Japan has many talented skaters but nobody is the "have-it-all" person like Mao. I hate to watch Satoko's tiny jumps and knee bend, and Hongo has the posture issue, and these problems are not likely to go away. But between the two, I prefer to see Hongo. SHe is quite tall now I so I think she was not so consistent because she was growing to much in the past few years.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Japan has many talented skaters but nobody is the "have-it-all" person like Mao. I hate to watch Satoko's tiny jumps and knee bend, and Hongo has the posture issue, and these problems are not likely to go away. But between the two, I prefer to see Hongo. SHe is quite tall now I so I think she was not so consistent because she was growing to much in the past few years.

A knee-bend is a good thing isn't it?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

I think it goes without saying that there can be only one Mao & few female skaters will ever achieve her level of skill or success. But they are still worthwhile athletes. And perhaps we can see from Satoko & Rika what has probably been Mao's biggest shortcoming- consistency. Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, I look forward to Japan's Nationals :yes:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I hoped Haruka Iami to be the top Japanese lady after Mao, since she is feminine, pretty, not too tall or too short, good body line & posture, but her jumps stopped improving. :bang:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I hoped Haruka Iami to be the top Japanese lady after Mao, since she is feminine, pretty, not too tall or too short, good body line & posture, but her jumps stopped improving. :bang:

Haruka has been battling an ongoing injury in her foot. She is training hard and has not given up, but there is a limit to how well you can skate with an injured foot. :cry:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What about Murakami? Is there still hope for her. The Japanese ladies are certainly still a threat with Hongo and Satoko - they are kind of like the Russians in that we have to look at their physical development as well due to age.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I get the feeling -though I might be wrong- that Murakami just wants a satisfying season and then she will retire. Her coach even asked her why she hadn't retired yet!
She says she wants to be a coach in the future. She seems to not be in a 'winning' state of mind. She's a wild card though. You can't count on her but you can't count her out.
I do love Kanako. Her reactions to things, her energy on the ice, her face after she performs well...so lovable.

Rinchan

Rinkside
I think that Japan has many potential future talents in its novice and Junior Ranks... Wakaba Higuchi, Marin Honda and Yuna Aoki just to name a few of them... if they can resist the puberty monster I think they have the potential to rise into stars. As for the current competitors on the senior scene, I thunk there are good and talented skaters, but nit the deep field Japan enjoyed till some years ago (Mao, Akiko, Miki, Yukari, Fumie, Shizuka....). Hongo won deservedly in a weak field where every one else pretty much imploded. However I don't think she can really compete with the bigger names. I hope she will grow to be another strong contender, but for the moment I feel she is a good skater... wish she wouldn't use her shoulders that much while she jumps and connect more to the music.

thoakun

Final Flight
I love Hakura's skating even more than Satoko and Rika. She's the quintessential princess: elegant down to her bones, good posture and beautiful lines, good music and costume choices, but I don't know if she can go further with her jumps. :eek:hwell:

TheCzar

On the Ice
Definitely early days, but the field shows promise with Hongo and Miyahara leading the pack. There are issues still, and I feel that Rika and Satoko both have what each other needed- much like Mao and Miki or Mao and Akiko, however it's still too early to tell whether they can dominate or not. Asada was a prodigy and when she and Kim came out, you knew they were going to snatch some wigs. I don't get that vibe from the Japanese ladies just yet, but I get that A LOT from the Russians who are, despite recent events, more technically bombastic and internationally tested. I have high hopes for the Miyahara though, especially now that the judges seem to have finally noticed her outstanding Components.