Gracie Gold post-4CC thoughts | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold post-4CC thoughts

jagragold

On the Ice
Hi! As you all know, Gracie is having a difficult time right now or so it seems... Every time she competes she doesn't land many of her jumps. Last 4CC was a disaster.. I feel sorry for her.. what could the problem be? IMO it is a mental problem but I'm not 100% sure.. what do you think?

loopy

Final Flight
It must be hard to go out there and perform well with so many expectations on her shoulders. She looks like maybe there is a lack of fun too - I may have missed it but remember when she would juggle before skating? She used to look so happy and excited. Maybe she should have taken a break after nationals to get in the best shape mentally and recover physically. I would think the foot issue has a part to play as well - even if it is 100 percent, mentally you still have to recover from a break as well.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Her programs do not fit her well at all. She needs fast, powerful, dynamic music. It's hard to get comfortable with a program if it doesn't fit you well.

I'd say if she doesn't already have a sports psychologist she should get one asap, but I'm betting most top skaters have one.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Half the time I don't agree with what TSL says, but this time I think they were right on the money. Loopy (above) pointed out that it might be her foot issue, but I don't think that's really the case. Maybe a relating factor, but it's a distraction compared to the bigger picture.

While Gracie did fairly well at Nationals and the Olympics under Frank Carroll's coaching, it's apparent that her mental game has gone back to what it's always been. The last time she performed a clean free skate was at the team event at the Olympics (barely) and before that was 2013 Nationals when she earned a silver medal (or perhaps at WTT that same year?). Even her National and NHK titles weren't won without mistakes; upon re-viewing, I noticed that some of her jumps were scratchy and there was that one major mistake in both free skating performances (it was probably the 3F as it always is).

Fast, powerful, and dynamic music isn't going to help her much if she can't muster up the OOMPH to secure her mental game during competitions (see "Courtney Hicks"). Perhaps it'll create the illusion that she's in more control, but the music is clearly not the only thing she needs to change; that comes after a change in mentality. Her jumps have gotten scratchy as well. But if you think about it, was there always little ride-out from them? From 2013 Nationals (video) observations, I remember her rotations were quicker than Yuna's and her jump landings had more impact, but I can't remember if there was little ride-out from her jumps as well.

Either way, I agree with the OP. Gracie at the end of her free skate at both Nationals and Four Continents was a sorry sight. You could feel her anguish through the screen. Maybe she does better when she's chasing rather than when she's defending? :think: No, I don't know if that's right either. I do hope that she works out her problems, but she'll probably have to change a lot of things in the process.

Last edited:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I think she'll at pull herself back up for Worlds. I noticed that while she never have the perfect performance during worlds, she doesn't necessarily bomb in either one, so I think U.S will still have three spots next year. If she does bombs, then I guess coaching change might be one option? I do think she needs a better packaging, in terms of music and choreography and maybe a new coach can help her finding her personality on the ice. I don't think music will instantly solve her nerve problems though. Clearly, there are more deep rooted issues at work here. Her practices are always bang on but when it comes to competition she just headcased her way through it. It's even more evident that if she makes a mistake in the sp, she'll make the same mistake in the fs (the 3ltz/3 toe combo in both sp and fs in 4cc).

As much as some people doesn't care about Polina's mentality, I kinda wish Gracie has some of them lol. She's a phenomenal jumper and had all the ability to become world champion, especially since Yuna/Mao/Carolina is not competing.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Like the song from Frozen "Let it Go". Lots of skaters j ust need to let it go. Let it flow. Let it grow - just let it go. Don't hold back. Gracie might be in a great place now being the underdog after some rough skates.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think she is struggling with dealing with the removal of the rose colored glasses and the reality that sometimes it is not about you. It really does not matter how well Gracie did at Nationals, it was clear powers that be wanted Ashley to win. So my guess is she is learning somewhat unpleasantly about politics and favorites.

She took the ice for her free skate at nationals to hear that she would need to beat her personal best by well over 10 points to win, that has got to be a strike to the gut. Knowing that even the best you have ever done is not near good enough has got to painful. Does not seem strange to still be burned out on it at 4CCs how much do you want to try when you feel like the results are impacted by more than just skating?

Gracie needs to decide if she still want to skate, assuming the answer is yes, she needs to skate how it makes her happy and worry about enjoying herself next season more than worrying about winning. She needs to find her own passion, and she needs to learn to compete with herself rather than the other skaters, judges, or federations.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Or you can chalk it to the fact that 4CCs is only 3 weeks after Nationals and it's hard to peak again after such pressure-cooker competition. Jason was clearly a bit off here (there was that whole quad thing, but he made very silly erros in the free too).

But that doesn't explain the meltdown, I suppose.

lelequaglia

Rinkside
IMO, Gracie hasn't got the right mindset needed in order to compete with the best skaters in the world: she has everything, as we know, but isn't capable of put all together when it comes to compete. I think that her approach with competition is wrong, because or she is too worried, she fails her beginning jumps, when she is tto relaxed, she tends to pop or fall or do silly mistakes (like repeating 2Ts) at the end of the program.
I have found this practice video from 2015 4CC, which means that she was in the right shape and in the right mindset, for this practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlOg1V4PX5s
She is a bad headcase, but I still love her, and I hope that at Worlds she will prove that I'm wrong.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think she is struggling with dealing with the removal of the rose colored glasses and the reality that sometimes it is not about you. It really does not matter how well Gracie did at Nationals, it was clear powers that be wanted Ashley to win. So my guess is she is learning somewhat unpleasantly about politics and favorites.
No such thing. Ashley outskated Gracie in both programs and won. If Gracie didn't want to take to the ice in her long program knowing she had no chance, perhaps she should've done better in the short. If anything, she was overscored at both Nationals (not relative to Ashley, who was also overscored, but relative to the people below her) and 4CC, and lucky to place 2nd/4th.

I don't think Gracie believes she's several tiers above everyone else and can/should win everything as long as she doesn't melt down.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
IMO, Gracie hasn't got the right mindset needed in order to compete with the best skaters in the world: she has everything, as we know, but isn't capable of put all together when it comes to compete. I think that her approach with competition is wrong, because or she is too worried, she fails her beginning jumps, when she is tto relaxed, she tends to pop or fall or do silly mistakes (like repeating 2Ts) at the end of the program.
I have found this practice video from 2015 4CC, which means that she was in the right shape and in the right mindset, for this practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlOg1V4PX5s
She is a bad headcase, but I still love her, and I hope that at Worlds she will prove that I'm wrong.

Her issues are 100% mental. I'd have guessed after last year she'd have felt more confident but maybe not.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Gracie looked like she might have been sick, or maybe just exhausted, at 4CCs. She's always pale, but she looked extra pale to the point of looking kind of translucent at 4CCs and her eye area seemed puffy, which could definitely mean she was sick or fighting something off. She may also be anemic, which can give the skin that translucent look, and also make you really tired, it's usually not a big deal but competing in 2 competitions in a row, it could have an effect on her. I don't believe Gracie is a vegetarian though so I'm not sure why she would suddenly become anemic. In any event, she just seemed a bit out of it which makes me hopeful she can do at least a little better at Worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Or you can chalk it to the fact that 4CCs is only 3 weeks after Nationals and it's hard to peak again after such pressure-cooker competition. Jason was clearly a bit off here (there was that whole quad thing, but he made very silly erros in the free too).

But that doesn't explain the meltdown, I suppose.

It was a very different situation though with Jason since he had used 4CC to try the quad in the SP and rearranging his SP was a gamble that buried him, so the FS was simply trying to pull himself up.

Gracie on the other hand was poised to win. She made two errors in the SP and still stayed close to Miyahara (a gift, really) and then by the FS she had a great opportunity to win after Miyahara bombed but simply couldn't get it together (and was gifted with 4th and the best PCS). It's pretty apparent that the pressure simply got to her. She seems to be performing better when she's not expected to win, so maybe that will help her going into Worlds.

Her programs simply don't suit her. She needs to completely re-work her image and, like Ashley, choose faster more passionate pieces of music that engage the crowd - and herself. You think to Ashley's Moulin Rouge program, when she opens with that 2A on the music - you can tell it energizes her and sets the tone for a program with passion and attack.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I find it a little strange that in the K&C at 4 CC Gracie did not seem all that concerned with her marks or her placement. She was more concerned about the candy.

Some people are saying that she should change coaches and leave Frank. I wouldn't be surprised if Frank left her. He didn't seem amused in the K & C.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I find it a little strange that in the K&C at 4 CC Gracie did not seem all that concerned with her marks or her placement. She was more concerned about the candy.

Some people are saying that she should change coaches and leave Frank. I wouldn't be surprised if Frank left her. He didn't seem amused in the K & C.

Oh, she knew she was in for it. At that point, nothing can be done -- you can only at least try to act chipper.

If anything, it was a better reaction than other skaters who have had meltdowns on the ice and breakdowns in the Kiss & Cry (...Pogo.. :slink: :drama:)

Frank won't leave her though. She's got too much stock. If anything, she should consider a coaching change. He's given her massive political clout (I mean, he basically helped her to a 4th in Sochi given the huuuge PCS boost), but without inconsistency and mental toughness it doesn't matter how much sway you have. Thanks to Frank, the judges are ready to give Gold the marks to win, but thanks to Frank, Gold seems to lack the packaging and the consistency needed to win. :shrug:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I think she was probably distracting herself so she didn't show a lot of emotion. I know when I don't want to show my sadness or tears in public, I usually start fidgeting with things, so I don't think about it and start crying.