2024 Worlds: Women's thoughts and comments | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2024 Worlds: Women's thoughts and comments

noskates

Record Breaker
I guess I have to disagree with a bunch of you. I thought it was a good competition. I'm not a Loena fan at all but was sorry she had such a bad skate. And Amber just needs to start skating with her feet instead of her head. She's made the same excuses for quite a few years now and while she has that gorgeous 3A, once she makes a mistake the program goes downhill. I realize things can change in 2 years - but maybe they won't. Also I think Kaori looked better packaged this year than any year she has in the past.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I guess I have to disagree with a bunch of you. I thought it was a good competition.
It was a good competition in a sense that many skaters made mistakes in their short programs and had to fight back in the free - including Kaori, who did not look invincible at all after the first day of the competition. In that sense it was a very good competition with many surprises, both positive and negative. In a sense of many outstanding performances - not so much, I'd say it was mixed ;)

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Step sequences are my favorite part of almost all programs. Especially the skaters who are good at them. But in general, I'm more interested in interesting skating than in crossovers into jumps.
Step sequences are memorable.
It is interesting how many posters in this thread remember Hana Yoshida because of her Japanese crane step sequence. And nobody mentions her tripple axel ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Step sequences are memorable.
It is interesting how many posters in this thread remember Hana Yoshida because of her Japanese crane step sequence. And nobody mentions her tripple axel ;)
because her triple axel wasn't that good ;)

cailuj365

On the Ice
I honestly missed why Amber Glenn was so hyped this season. Not that I don't enjoy her skating, but she has never been a consistent skater, so I didn't understand why NBC was pulling for her so hard at Nationals. Good for Isabeau for finishing with a World silver after a tough 1st half of the year where she was making a lot of small errors.

Kaori amazing as always.

Korean ladies' starting to feel like Russia from 5 years ago. A new medalist every year and no one with longevity, while the "real star" is still waiting in the junior ranks. 🫤

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I honestly missed why Amber Glenn was so hyped this season. Not that I don't enjoy her skating, but she has never been a consistent skater, so I didn't understand why NBC was pulling for her so hard at Nationals. Good for Isabeau for finishing with a World silver after a tough 1st half of the year where she was making a lot of small errors.
Hyping the latest girl (even if the lastest is last month) is what USFS do and have ever since Gracie. It will be mildly interesting to watch the possible flipityflopity between Isabeau and Alysa next year.

Korean ladies' starting to feel like Russia from 5 years ago. A new medalist every year and no one with longevity, while the "real star" is still waiting in the junior ranks. 🫤

When does this real star go senior?

cailuj365

On the Ice
Hyping the latest girl (even if the lastest is last month) is what USFS do and have ever since Gracie. It will be mildly interesting to watch the possible flipityflopity between Isabeau and Alysa next year.
Yes, but I was surprised because Isabeau still had the higher placements from the year before and Grand Prix, and so I really didn't know why Amber was suddenly being pushed so hard. Maybe because she had such a banger SP.

When does this real star go senior?
Shin Jia goes senior during the Olympic season 2025-2026. Chaeyeon and Haein are the only medalists actually, but I feel like I've seen at least 4 senior Korean ladies now cycling through in the last 4 years.

Yes, but I was surprised because Isabeau still had the higher placements from the year before and Grand Prix, and so I really didn't know why Amber was suddenly being pushed so hard. Maybe because she had such a banger SP..
I think that skating federations always support and promote their national champion. Why wouldn't they? In Amber's case it was a feel-good story about a contender who tried and tried year after year to reach the top, but something always went wrong. This year she finally made it. Yay!

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, but I was surprised because Isabeau still had the higher placements from the year before and Grand Prix, and so I really didn't know why Amber was suddenly being pushed so hard. Maybe because she had such a banger SP.
Echoes of Midori Ito and Tonya Harding - it’s all about the triple axel, something Isabeau lacks. We will see what happens as Alyssa Liu begins her comeback and whether she has the triple axel.

Interestingly, I find myself very interested in the U.S. ladies suddenly.
There are two strong jumpers and a Yamaguchi type in Isabeau along with other up and comers.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Kaori amazing as always.

Korean ladies' starting to feel like Russia from 5 years ago. A new medalist every year and no one with longevity, while the "real star" is still waiting in the junior ranks.
🫤
New rules next season when you have to be 17. Levito and Kim are the last medalists competing with the 16 years rule. Whatever happens in the future good for them getting those medals :)

Skating91

Medalist
Kaori is my favorite, too, but I do miss watching a certain female russian skater go for 234 quads and falling all over the ice like a drunken sailor just to capture the BV. What elegance!

The top 13 of the Russian championships free skate there were 3 falls all from attempting quads.

The top 13 of the World championships free skate there were 2 falls from attempting triples.

Very similar is terms of errors, except the quads are exponentially more difficult than triples.

Interesting.

The skaters of that era were just as athletically talented as those of today. Knowledge of how to teach and perform today's more difficult moves has grown, but mainly it was the equipment they used at that time that prevented bigger jumps and many of the other moves. I saw a photo online recently (and of course can't find it now to add to this) of a champion of the 1950s -- Carol Heiss? Tenley Albright? -- posing on a bench next to her skates. The blades and foot part are upright, but the thin, limp boots from the ankles up are flopped over to the side as if they're just knitted high-top slippers. No stiffness at all, nothing anywhere near the construction of the boots and blades of today. Take a pair of skates from today back in time and those athletes could do the same programs we see now.
My points was that it is more of a global sport now, the power in Asia. It is much more competitive.

I don't think Isabeau gets this enormous PCS and GOE on each jump if Liu is at her technical level next season.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hyping the latest girl (even if the lastest is last month) is what USFS do and have ever since Gracie.
Goes back farther than that honestly. Been that way as long as I can remember…

I’m now convinced it will always be this way in the US. Any US lady with “potential” (and I use that word very begrudgingly) just needs to be prepared for the associated onslaught of media and fan attention. It’s gotten to the point where it should not be a surprise any more…