Weaver and Poje not ‘placeholders’ | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Weaver and Poje not ‘placeholders’

uhh

Medalist
French FD was beautifully choreographed, and looks light and airy, but in turns of skating it's much easier then the Four Seasons program, wich is probably the most intricate dance this year in turms of theqnice. PC's Free dance has a lots of open holds, two foot skating, and much more crossovers, and it wasn't executed well at the worlds. Several times they were out of synchronization on several elements, including twizzels, and there was some stumbles. all those are visible, but the judges preferred to ignore all the mistakes, and gave them clean VM/DW kind of score. Accept the facts, WP were the best that day in terms of skating, even though they were a little slower than usual, and the judges choose them not to win, and we got a pair of "chosen ones" who received a clear message from the judges, that they don't even need to skate clean to get monstrous scores. If that's doesn't screams politics, I don't know what is.

Agreed, and even if you accept them winning the FD, which on balance I can, they shouldn't have been close enough after the SD to W/P or C/B for it to have mattered, as there were timing problems and inconsistencies throughout. They performed both programs better at Euros, but that was not reflected in the scores.

This kind of overmarking hurts everyone - obviously the skaters who are cheated out of higher placements, but also the ones who are overmarked. They no longer have the incentives to work on their weakness, because whatever they put out will be rewarded; we saw this with Patrick Chan in the last quad. It can also lead to an early backlash, as we saw with the Shibs after their medal in 2011. You can bet that the other powerful federations will be doing all they can behind the scenes to make sure that P/C aren't treated as the chosen ones for the next 3 years.

BlackPack

Medalist
Agreed, and even if you accept them winning the FD, which on balance I can, they shouldn't have been close enough after the SD to W/P or C/B for it to have mattered, as there were timing problems and inconsistencies throughout. They performed both programs better at Euros, but that was not reflected in the scores.

This kind of overmarking hurts everyone - obviously the skaters who are cheated out of higher placements, but also the ones who are overmarked. They no longer have the incentives to work on their weakness, because whatever they put out will be rewarded; we saw this with Patrick Chan in the last quad. It can also lead to an early backlash, as we saw with the Shibs after their medal in 2011. You can bet that the other powerful federations will be doing all they can behind the scenes to make sure that P/C aren't treated as the chosen ones for the next 3 years.

I think P&C may still be vulnerable. Even though their SD is my favorite SD this season, their SD wasn't that well-received. So they still may have "weak" programs. Now they're expected to replicate programs at the level of their Mozart FD. I don't know if that's possible every season. If anything, I'm afraid they'll burn out or crumble under high expectations. No one ice dancer ever won the World title on their second trip to Worlds. V&M won a silver on their second trip, but V&M were still more polished and intricate than P&C.

I think Patrice and Marie-France are great trainers and come up with great concept programs as seen with Hurtado and Diaz. But even they must be feeling the pressure too.

Last edited:

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
This is very interesting:
Quote from above:

Second after the SD in Shanghai....will be interesting to see what happens in the FD!

1 CHOCK/BATES USA 74.47
2 WEAVER/POJE CAN 72.68
3 CAPPELLINI/LANOTTEITA ITA 72.39
4 PAPADAKIS/CIZERON FRA 71.94

I Think at 2013 World Junior Championships in Milan that Aldridge and Eaton were pretty close to C&P until Gabriella she was injured during practice session
the free dances are available on line.

Concur that C&P are much improved since back two years ago
Looking forward to next season
Ice dance
Rank Name Nation Total points[15] SD[16] FD[17]
1 Alexandra Stepanova / Ivan Bukin Russia 150.17 1 64.65 1 85.52
2 Gabriella Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron France 143.26 2 61.58 3 81.68
3 Alexandra Aldridge / Daniel Eaton United States 139.33 3 56.89 2 82.44

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do think there is a political edge to the scoring. After four years with the top two steps of the podium filled by NA teams, last year a European team stood at the top. Perhaps there was a reluctance to have a NA team back at the top, let alone two NA teams at the top again, as at the GPF. By elevating a new European team to a definitive point edge over the competition, it's a kind of insurance that NA domination is finally at an end.

Weathergal

Medalist
I was disappointed that they skated to Four Seasons in the beginning in the season, taking a traditional route when they have been known to do programs with a twist or a unique stamp of their style. However, I thought it was a masterpiece of a program, possibly the best Four Seasons I've ever seen. Ultimately, P&C's superior skating skills and awe-inspiring FD blew W&P out of contention. I can accept that, but it was shocking the way W&P were winning everything all season and suddenly they're delegated to bronze. So the judging is once again stilted and uneven. Somewhere along the lines, it became acceptable that once P&C skated clean, they would win.

I think next season will be hardest for P&C. They're such a young pair. They must be overwhelmed by their sudden success. Not too long ago, their programs were juniorish camp. Can they do something like Mozart again next season? How do they keep this level of creativity, and a program that has been accepted and lauded no like there's tomorrow? It's hard to churn out good programs consistently.

W&P are going to have play catch up again. I still think they will become World Champions at some point, having missed 2 opportunities already.

I do agree when someone said C&L are the placeholders. They're not as talented as the others and their programs haven't been the most memorable. W&P had programs that brought the house down.

BlackPack, you've summer up my feelings about both pairs--both of whose skating I enjoy--perfectly.