Russia’s Tuktamysheva back in rhythm | Golden Skate

Russia’s Tuktamysheva back in rhythm

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia’s Elizaveta (Lisa) Tuktamysheva has come back strong after a disappointing Olympic season, and has had kept herself pretty busy this season with competitions.

More

MalAssada

Medalist
She seems like a very sweet girl. I love how she mentions Lipnitskaya's "not so good" skate (delicate words) and the fact that it helped her qualify to the Final; the "maybe we’ll try to do the triple Lutz-triple toe combination" made me smile from ear to ear.

JayW

Final Flight
Good to see her back, and I am so glad that she went through the growing spur successfully!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In any case, I think I am capable of doing the triple Axel if I prepare correctly.”

There were a lot of rumors about this. I guess this confirms she has it on the radar. :popcorn:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Go, Liza! :cheer2:

I hope she goes to GPF and skates clean. Her GOEs and PCS should do the rest of the work. No need for lutz-toe or 3A. Of course, I'm glad those things are on the agenda for some more distant date.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've always liked her and I too am very glad that she it back! Go Tuk!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I really like Liza's programs this season and her skating and technique has really been fabulous! I am rooting for her to win Gold at the GPF! :cheer:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would love to see Liza take it all this year - GPF, Nationals, Euros, Worlds. She's sure skating with the intent for it, and the best jumps of any lady in the last quadrennial.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Got to say that among all the Russian babes, she is the only one who have the full set of triples from toe loop to lutz without edge and take off issues. Come to think of it, very few ladies have all 5 jumps that are clear and without wonky / suspect edges at take off. Her basic skating has certainly improved with greater maturity although she still does not have the "presence" on ice as she is of a rather small build and lacking in the sort of showmanship which Sotnikova or Radionova possesses.

LRK

Record Breaker
So happy for her, never write anyone out in this sport

Yes, I do hope other skaters - especially girls struggling through puberty - can look at her and be inspired. Things may look dark, but if one perseveres, one can still prevail.

Apropos the article - how typical that she was more nervous in the SP - in spite of all those great shorts under her belt! I hope she can continue to build her confidence and skate clean at the GPF - while I'd love (I'm a fan of hers and am not going to pretend that I wouldn't be thrilled to bits!) for her to win, still I think that is even more important.

By interviews I gather that this season their target seems to be recovery and consolidation. So far, things have been going very well. Go, Liza! :) :cheer:

LiLiGirl1

Rinkside
I would love to see Liza take it all this year - GPF, Nationals, Euros, Worlds. She's sure skating with the intent for it, and the best jumps of any lady in the last quadrennial.

I would love to see that, also. I wasn't a big fan of hers until seeing her skate at her two Grand Prix events this year. I think she now skates and looks the best of them all. Now count me in as one of her biggest fans! GO LIZA!:cheer:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I really love how well she's skating this season and how she was able to come back and to prove herself after a disappointing period! :bow:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Got to say that among all the Russian babes, she is the only one who have the full set of triples from toe loop to lutz without edge and take off issues. Come to think of it, very few ladies have all 5 jumps that are clear and without wonky / suspect edges at take off. Her basic skating has certainly improved with greater maturity although she still does not have the "presence" on ice as she is of a rather small build and lacking in the sort of showmanship which Sotnikova or Radionova possesses.

I agree. Her artistry is super overrated (on the forum at least) in my opinion. But you can't argue that she's made great strides in improving her consistency and maturity. I hate it when people count out skaters and say mean things, and I love comebacks and Liza is really shoving it to the haters. :)

I still do not like either of her programs in terms of choreography, although her FS is much improved from the start of the season (I wish her energy/intricacy/sass exhibited at the end of the program was throughout the program).

lyndichee

Medalist
I agree. Her artistry is super overrated (on the forum at least) in my opinion. But you can't argue that she's made great strides in improving her consistency and maturity. I hate it when people count out skaters and say mean things, and I love comebacks and Liza is really shoving it to the haters. :)

I still do not like either of her programs in terms of choreography, although her FS is much improved from the start of the season (I wish her energy/intricacy/sass exhibited at the end of the program was throughout the program).

I agree to some extent, I think this season should be used to solidify her presence and work on gaining confidence. I hope her programs are more interesting next season. Maybe she'll finally pull out a triple axel or 3Lz+3T in the short.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Liza is proof of a couple of things:

First, that if you have a good strong basic technique, you will be able to adapt to most body changes.

And second, that even when everyone else has lost belief in you, if you still have the support of those that really matter, you can survive the struggles and make the haters pay!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I think Liza is proof of a couple of things:

First, that if you have a good strong basic technique, you will be able to adapt to most body changes.

And second, that even when everyone else has lost belief in you, if you still have the support of those that really matter, you can survive the struggles and make the haters pay!

All hail Mishin and the power of the broccoli torch!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/2fc9149292eeca7113cbcda3dd2d44c9/tumblr_net723wKQg1qedt84o2_400.gif

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree to some extent, I think this season should be used to solidify her presence and work on gaining confidence. I hope her programs are more interesting next season. Maybe she'll finally pull out a triple axel or 3Lz+3T in the short.

I thoroughly agree. This season is re-establishing herself as a favourite and with Asada/Kim/Kostner gone, there's a wide open field for whoever is the most artistic/refined skater in the field (seems like Wagner at the moment... although IMO Murakami should be up there too... and Radionova's perfect skates are rightfully giving her top-tier non-Olympic year PCS).

At this point, Tuktamysheva's confidence should be incredibly high. She needs to just skate solidly as she's been doing this year and she'll likely podium at Worlds, and even is a fave to win Euros. With those accolades checked off, THEN she should consider attempting the 3A more in practice and 3Z+3T (which at this point I think is unnecessary, and beyond her ability to be consistent at this point in time... no point messing around with what's working for her at the moment and her 3T+3T gets good GOE which I don't think she'd get on her 3Z+3T which would be much riskier).