Interesting spin positions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Interesting spin positions

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I liked Biellmann's Biellmann alot, but I really do wish it was more rare now. That's probably why I liked it more: the rarity.

I do however prefer when she just had one hand on the blade like here: http://youtu.be/geTRwF5w8SY?t=2m50s

Is that just called a Biellmann variation? I'm not well educated so please let me know. Doesn't seem to be in the right position to be called a Y or an I.

Denise also had a fast headless scratch spin that I enjoyed (which is at the end of the performance along with the standard Biellmann).

Scovies

Final Flight
I love a good, classic layback like Sasha's. I really miss seeing a simple scratch spin that goes so fast it's blurred. I know spins are exhausting for skaters, but I wish you'd see more of those at the end of programs.

I really, really hate most I-spins. Even if someone who's hyper-flexible like Sasha or Julia does them... that flexed foot! Ew. And if the skater isn't flexible enough, you get something that looks like this (sorry, Akiko. I adore you, but not that spin). Pretty much any position that requires a flexed foot looks ugly to me, so I'd much rather see a Y-spin. The only person I've seen who can manage an I-spin with a pointed foot is So Youn Park.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ yes SoYoun's pointed toe I -spin is really pretty, it looks like a side-leg position in Chinese dance. also the position before the I-spin as you linked is also pretty with pointed toe. SoYoun also pointed her toes in her camel spin, but SoYoun does not point her toes in her lay-back...

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ I think a Japanese lady skate who recently anounced her retirement also does a back lay-back spin. please guess who that skater is ?:p

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
^^ I think a Japanese lady skate who recently anounced her retirement also does a back lay-back spin. please guess who that skater is ?:p

Oh god, it was Fumie. The worst spin I've ever seen, even made worse because she was a former world medalist and should know better. Just because you can somewhat do something doesn't mean you should. Yes, Fumie did a back layback and whatever extra level she got would be stripped by a -3 GOE. Absolutely horrible. She looked like me when I just started and was trying it all out and seeing what my old body can do. I'm sure someone can come up with Fumie doing this wretched layback. It's so ugly even satan would be horrified.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Oh god, it was Fumie. The worst spin I've ever seen, even made worse because she was a former world medalist and should know better. Just because you can somewhat do something doesn't mean you should. Yes, Fumie did a back layback and whatever extra level she got would be stripped by a -3 GOE. Absolutely horrible. She looked like me when I just started and was trying it all out and seeing what my old body can do. I'm sure someone can come up with Fumie doing this wretched layback. It's so ugly even satan would be horrified.

can you link a video, please? did she do it during her prime or past it? or was it like her regular spin she did in her career?

oh and thanks yyy! :laugh: I knew it wouldn't be mao since you did say that the skater has recently retired and she didn't yet

Last edited: